ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Post by Gangham_style14 »

Personally I think they should cut managers roles if this is forced upon us, if we are "in charge" of our jobs and it's down to us to find cover etc then why do we need line managers ?
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Post by Ozzvaldo »

I wouldn't be surprised if this "owning your own route" crap and being responsible for delivering it until finished, whatever time that may be, has been floated because the Gestapo know that virtually nobody will work past a mandated finishing time of 5pm should it ever come in and they'll be swimming in cut-offs.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Ozzvaldo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this "owning your own route" crap and being responsible for delivering it until finished, whatever time that may be, has been floated because the Gestapo know that virtually nobody will work past a mandated finishing time of 5pm should it ever come in and they'll be swimming in cut-offs.
If RM does insist on the one wave and literally all letters being sequenced and later start times then some DO staff won't start their walks until 4/5pm as it'll be physically impossible to get their mail sequenced before then!
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Post by Ozzvaldo »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ozzvaldo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this "owning your own route" crap and being responsible for delivering it until finished, whatever time that may be, has been floated because the Gestapo know that virtually nobody will work past a mandated finishing time of 5pm should it ever come in and they'll be swimming in cut-offs.
If RM does insist on the one wave and literally all letters being sequenced and later start times then some DO staff won't start their walks until 4/5pm as it'll be physically impossible to get their mail sequenced before then!
My current shared van delivery takes at least 4 and a half hours with normal traffic levels. The location of my office a long distance from our mail centre means we are probably one of the latest in the entire country to receive the mail/go out on delivery etc at the moment. I don't think the scenario of starting walks at 5pm can possibly happen. Delivering at 9.00pm to pubs, houses with elderly occupants who won't answer the door when it's dark, the health and safety issues of working completely in the dark in the Winter, all the businesses closed, gangs of kids hanging around the streets, driving in rural areas at night etc. You name it, it's a total disaster.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Ozzvaldo wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ozzvaldo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this "owning your own route" crap and being responsible for delivering it until finished, whatever time that may be, has been floated because the Gestapo know that virtually nobody will work past a mandated finishing time of 5pm should it ever come in and they'll be swimming in cut-offs.
If RM does insist on the one wave and literally all letters being sequenced and later start times then some DO staff won't start their walks until 4/5pm as it'll be physically impossible to get their mail sequenced before then!
My current shared van delivery takes at least 4 and a half hours with normal traffic levels. The location of my office a long distance from our mail centre means we are probably one of the latest in the entire country to receive the mail/go out on delivery etc at the moment. I don't think the scenario of starting walks at 5pm can possibly happen. Delivering at 9.00pm to pubs, houses with elderly occupants who won't answer the door when it's dark, the health and safety issues of working completely in the dark in the Winter, all the businesses closed, gangs of kids hanging around the streets, driving in rural areas at night etc. You name it, it's a total disaster.
And all this to get a few next day parcels from the competition.
mccoop
Posts: 43
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 16:19

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Post by mccoop »

PDA 's have been mapping all our routes,collections and at any time they could print off any duty time to the second... :Boo hoo!
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Post by rambo1 »

fishtank wrote:
Janet Brum wrote:It looks to me like RM used this delivery owning as a distraction from the main event, the upcoming strike.
Keep them busy with other stuff, so they thought :arrrghhh

I think in some ways you're right, they've thrown into the mix a proposal with no clear definition and allowed the staff to invent the biggest scariest monster their imagination could come up with. What that gives them scope to do is come back with a much milder version of that monster and the staff will breathe a sigh of relief.

I don't think this has anything to do with franchising , I don't think it's about covering sick leave or annual leave, I think it's simply a case of reducing extended delivery overtime and balancing work hours perhaps with some kind of annualised hours or even a more controlled weekly hours monitoring. If you like it's simply a resurrection of "swings and roundabouts" from P&M 2007 but with far more focus on hours actually worked. The title of the thread seems to have confused some people, by a return to job and finish what I meant was you'll be allowed to job and finish but you won't score out of it because any time gained will be logged and balanced against any overtime worked, either on a weekly, monthly or the nuclear option...annually.

Some offices already do this, it's called "banking hours" but it's unofficial and there is no agreement primarily because we don't trust their monitoring systems but these data trials are a game changer.
So does that mean if I'm 7hrs over by Friday, I only have to come in for an hr on Saturday? Thought not. That would be swings and roundabouts though. Lol.
tone123
Posts: 44
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
Gender: Male

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Post by tone123 »

I cannot see how this 'ownership' concept can work in any possible way for part timers. They are already employed for fewer hours than the duties actually require. There is nothing to make this vague proposal attractive to the p/t staff as they will gain nothing because they are never in a position to knock off early but will lose a great deal when they are constantly forced to do unpaid overtime. And no recognition of this in holiday or sick pay.

It's a non-starter.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Owning your delivery ( a return to job and finish )

Post by postslippete »

rambo1 wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Janet Brum wrote:It looks to me like RM used this delivery owning as a distraction from the main event, the upcoming strike.
Keep them busy with other stuff, so they thought :arrrghhh

I think in some ways you're right, they've thrown into the mix a proposal with no clear definition and allowed the staff to invent the biggest scariest monster their imagination could come up with. What that gives them scope to do is come back with a much milder version of that monster and the staff will breathe a sigh of relief.

I don't think this has anything to do with franchising , I don't think it's about covering sick leave or annual leave, I think it's simply a case of reducing extended delivery overtime and balancing work hours perhaps with some kind of annualised hours or even a more controlled weekly hours monitoring. If you like it's simply a resurrection of "swings and roundabouts" from P&M 2007 but with far more focus on hours actually worked. The title of the thread seems to have confused some people, by a return to job and finish what I meant was you'll be allowed to job and finish but you won't score out of it because any time gained will be logged and balanced against any overtime worked, either on a weekly, monthly or the nuclear option...annually.

Some offices already do this, it's called "banking hours" but it's unofficial and there is no agreement primarily because we don't trust their monitoring systems but these data trials are a game changer.
So does that mean if I'm 7hrs over by Friday, I only have to come in for an hr on Saturday? Thought not. That would be swings and roundabouts though. Lol.

:chuckle :chuckle

Sadly, the swings and roundabouts only work for Royal Mails benefit. I mean I would be more than prepared to work past my time during the week in return for having loops taken off so that I could finish earlier on Saturday - but they won't have it. They would much rather I came into work later on a Saturday and have someone else prep the duty.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.