ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by Brandy »

ewancurze wrote:Well,tomorrow, on the last day of the heatwave they are finally getting a few early sorters in so we can get out "early".
Typical RM they always do things cock handed!
hero22
Posts: 596
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by hero22 »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:Do Fire Fighters work in the sun. Yes

Do Road Workers work in the heat. Yes

Do Bin Men work in the heat. Yes

Man up people.

This bloke is my DOM I reckon. :wave
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:Do Fire Fighters work in the sun. Yes

Do Road Workers work in the heat. Yes

Do Bin Men work in the heat. Yes

Man up people.
Don't make assumptions based on ignorance.

Road workers take more breaks, and water on demand.

Bin men start earlier and are provided with water and more breaks back at base. (Kirklees Council)

Firefighters have - well hoses full of water to cool down, they also plan extra breaks even on the fire ground, and call in reinforcements as and when need. (I worked with Fire Fighters back in another heat wave in the 80s)

Man Up is a stupid comment that ignores the dangers of hot weather. If you can cope fine, however, age, weight, gender and health all have a bearing and everyone is different. Have some f***ing empathy with your colleagues.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by LaggyBand »

So the top union then are so detached from what is going on at ground level not to even ask about “chilling out” on the lapsing?

We were told to be careful in the heat today, and also told that we’re doing double lapsing.
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by MinTee »

Well I had to go off sick due to heat exhaustion. Around 4 yesterday I just lost all energy. Currently lounging around with a blistering headache, heard they had double lapsing today too.

Getting ridiculous
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by clashcityrocker »

All they need to do is stop sorting at 7, then tie up and go.
When you get back you could sort the second wave and IPS ready for the next day.
When the heatwave is over you go back to normal.
We fail mail when it is icy. Why can't we fail mail when it is dangerously hot?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by LaggyBand »

clashcityrocker wrote:All they need to do is stop sorting at 7, then tie up and go.
When you get back you could sort the second wave and IPS ready for the next day.
When the heatwave is over you go back to normal.
We fail mail when it is icy. Why can't we fail mail when it is dangerously hot?
Sounds like a clever plan but I’m still saying why are they not asking for a nationwide hold on lapsing as a gesture of “ we do not put profit before health and safety”.

Have to infer that they do
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12198
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

clashcityrocker wrote:All they need to do is stop sorting at 7, then tie up and go.
When you get back you could sort the second wave and IPS ready for the next day.
When the heatwave is over you go back to normal.
We fail mail when it is icy. Why can't we fail mail when it is dangerously hot?
Wouldn't work, you'd fail the specials and you'd get a sizeable chunk of work in after 7
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by crimson king »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:All they need to do is stop sorting at 7, then tie up and go.
When you get back you could sort the second wave and IPS ready for the next day.
When the heatwave is over you go back to normal.
We fail mail when it is icy. Why can't we fail mail when it is dangerously hot?
Wouldn't work, you'd fail the specials and you'd get a sizeable chunk of work in after 7
I'm probably being daft, but couldn't you have some reserves on standby to mop up the specials and any other time sensitive items like tracked?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12198
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

crimson king wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:All they need to do is stop sorting at 7, then tie up and go.
When you get back you could sort the second wave and IPS ready for the next day.
When the heatwave is over you go back to normal.
We fail mail when it is icy. Why can't we fail mail when it is dangerously hot?
Wouldn't work, you'd fail the specials and you'd get a sizeable chunk of work in after 7
I'm probably being daft, but couldn't you have some reserves on standby to mop up the specials and any other time sensitive items like tracked?
Do DOs have enough reserves for that to happen?
sequinn
Posts: 71
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 21:58
Gender: Female

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by sequinn »

Today the dash thermometer in my van reached 43degrees!! Was at 40 to 42 for most of my shift. I was out from 10.30 to 4.30pm (over my time) having started work at 7.30. I drank water throughout the shift but now not feeling so good. Not one phone call from a manager to check that we are ok. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t be working in this heat but with no air con in the van you don’t get a chance to ever cool down. I had a break but once I had stopped I really didn’t feel like going out in the heat again. I am 63 years old and hope I never have to work during another summer like this. Only 2 years 7 months before retirement yeh!!!
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by Flashman_ »

clashcityrocker wrote:All they need to do is stop sorting at 7, then tie up and go.
When you get back you could sort the second wave and IPS ready for the next day.
When the heatwave is over you go back to normal.
We fail mail when it is icy. Why can't we fail mail when it is dangerously hot?
Its not bloody rocket science, of course this plan is doable, its just the bosses would loose their bonus. That is the real reason they would not do not do something like this. This should have been discussed years ago by our beloved union when they started moving start, finish times around.
rodtheplod
Posts: 20
Joined: 04 Apr 2017, 14:33
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by rodtheplod »

The Unions position in our office will be like everything else, as long as the Rep and his cronies keep their cushy jobs they wont care.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by Brandy »

I really do feel for you posties,I am finding it hard in this heat and am not a postie anymore. I just dont know how you all cope,I really dont,just hope that it soon cools down for you all.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Union's position on working in extreme heat?

Post by eastie »

sequinn wrote:Today the dash thermometer in my van reached 43degrees!! Was at 40 to 42 for most of my shift. I was out from 10.30 to 4.30pm (over my time) having started work at 7.30. I drank water throughout the shift but now not feeling so good. Not one phone call from a manager to check that we are ok. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t be working in this heat but with no air con in the van you don’t get a chance to ever cool down. I had a break but once I had stopped I really didn’t feel like going out in the heat again. I am 63 years old and hope I never have to work during another summer like this. Only 2 years 7 months before retirement yeh!!!
Why didnt you cut off at your finish time ???
:arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh