ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financial year

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financialyear

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 22:11
eastie wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 18:10
What do you do with the PDAs if the DO is locked up when you arrive back and what do you do with the vans?
take the battery out and leave in the van
For me its PDA logged out, battery left in. PDA then left in the rear of the van with 739 items. Van locked, van keys get posted in the post box outside the DO and I then send a text message to the manager. - Not had a problem with this so far, although one 739 did "temporarily go missing" a few weeks ago. But then found the following day. I was asked why I had not booked it back in? - err.... because it was Saturday and I wasnt back till gone 4 and I left in the van as agreed!
[/quote]

Bit risky that, what happens if one of the 739s ends up being one with an RFID tag in it?
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financialyear

Post by 2yearpostie »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2022, 16:45
Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 22:11
eastie wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 18:10
What do you do with the PDAs if the DO is locked up when you arrive back and what do you do with the vans?
take the battery out and leave in the van
For me its PDA logged out, battery left in. PDA then left in the rear of the van with 739 items. Van locked, van keys get posted in the post box outside the DO and I then send a text message to the manager. - Not had a problem with this so far, although one 739 did "temporarily go missing" a few weeks ago. But then found the following day. I was asked why I had not booked it back in? - err.... because it was Saturday and I wasnt back till gone 4 and I left in the van as agreed!
Bit risky that, what happens if one of the 739s ends up being one with an RFID tag in it?
[/quote]

If the office is locked not a lot of other options left, and he has a text message from the manager as proof.
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financialyear

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2022, 16:45
Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 22:11
eastie wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 18:10
What do you do with the PDAs if the DO is locked up when you arrive back and what do you do with the vans?
take the battery out and leave in the van
For me its PDA logged out, battery left in. PDA then left in the rear of the van with 739 items. Van locked, van keys get posted in the post box outside the DO and I then send a text message to the manager. - Not had a problem with this so far, although one 739 did "temporarily go missing" a few weeks ago. But then found the following day. I was asked why I had not booked it back in? - err.... because it was Saturday and I wasnt back till gone 4 and I left in the van as agreed!
Bit risky that, what happens if one of the 739s ends up being one with an RFID tag in it?
[/quote]
What else is he supposed to do if the office locked up? :d'oh!
Norfolk 'N' Chance
Posts: 231
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 18:15
Gender: Male
Location: In the Stix

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financialyear

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2022, 16:45
Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 22:11
eastie wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 18:10
What do you do with the PDAs if the DO is locked up when you arrive back and what do you do with the vans?
take the battery out and leave in the van
For me its PDA logged out, battery left in. PDA then left in the rear of the van with 739 items. Van locked, van keys get posted in the post box outside the DO and I then send a text message to the manager. - Not had a problem with this so far, although one 739 did "temporarily go missing" a few weeks ago. But then found the following day. I was asked why I had not booked it back in? - err.... because it was Saturday and I wasnt back till gone 4 and I left in the van as agreed!
Bit risky that, what happens if one of the 739s ends up being one with an RFID tag in it?
[/quote]

Whilst I know what RFID tags are as we used to use them for power tool and small asset management in utilites, what would one be doing in a customers domestic parcel? - When im back at 9/10pm at night i only have a gate key to the yard. (Im lucky, the other agency guys dont even have a key and have to park outside the DO when their late!) - Rightly or wrongly, what I describe above is the process that was agreed with the DOM on my first day.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financialyear

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2022, 06:44
SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2022, 16:45
Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 22:11
eastie wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 18:10
What do you do with the PDAs if the DO is locked up when you arrive back and what do you do with the vans?
take the battery out and leave in the van
For me its PDA logged out, battery left in. PDA then left in the rear of the van with 739 items. Van locked, van keys get posted in the post box outside the DO and I then send a text message to the manager. - Not had a problem with this so far, although one 739 did "temporarily go missing" a few weeks ago. But then found the following day. I was asked why I had not booked it back in? - err.... because it was Saturday and I wasnt back till gone 4 and I left in the van as agreed!
Bit risky that, what happens if one of the 739s ends up being one with an RFID tag in it?
Whilst I know what RFID tags are as we used to use them for power tool and small asset management in utilites, what would one be doing in a customers domestic parcel? - When im back at 9/10pm at night i only have a gate key to the yard. (Im lucky, the other agency guys dont even have a key and have to park outside the DO when their late!) - Rightly or wrongly, what I describe above is the process that was agreed with the DOM on my first day.
Next time you're in the DO, look above the external door where the work gets brought in and out, you'll see the scanner that picks up the RFID tags. The tags get used for "mystery shopper" type checks on service levels and probably get used if stuff goes missing a lot, with test items including RFID tags.

btw, WTF are you doing getting back to the DO at 22:00, when it's that late chances are no one is going to answer their door
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financial year

Post by Dorset Plodder »

worktotime wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 17:55
to be honest i cant see a problem with bringing this in and hopefully it will kick them in the arse in the end and stop all the free work and posties taking short cuts trying to get a flyer and it would support what the cwu have always said for years DO THE JOB PROPERLY . , and like it says its not being based on your wages ( for now anyway ) so what can they do ?
Totally agree with your statement. :thumbup Personally I can't see the problem, most other companies have been clocking in and out for literally decades. I think a lot of people tend to overthink a lot of these changes and the technology has been in use for years.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of our colleagues are worried that clockingIn/Out will show up how much time they're carving off their duties, and that's what they're worried about. :hmmmm

If this system resets the mindset of Posties to stop coming in early, and carving up duties to finish early, and perhaps to even take a Meal Break occasionally :shock: then perhaps it will be a good thing? IF my DOM starts to become an even Bigger Control Freak over timings then I'll deal with that problem then.TBH I get more more pissed off by watching the "Usual Suspects" consistently making 90 mins a day (but that's OK because they're not claiming OT) than I do about arguing about 20 mins Pressure OT with the DOM! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financial year

Post by 2yearpostie »

The only things im bothered about is ;

1. If it lets you do morning overtime before your duty starts.

2. That somebody actually tells everyone in our office what our official start/finish times are as no one knows.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financial year

Post by Dorset Plodder »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2022, 11:00
The only things im bothered about is ;

1. If it lets you do morning overtime before your duty starts.


I'm sure the technology will allow it ... think of the options on an Idiot-Phone. Why wouldn't the system allow it? :hmmmm

2. That somebody actually tells everyone in our office what our official start/finish times are as no one knows.
I'm not sure if it's a Business Wide thing (I should think so) but we have the start/finish times printed at the begining of the signing in sheets. We work Long/Shorts so the times vary slighty between different days. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financial year

Post by Cedar_Room »

I dare say this will definitely divide the workforce. The runners,break dodgers & corner cutters will be dead against it. The rest probably don’t care,I know I don’t. Although we do have a handful of people who are late almost every single day,they had probably better invest in a new alarm clock..
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
Norfolk 'N' Chance
Posts: 231
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 18:15
Gender: Male
Location: In the Stix

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financialyear

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2022, 08:30
Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2022, 06:44
SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2022, 16:45
Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 22:11
eastie wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 18:10
What do you do with the PDAs if the DO is locked up when you arrive back and what do you do with the vans?
take the battery out and leave in the van
For me its PDA logged out, battery left in. PDA then left in the rear of the van with 739 items. Van locked, van keys get posted in the post box outside the DO and I then send a text message to the manager. - Not had a problem with this so far, although one 739 did "temporarily go missing" a few weeks ago. But then found the following day. I was asked why I had not booked it back in? - err.... because it was Saturday and I wasnt back till gone 4 and I left in the van as agreed!
Bit risky that, what happens if one of the 739s ends up being one with an RFID tag in it?
Whilst I know what RFID tags are as we used to use them for power tool and small asset management in utilites, what would one be doing in a customers domestic parcel? - When im back at 9/10pm at night i only have a gate key to the yard. (Im lucky, the other agency guys dont even have a key and have to park outside the DO when their late!) - Rightly or wrongly, what I describe above is the process that was agreed with the DOM on my first day.
Next time you're in the DO, look above the external door where the work gets brought in and out, you'll see the scanner that picks up the RFID tags. The tags get used for "mystery shopper" type checks on service levels and probably get used if stuff goes missing a lot, with test items including RFID tags.

btw, WTF are you doing getting back to the DO at 22:00, when it's that late chances are no one is going to answer their door
Heavy LAT days! Many times I get the notification come up on RON that the delivery span will go past 7pm, but I just ignore it and carry on till I either finish or feel tired and have to give up. What I do find is that I on late days most people are home from work so they get delivered. Only had one or two comments about how late it is.
TOWER1
Posts: 95
Joined: 24 Sep 2019, 16:05
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financial year

Post by TOWER1 »

Hi
May I ask what a RFID is please?
Thanks.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financial year

Post by Acca Dacca »

TOWER1 wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2022, 23:02
Hi
May I ask what a RFID is please?
Thanks.
scanner that is above the doors - small chips are put inside letters and parcels sent by mystery customers to test quality as when they will be picked up by the scanners above the doors of the delivery offices when they enter and exit the building
Last edited by Acca Dacca on 21 Feb 2022, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financial year

Post by SpacePhoenix »

TOWER1 wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2022, 23:02
Hi
May I ask what a RFID is please?
Thanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-fre ... ion#Design
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financialyear

Post by rambo1 »

PostmanPat007 wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 04:08
I hope it is not an open system, and gets hacked. But I have been told off already as I came in 7 mins late, and I left 5 minutes early, then the manager said 5+7= 12 minutes lost. I set my phone to ring at 2 minutes after I start so I have a minute to start. :cry

Many workers we finish early just stand next to the card scanner for a few minutes.
What if you're there a min to spare, but theres a queue for clocking in? Everyone can't clock in on time at the same time, so it's clock in early to make sure you don't clock in late? How many clocking in machines are there for an office of 120?
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: RMCtv : Signing in signing out : Due in DO's in the new financialyear

Post by Cedar_Room »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
21 Feb 2022, 15:11
PostmanPat007 wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 04:08
I hope it is not an open system, and gets hacked. But I have been told off already as I came in 7 mins late, and I left 5 minutes early, then the manager said 5+7= 12 minutes lost. I set my phone to ring at 2 minutes after I start so I have a minute to start. :cry

Many workers we finish early just stand next to the card scanner for a few minutes.
What if you're there a min to spare, but theres a queue for clocking in? Everyone can't clock in on time at the same time, so it's clock in early to make sure you don't clock in late? How many clocking in machines are there for an office of 120?
In another life I worked as an FLT driver in a factory with over 500 employees on the shop floor. We were on the clock & I don’t recall any issues,though if you were running a touch late you got a 3-minute ‘grace’ period were you didn’t lose any pay. After that you were docked,rounded up to the nearest 15-minute mark,depending on when you turned up….

At the end of the day it is the employees responsibility to get to work on time,I guess…
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”