ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
So I like a girl...
-
hero22
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
Could there be a chance she might have a sense of humour, tell him no chance mate and laugh it off ?
-
Ampersand
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 05 Feb 2019, 15:59
- Gender: Female
So I like a girl...
You can take precautions to make finding your address more difficult - I don't give my full name to men I meet at a bar; my social media is all under a stage name; I'm not on the electoral roll. Also, a postman potentially has access to much more info than just your address. Someone you've been seeing for years is a different matter - you've made the decision to trust them with your personal information. If they abuse that trust (which is all too common), that's awful and absolutely not your fault - but it's very different from it being someone you've been assigned rather than chosen.Woody Guthrie wrote:Isn't that always the case though whether it's some random in a bar or someone you've been seeing for years. Finding out where someone lives is not difficult if you're into that kind of thing so I don't really think it makes the postman more of a threat that he already knows.You know you're going to take your rejection like a champ and not do anything weird or scary, but she doesn't know that.
You could argue that he's less of a threat because he's your postman, it's not going to take even the dimmest local plod long to track him down if he does something is it?
Being able to identify him doesn't mean necessarily being able to do anything about it. It doesn't mean you can prove it and it doesn't protect you until after it gets significantly creepy.
-
Ampersand
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 05 Feb 2019, 15:59
- Gender: Female
So I like a girl...
Wanting to feel safe and not be made to feel uncomfortable in your own home isn't really a question of having a sense of humour.hero22 wrote:Could there be a chance she might have a sense of humour, tell him no chance mate and laugh it off ?
-
hero22
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
The guy liked the girl and came up with an idea of letting her know, maybe it was a bit naff maybe it wasn't but I'm interested as to how you would suggest he let her know. We are going to end up were people are terrified to interact with each other because of the fear of being classified a pervert/weirdo/stalker.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
Most of this thread is about a sense of humour ffs.Ampersand wrote:Wanting to feel safe and not be made to feel uncomfortable in your own home isn't really a question of having a sense of humour.hero22 wrote:Could there be a chance she might have a sense of humour, tell him no chance mate and laugh it off ?
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
Yeah we all give our full name on here so management know who we are. and yes they do spy on this forum.Ampersand wrote:You can take precautions to make finding your address more difficult - I don't give my full name to men I meet at a bar; my social media is all under a stage name; I'm not on the electoral roll. Also, a postman potentially has access to much more info than just your address. Someone you've been seeing for years is a different matter - you've made the decision to trust them with your personal information. If they abuse that trust (which is all too common), that's awful and absolutely not your fault - but it's very different from it being someone you've been assigned rather than chosen.Woody Guthrie wrote:Isn't that always the case though whether it's some random in a bar or someone you've been seeing for years. Finding out where someone lives is not difficult if you're into that kind of thing so I don't really think it makes the postman more of a threat that he already knows.You know you're going to take your rejection like a champ and not do anything weird or scary, but she doesn't know that.
You could argue that he's less of a threat because he's your postman, it's not going to take even the dimmest local plod long to track him down if he does something is it?
Being able to identify him doesn't mean necessarily being able to do anything about it. It doesn't mean you can prove it and it doesn't protect you until after it gets significantly creepy.
-
Ampersand
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 05 Feb 2019, 15:59
- Gender: Female
So I like a girl...
I would suggest he keep quiet and, if it never comes to anything, to deal with it and move on. You're prioritising his desire to hit on women over women's right to feel safe in their homes. We're really not going to end up as a sexless society because people give each other consideration as to what might be appropriate; in my experience, it's the opposite.hero22 wrote:The guy liked the girl and came up with an idea of letting her know, maybe it was a bit naff maybe it wasn't but I'm interested as to how you would suggest he let her know. We are going to end up were people are terrified to interact with each other because of the fear of being classified a pervert/weirdo/stalker.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
Have you read op's post he wants to know how to ask the girl out.Ampersand wrote:I would suggest he keep quiet and, if it never comes to anything, to deal with it and move on. You're prioritising his desire to hit on women over women's right to feel safe in their homes. We're really not going to end up as a sexless society because people give each other consideration as to what might be appropriate; in my experience, it's the opposite.hero22 wrote:The guy liked the girl and came up with an idea of letting her know, maybe it was a bit naff maybe it wasn't but I'm interested as to how you would suggest he let her know. We are going to end up were people are terrified to interact with each other because of the fear of being classified a pervert/weirdo/stalker.
-
Ampersand
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 05 Feb 2019, 15:59
- Gender: Female
So I like a girl...
Right. And sometimes the answer is "don't." His desire to hit on her does not outweigh her right to feel safe in her home.aiden01 wrote:Have you read op's post he wants to know how to ask the girl out.Ampersand wrote:I would suggest he keep quiet and, if it never comes to anything, to deal with it and move on. You're prioritising his desire to hit on women over women's right to feel safe in their homes. We're really not going to end up as a sexless society because people give each other consideration as to what might be appropriate; in my experience, it's the opposite.hero22 wrote:The guy liked the girl and came up with an idea of letting her know, maybe it was a bit naff maybe it wasn't but I'm interested as to how you would suggest he let her know. We are going to end up were people are terrified to interact with each other because of the fear of being classified a pervert/weirdo/stalker.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
Yes it does...because he knows you can identify him.Being able to identify him.....doesn't protect you until after it gets significantly creepy.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
hero22
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
Ampersand wrote:Right. And sometimes the answer is "don't." His desire to hit on her does not outweigh her right to feel safe in her home.aiden01 wrote:Have you read op's post he wants to know how to ask the girl out.Ampersand wrote:I would suggest he keep quiet and, if it never comes to anything, to deal with it and move on. You're prioritising his desire to hit on women over women's right to feel safe in their homes. We're really not going to end up as a sexless society because people give each other consideration as to what might be appropriate; in my experience, it's the opposite.hero22 wrote:The guy liked the girl and came up with an idea of letting her know, maybe it was a bit naff maybe it wasn't but I'm interested as to how you would suggest he let her know. We are going to end up were people are terrified to interact with each other because of the fear of being classified a pervert/weirdo/stalker.
Its a rather cynical way to look at things. just because he took a chance at letting a girl know he likes her doesn't convert to someone suddenly bolting the doors and feeling that their about to be attacked. I grant it may make things a little awkward if the feelings weren't reciprocated but in what setting is it ok to let a woman know u like her then ? I met my partner in the royal mail when we were both xmas casuals , should I not have spoken to her in the work place as she may have felt threatened?
-
Ampersand
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 05 Feb 2019, 15:59
- Gender: Female
So I like a girl...
It's not cynical - it's a reaction to the level of harassment that a lot of women routinely experience.
It's appropriate to ask someone out in a setting where they feel safe to reject you. Asking someone you know out in a relatively neutral setting, such as a workplace, is fine so long as you don't push it if they say no. That's very different to asking a stranger (acquaintance, at a push) out in their own home.
And, ok, so maybe you think some women are being hypersensitive to this. But it might be in your own self interest to consider that incidences very similar to this have been reported to employers and posted about extensively on social media.
It's appropriate to ask someone out in a setting where they feel safe to reject you. Asking someone you know out in a relatively neutral setting, such as a workplace, is fine so long as you don't push it if they say no. That's very different to asking a stranger (acquaintance, at a push) out in their own home.
And, ok, so maybe you think some women are being hypersensitive to this. But it might be in your own self interest to consider that incidences very similar to this have been reported to employers and posted about extensively on social media.
-
hero22
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
It’s not in my self interest to take any notice of this situation as I had nothing to do with it. To any woman or man who has been harassed they have my complete sympathy but I just feel what this guy did was harmless and unfair to paint him with the weirdo brush.
-
barcajr
- Posts: 168
- Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 01:04
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
You sound like a stalker
-
hero22
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
So I like a girl...
I also find it strange that people feel the need to post their experience online through social media. Surely it would be better reporting to the correct authorities rather than splashing it all over Twitter/Facebook etc.