ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
I don't think it gets easier.
I'm feeling awful today. My hip has been hurting and my tendonitis isn't going away. But I need to buy some new shoes as my trainers have worn tread. I would wear the Magnum's but I find them too heavy to walk in.
I'm feeling awful today. My hip has been hurting and my tendonitis isn't going away. But I need to buy some new shoes as my trainers have worn tread. I would wear the Magnum's but I find them too heavy to walk in.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
No I never book extended delivery,I’m pretty much right up to my finish time which is fine by me,but when I’m a bit over,we are reminded by our boss of the swings and roundabout debarkle,when you finished nearly the other day blah blah,he hasn’t seen the we don’t bank hours memo! I just keep it in my locker to be used as and when,and usually finish some 1 and a half to 2 hours adrift of others,but that’s the void of the office that the boss ain’t bothered one hoot,we’re the minions keeping the average finishing time up,but get a few weeks pda actuals printed off and put a highlighter pen through some of the times and sit back and watch certain people implode!, hilarious!,,
-
compostcorner
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
nope, i never book any overtime, i"m pretty slow these days so i just finish when i finish, i get the job done in my own time, and i enjoy it more, the other question regarding the girls who didnt last very long, i would say they were all in their 20"s.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16711
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
So they were women.compostcorner wrote:... regarding the girls who didnt last very long, i would say they were all in their 20"s.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Rainbow
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 11 Oct 2008, 17:04
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
my tip would be - try and breakfast before you start work and bring food to eat on the round. drink plenty of water, give the legs a good stretch.
-
Smiller
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 27 Dec 2018, 17:31
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
I'm 66 want to work 3 days, royal mail I think just want to kill me off. Any other job would try and accommodate you.
-
kingdazzler
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 18 Mar 2019, 13:29
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
i've been in for 4 months and the first few weeks were bad, then i got shin splints "ouch" but it gets better. still tired by the end of the week especially if i've done 5 days straight but i'm loving the job. stick with it.
-
Wendy1962
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 01 Apr 2019, 14:57
- Gender: Female
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
A quick update , and thankyou to all your replies ...
I’m 57, and as a runner reasonably fit .. But going through the menopause...
I have never been soo physically and mentally exhausted ( I’ve done many manual and physical jobs , from aged 17 ) Being a Postwomen was equally as tough as my 1st ever job , but im 40 yrs older ...
I ran 3 times in a month ( running is my Mental stability ), too tired for my grandchildren and basically life out of work ... Not a good balance , so I resigned ... I have the utmost respect for all Posties you certainly graft and earn every penny ... I had to be honest with myself and go hands up this wasn’t for me ... look after yourselves
I’m 57, and as a runner reasonably fit .. But going through the menopause...
I have never been soo physically and mentally exhausted ( I’ve done many manual and physical jobs , from aged 17 ) Being a Postwomen was equally as tough as my 1st ever job , but im 40 yrs older ...
I ran 3 times in a month ( running is my Mental stability ), too tired for my grandchildren and basically life out of work ... Not a good balance , so I resigned ... I have the utmost respect for all Posties you certainly graft and earn every penny ... I had to be honest with myself and go hands up this wasn’t for me ... look after yourselves
-
lisag42
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
Good luck in whatever you do.Wendy1962 wrote:A quick update , and thankyou to all your replies ...
I’m 57, and as a runner reasonably fit .. But going through the menopause...
I have never been soo physically and mentally exhausted ( I’ve done many manual and physical jobs , from aged 17 ) Being a Postwomen was equally as tough as my 1st ever job , but im 40 yrs older ...
I ran 3 times in a month ( running is my Mental stability ), too tired for my grandchildren and basically life out of work ... Not a good balance , so I resigned ... I have the utmost respect for all Posties you certainly graft and earn every penny ... I had to be honest with myself and go hands up this wasn’t for me ... look after yourselves
I’m a month in but seriously considering resigning, it’s like disorganised chaos every day. No one seems to know what’s going on, I have to ask what my hrs are each day, never seem to finish on time because I’m paired with someone who starts & finishes later than me, no breaks and dare not risk having a drink for fear of needing the loo! Plus I’m knackered all the time so running & family are out of the question. Think I will get out sooner than later.
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
I'm genuinely curious, do you have a source for those stats? Or is that just anecdotal?Celgar wrote:If I am still alive at 60 I will retire then no matter what the retirement ages are then and maybe get a part time job elsewhere to top up. I'm not entirely sure I will make it to 60 though for various reasons. The general stats for posties surviving much beyond current retirement ages are not that good.
I would have thought the opposite, that the cardiovascular exercise, and lack of overweight posties would have skewed the stats towards above average life expectancy.
None of the posties in my office smoke nowadays either. Seems a general trend going by the other offices in my area too.
-
FAB
- Posts: 234
- Joined: 06 May 2017, 22:57
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
I'm knackered all the time and don't even seem to feel less tired when off work on holiday. Though a guy who was off work with a broken rib said it took about 6 weeks till he felt more energised!
As far as postmen dying young. I do see retired postmen around and they are in their early 80's and one now 89. I only know of two who died. One very soon after retiring , though he looked on deaths door while working. And one more recently...
As far as postmen dying young. I do see retired postmen around and they are in their early 80's and one now 89. I only know of two who died. One very soon after retiring , though he looked on deaths door while working. And one more recently...
-
FacesOfStone
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
How much are you working in comparison to your contract? If I’m doing a short duty, sometimes I’ll just say first thing that I won’t be doing overtime and just work four hours on that day. If I’m down for something longer, I’ll try to let them know in advance because I’ve never been given hassle for when I do have to cut off early, which I accept isn’t everyone's experience. In your case, you’re still on trial so they could see that happening frequently as reason to not keep you on, but if you’d decided to leave anyway, that probably wouldn’t break your heart...lisag42 wrote:Wendy1962 wrote:I’m a month in but seriously considering resigning, it’s like disorganised chaos every day. No one seems to know what’s going on, I have to ask what my hrs are each day, never seem to finish on time because I’m paired with someone who starts & finishes later than me, no breaks and dare not risk having a drink for fear of needing the loo! Plus I’m knackered all the time so running & family are out of the question. Think I will get out sooner than later.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 994
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
On a slightly different note I'm sure one of the worlds oldest people who died a few years ago was a postman for 45years.FAB wrote:I'm knackered all the time and don't even seem to feel less tired when off work on holiday. Though a guy who was off work with a broken rib said it took about 6 weeks till he felt more energised!
As far as postmen dying young. I do see retired postmen around and they are in their early 80's and one now 89. I only know of two who died. One very soon after retiring , though he looked on deaths door while working. And one more recently...
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
I take it he/she did not work for Royal Mail then.lcook282 wrote:On a slightly different note I'm sure one of the worlds oldest people who died a few years ago was a postman for 45years.FAB wrote:I'm knackered all the time and don't even seem to feel less tired when off work on holiday. Though a guy who was off work with a broken rib said it took about 6 weeks till he felt more energised!
As far as postmen dying young. I do see retired postmen around and they are in their early 80's and one now 89. I only know of two who died. One very soon after retiring , though he looked on deaths door while working. And one more recently...
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Soo tired ... Does it get easier???
Sounds like possible arthritis mate.Mick100 wrote:20 years in the job seems to be getting worse by the day when I'm on the move I'm ok but once I sit down in the evening I walk like a cripple 55 now and feel burnt out can I do another 12 years I just can't see it when I first started 20 years ago absolutely loved the job now it's just making me miserable
That's why I eventually got IHR - I was OK when moving, then after a 10-15 minute van trip back to the depot I stumbled out of the seat and was walking like I had just been to a Barrymore pool party. In the evening I just wanted to sit and not do anything for the same reasons you cite. I thought it wasn't right so got x-rays via the doc and it transpired I had osteoarthritis in my knee so had to go on lights. Then it recurred, which it would as there's no cure for worn-away cartilage and the other knee was the same, then an ankle. So after 3 rounds of light duties it was agreed with a RM OH consultant they gave me IHR as there was no realistic prospect of me being able to continue the duties required of me.
Now I work from home online and unless I really do an intense amount of physical work or exercise, I seldom even get the slightest twinge in the affected joints.
You only get one lot of cartilage mate and I would recommend you get it checked out, because painkillers (like I had initially) may get you through the shift but only mask the underling deterioration of your joints. It isn't worth building up to a retirement where you could be rendered immobile and frustrated with a greatly reduced quality of life. I am so glad I am pain-free now and have the capacity and energy for anything or any job the day brings now, without fearing stiffness or discomfort.
So I'd recommend you do go to the docs about this, as I would for any other poster in this thread with the same symptoms.
EDIT - FTR I am only slightly younger than you, which is another reason I suspect you have this condition.