ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
This is inhumane! (The weather)
-
Chris413
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
I'm a new starter and my round is around 8 miles, and with this heat have been throwing up and feeling unwell. Takes me longer in the morning to get my frame ready and I am one of the few with a pure foot route. Most days I have to work over my working hours to get completed but I am scared to bring mail back as I am within my 6 months probation period. Also seems weird with one of the hardest routes that I still have to do absorption. I'm 53 years old and my body is suffering big time in this heat. Bit scary at times as well as I am diabetic and struggle more in the heat than a full healthy person can.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
This is inhumane! (The weather)
In that case, I'm guessing that you are part time?Chris413 wrote:I'm a new starter .
Is it fully prepped for you? You probably should be doing redirections (and maybe sorting your packets) then bundling up.Chris413 wrote: Takes me longer in the morning to get my frame ready .
If it isn't fully prepped you will struggle right from the start.
No you don't. That is purely to fill in any spare time you have. You obviously don't have any. Tell the manager before you go out that you don't have time for it. Don't take it.Chris413 wrote: I still have to do absorption.
-
Chris413
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
I have a split most days at the minute as we are down on colleagues.NewPostieUK wrote:In that case, I'm guessing that you are part time?Chris413 wrote:I'm a new starter .
Im on 35 Hours
Is it fully prepped for you? You probably should be doing redirections (and maybe sorting your packets) then bundling up.Chris413 wrote: Takes me longer in the morning to get my frame ready .
If it isn't fully prepped you will struggle right from the start.
No most days I fill all my slots, then do my packages (on my round theirs a lot), Take out the big parcels in a van, come back do then rest of the parcels. Then do my re-directions, then bundle up, fill the cart and leave the DO on foot.
No you don't. That is purely to fill in any spare time you have. You obviously don't have any. Tell the manager before you go out that you don't have time for it. Don't take it.Chris413 wrote: I still have to do absorption.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
This is inhumane! (The weather)
Well that's unusual, but good for you. You still can't be expected to do the same as 39 hr workers.Chris413 wrote:
Im on 35 Hours
Not your problem. You are being asked to help out, if you want to overtime fair enough, but you can't be forced to go over your time.Chris413 wrote:
I have a split most days at the minute as we are down on colleagues.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
Another 2/3 weeks of 23-29 degrees? Can’t hack this weather, makes the job absolutely unbearable. Wet through with sweat at 11am isn’t great lol
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
Don't worry too much about the sunshine - it's a blessing we rarely see in the UK. The temperatures are due to drop off from July 17th and from July 20th the rain is due to start. Expect it to continue raining from then on on a regular basis until Spring 2019. We can all go back to moaning about the rain and the cold then. Some people spend thousands of pounds to go somewhere to see the sunshine.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
It’s meant to rain briefly 1-3 days then continue to be 24-29 next few weeks. Sun was nice at first now it’s just too muchCelgar wrote:Don't worry too much about the sunshine - it's a blessing we rarely see in the UK. The temperatures are due to drop off from July 17th and from July 20th the rain is due to start. Expect it to continue raining from then on on a regular basis until Spring 2019. We can all go back to moaning about the rain and the cold then. Some people spend thousands of pounds to go somewhere to see the sunshine.
-
south London postie
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
It struck me today what I would really like attached to my trolley is something like - maybe a bit smaller and lighter - one of those beer garden umbrellas ! 
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
I'd rather have the beer garden attached to mine!Andy-B wrote:It struck me today what I would really like attached to my trolley is something like - maybe a bit smaller and lighter - one of those beer garden umbrellas !
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Chris413
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
Well I am really worried about the next 2 weeks, this week the temp is up near 30 and next week it has been forecased for even hotter temps. Even working in 25 degrees I was struggling a bit with energy levels, being wet through with sweat and having enough strength to push the cart around the whole route. I am already drinking over 2 litres of water a day and by the end of the round I barely have the energy left to get back to the DO. Complete foot routes in this heat are I think going to get dangerous to some of us.
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 298
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
no rain in the south since may, the heat is expected to continue through august. I love the sunshine and warm weather but I wish I had a switch I could use to turn it off during my delivery.Celgar wrote:Don't worry too much about the sunshine - it's a blessing we rarely see in the UK. The temperatures are due to drop off from July 17th and from July 20th the rain is due to start. Expect it to continue raining from then on on a regular basis until Spring 2019. We can all go back to moaning about the rain and the cold then. Some people spend thousands of pounds to go somewhere to see the sunshine.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
I feel so sorry for anyone doing a walking route (hard ones) when I leave the DO at 2-2:20 on my way home I see people still at least another 45-1.2hours away from finishing. Don’t know how they do it.Chris413 wrote:Well I am really worried about the next 2 weeks, this week the temp is up near 30 and next week it has been forecased for even hotter temps. Even working in 25 degrees I was struggling a bit with energy levels, being wet through with sweat and having enough strength to push the cart around the whole route. I am already drinking over 2 litres of water a day and by the end of the round I barely have the energy left to get back to the DO. Complete foot routes in this heat are I think going to get dangerous to some of us.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
This is inhumane! (The weather)
Why should you work through your break? Everything is achievable if you take shortcuts. Put a grievance in against him for even suggesting it.MinTee wrote:Just as predictable as I thought. Within 15 minutes of me arriving the lino was on my back. Explained it all to him. He kept stating that I need to let him know before we cut off, I kept stating I tried and no one answered. Fingers in ears, eyes shut type scenario.MinTee wrote: Disgraceful, but yet I’ll get the bollocking for bringing work back.
He’s now going to investigate further and see if my partner did make outgoing calls to the office number (he did). He argued I could’ve finished it if I worked through my meal relief. Funny thing is I got rid of the packets on it to try and be helpful, but I didn’t have a spare 40 minutes to finish the 1/4 walk lapsing that was given to us.
Can’t wait to see if he’s going to try to take it further when we can easily get on CCTV and watch management leave early
-
Chris413
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
Well there now ready to give an Amber heat health alert for our area.
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 298
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
This is inhumane! (The weather)
had them before, means nothing to RM.Chris413 wrote:Well there now ready to give an Amber heat health alert for our area.