ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Paid for travel time?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Daisybeeuk
Posts: 6
Joined: 10 Nov 2020, 10:29
Gender: Female

Paid for travel time?

Post by Daisybeeuk »

Hi, I'm a reserve on a 25 hour contract, 5 day week. I have been told that I will have to work at an DO half an hour from my normal DO and have been working there all week. I get there at 9 and I'm out on delivery until 2 to 3 o'clock. Am I right in believing that travel time is paid as overtime as it takes half an hour drive from my normal office to there. Managers I have spoke to seem unsure, or are not telling me the right information 🤔
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Dexydog »

Yes it is included, from the point of your delivery office, regardless of where you live, even if it is closer to your destination DO than your normal office.
And don't use your car unless you want to claim mileage allowance.
5 hours minus an hour there and back, minus a minute meal relief leaves you with a 3 hour 40 delivery time.
Daisybeeuk
Posts: 6
Joined: 10 Nov 2020, 10:29
Gender: Female

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Daisybeeuk »

If I am out on delivery for the full 5 hours do I get the hour travelling there and back as overtime? And if the manager refuses, where do I stand? Thanks
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Start at your DO at your start time.
Make them provide the transport.
Cut off at the other DO giving yourself ample time to get back to your parent DO for the end of your shift.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Dexydog »

It's really simple.
If you want the overtime, anything over 3 hours 40 should be booked.
If you want to make a stand because you don't want to be moved, do 3 hours 40 and take anything back you don't have time for.
Do you use your car?-if you're ok with that (personally I would tell them to shove it), claim mileage allowance. If you don't want to, ask for a van at your home office and knock half hour each way off your 5 hours.
If none available ask for your bus/taxi fare both ways and include however long it takes in your 5 hours (4 hours 40 with meal relief).
Don't let them try to tell you any different.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Have a search of previous posts, it's all in there.... because it's always happening. :no no

Basically your clock starts at your "Home" Office. If you want to be akward you are entitled to get transport provided from there, be it Taxi, Bus, or RM Van. Sometimes they'll offer a mileage allowance (but TBH your Car Insurance only covers you for transport to a "Single" place of work) and sometimes they'll let you claim the travelling time as OT. If you're really pushy you might be able to negotiate both! :hmmmm

Don't forget to take/claim your Full Meal Relief, and the clock doesn't stop until you get back to your "Home" Office. It's down to you how much you let the DOM take the piss. But if you let them they'll have you working for free. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Celtic warrior
Posts: 101
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 16:23
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Celtic warrior »

Daisybeeuk wrote: ↑
22 Apr 2021, 19:31
Managers I have spoke to seem unsure, or are not telling me the right information 🤔
Managers will always use the "I'm not too sure" line in the hope you'll not pursue the question / task and save them the grief of organising the task properly.

AS previous guys have said, your times start and finish at your parent office, so travel time is included.

Speak to your manager and tell him you know this to be true and insist on what you want, either OT or start and finish at your parent office.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Dexydog »

It depends what the OP wants.
An hours mileage allowance will add up, there may not be O/T at his/her parent office, therefore it might pay for them to do it.
If they don't want the hassle, just ask for what they now know to be the correct amounts, and they will move onto the next person they think don't know the rules on this.
Chances are once they know it's gonna cost O/T and mileage allowance they'll stop asking.
Just another case of bullying and harassment going unchecked, as there is absolutely no doubt a DOM doesn't know what he's doing.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

30 mins meal relief on 5 hours so with an hours travel 3.30 on delivery.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Dexydog »

Apologies to OP, I thought it was 20 minutes for 5 hours.
Better still!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Daisybeeuk wrote: ↑
22 Apr 2021, 19:31
Hi, I'm a reserve on a 25 hour contract, 5 day week. I have been told that I will have to work at an DO half an hour from my normal DO and have been working there all week. I get there at 9 and I'm out on delivery until 2 to 3 o'clock. Am I right in believing that travel time is paid as overtime as it takes half an hour drive from my normal office to there. Managers I have spoke to seem unsure, or are not telling me the right information 🤔
Quick Example; I was asked to go to another DO .... Clock started .... when I got there the walk hadn't gone out for days .... several days mail to throw off, plus households .... and Bloody Double Slots! :arrrghhh

I plodded my way through it for a couple of hours, with all the Regular Posties disappearing out the door early ...... I finally finished off doing the Redirections and Dead Letters ..... walked into the DOMs office (where he and his Linos were having a good chat & a laugh) and said, "Well I've finished prepping that walk .... by the time I take my Meal Relief, and travelled back it'll be time for me to knock off". :shock: :shock: :shock:

As the advert goes "The look on their faces .... Priceless"! They were fully expecting me to take it out and deliver it, but as we know the ONLY thing we have control over is our Contracted Finishing Time. :left:

Needless to say I wasn't ever asked to go back to that DO. You really do have to stand up for yourself DB or they will take the piss! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Dexydog »

Excellent.
Good work.
Wolf91
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Wolf91 »

Did this to me a few years back when I joined.
Make them provide the travel, in my case they provided a van for retention.
Leave on your start time, take your meal relief, cut-off and be back at your office for your finish time.
The DOM’s soon think twice about sending you elsewhere when you cut off half way around, then the manager at said office whinges about no completion of duty.
I work to time, not completion - see ya later ! :wave
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by iHateD2Ds »

Years ago When I was a Sub Delvery Office reserve I received travelling time and mileage allowance,
both claimed by filling out separate forms.
Like the previous replies state
1) start and finish your shift at your parent office (any time outside your contracted hours is overtime)
2) claim your mileage or use a RM van

I personally would not use public transport or taxi during a Pandemic.
Scotland1990
Posts: 62
Joined: 12 Sep 2016, 15:41
Gender: Male

Re: Paid for travel time?

Post by Scotland1990 »

This used to happen to me constantly, didn’t mind it. Started at my office on my time finished at my office on my time. Got driven about normally in a managers private car.

Since covid we have been told we aren’t allowed to be moved offices however.