ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Language on this Forum

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jenny Manchester
Posts: 138
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 17:12
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by Jenny Manchester »

stokes11eg wrote:
muckyboots wrote:
stokes11eg wrote::crazy: Well. glad you've got a good walk.


actually i'm a floating reserve. so I do all walks in the office, no exception, good or bad. some weeks I am booking hours, some weeks nothing. and there's no need to be sarky. nobody's infallible.
stokes11eg wrote:The point I was trying to make is that in this job, you often have unforseen
difficulties crop up on your walk, that eats in to your time,and could cause you to go over. Now, I personally do not mind working a few minutes over my time if I have to, but there are many people who, because of family commitments cannot.


ok. why don't these people cut off? why does this mean a car must be used? (because this is what this is really about) why, if a duty holder consistently goes over, nothing is done about it? I don't understand the attitude that if a walk cannot be done in the time allowed (and yes I take your point about finishing on time for new starters being nigh on impossible) then don't take your breaks and use your private car to get the job done in time. this is MADNESS!! if something is not working it should be addressed and resolved. this is what the union is for!
stokes11eg wrote:R/M Have followed T.N.T into the employment of part time housewives scenario--I remember this being discussed at work some time back. These folks have to be back in time for the kids.But sadly, we all know that for new starts at least,finishing on time is nearly impossible. Let's be honest, if someone tells you you work from 7-2 that's what you arrange everything around.

if Management made it clear from the start the variable nature of the job, at least people would know.
fair point.
:sad: I wasn't being sarky, just stating that you are lucky to have a good walk! now to answer some of your questions. 'These people' as you call them, cannot always cut off, and be finished bang on time every day, for a variety of reasons, ranging from fear of losing a job you've first started, to fear of DOM's reactions if they do cut off.Now to the thorny issue of cars being used--I do not know how long you've been in the job (I'm 16 years now, and do not use my car by the way) year after year, there is vitriol directed towards car users that is way beyond what is acceptable.When,after the revision comes in, and all cars are banned from being used, let me tell you, you will not see this Utopia that has everone having do-able walks---finishing on time etc(how long have unions been banging on about this, and it has NEVER been achieved--even when there has been a total ban on the use of cars--when at one time everyone was made to take their breaks, in relays) did it work? No.Because in this job, unlike others it CAN'T---I can tell you what happens when these measures are introduced---longer waiting times for everone getting out. because of lack of transport (forget the CDV's at present)complete frustration all round! again, I have been in this job a long time, and seen it all. If the Unions and royal Mail between then have still not managed to get the 'job' right after all this time, they never will. Maybe, just maybe. in three years time, when they have ironed out all of the problems associated with this two in a van job share, ( no parking places in most offices for the things in the first place--)it might 'come all right' but I doubt it. And, I am being a little 'sarky' now--have a little compassion for your fellow workmates --you may not agree with them using their car-but no need to call them 'these people'
The Union has been asking posties stop using their cars for years they also asked people to stop coming in early and take their breaks. Now the agreement has come in, The Union has made the car issue compulsary. why have they not done the same with coming in Early and not take your breaks... Bunch of Walley's that's why! I hate saying this but i hope someone comes in early one day and has a accident where as they should not have been in the office till a hour later.....
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by stokes11eg »

:shock: Last word from me on this subject! It was the UNION yes the Union, who made the Agreement with R/M that allows people to use their cars.--your workmates did not just decide of their own backs to do this.Again, I will stress that cars have been banned before, and when things did not work out , the UNION yes the UNION, agreed with R/M that cars should be used again! So perhaps all those who so strongly object to the use of cars, should ask the Union why they agreed to the use of them in the first place. if it have never been agreed initially, there would be no problem! As for not taking breaks--again, the union advice on this swings with the tide. At the time S.D.D was introduced one of the carrots dangled was that we could rush round and finish early, and take our breaks or not depending on how quickly we wanted to finish!
Last edited by stokes11eg on 06 Jun 2010, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by stokes11eg »

:shock: P'S. One final 'last word'-- I remember quite clearly the last time cars were banned in our office, when it didn't work after 2 years, the union rep was the first in the office agreeing to cars being used again, but when he came back on the shop floor, he put on his other face, and started badmouthing those using their cars!
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by fishtank »

You are absolutely right stokesy...to say that the union has negotiated the ban on private cars on delivery is a leap of faith.
From what i can gather Royal Mail were running into real legal problems with their so-called "insurance bond" which according to the police is not worth the paper it is printed on.
This coupled with the almost impossible task of ensuring that all the paper work was up to date and that people were complying with the rules has made the whole thing unworkable.
Royal Mail will be just as happy as the union to see the back of PCOD.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by stokes11eg »

:Very Happy Thankyou for that. As I say I do not use my car and agree in principle they should not be used. But i just feel instead of some folks bad mouthing those that do, they should instead look to who was responsible for it happening anyway!
Still, when this new system comes in, it will be academic anyway!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by krussel »

stokes11eg wrote::Very Happy Thankyou for that. As I say I do not use my car and agree in principle they should not be used. But i just feel instead of some folks bad mouthing those that do, they should instead look to who was responsible for it happening anyway!
Still, when this new system comes in, it will be academic anyway!

Yep totally agree I have seen cars being stopped in my office before only to see things slip again when we have a few light days and there is a chance to make some time. :shock:

Out of the feelings of total despair I felt when this agreement was voted in the only small light of hope was the abolishment of private cars.

However we had a memo put on our frames last week instructing us how we are supposed to conduct ourselves with our D2D this week. By taking one 6th a day etc and prepping them after we have placed the mail in the frame and thus treating them as the normal workload. :Applause But already our rep has told us to ignore that and continue with D2D deliveries as normal until we have a revision in place, and how long will that take ?

So when I get in a 6am tomorrow morning I will see loads of people already been in since 5.30am sitting there collating thier leaflets and throwing off their mech. :arrrghhh

Ps. Back to thread. Swearing on here :hmmmm , i hardly notice it to be honest
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
muckyboots
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Sep 2009, 19:53
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by muckyboots »

stokes11eg wrote::shock: P'S. One final 'last word'-- I remember quite clearly the last time cars were banned in our office, when it didn't work after 2 years, the union rep was the first in the office agreeing to cars being used again, but when he came back on the shop floor, he put on his other face, and started badmouthing those using their cars!
:hmmmm sometimes I wonder why I have such faith in a union that seems just as misguided as the management. but thanks for your information. as I said I am young and idealistic, and since the ballot result, very angry as well - I think of those who have been in the job for a long time as apathetic and disillusioned in their attitude. I hate to think they are right.

I am still learning the politics behind this job so if I say something stupid or get something wrong please correct or inform me without too much scorn.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by stokes11eg »

Told you I waqn't
muckyboots wrote:
stokes11eg wrote::shock: P'S. One final 'last word'-- I remember quite clearly the last time cars were banned in our office, when it didn't work after 2 years, the union rep was the first in the office agreeing to cars being used again, but when he came back on the shop floor, he put on his other face, and started badmouthing those using their cars!
:hmmmm sometimes I wonder why I have such faith in a union that seems just as misguided as the management. but thanks for your information. as I said I am young and idealistic, and since the ballot result, very angry as well - I think of those who have been in the job for a long time as apathetic and disillusioned in their attitude. I hate to think they are right.

I am still learning the politics behind this job so if I say something stupid or get something wrong please correct or inform me without too much scorn.
: :sad: Hi, mucky--I wasn't scorning you--and most of us oldies are not apathetic, just completely dissolusioned with THIS union,who time and again have sold us down the river.