ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to get faster

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by SpacePhoenix »

NewPostieUK wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote: You then arrange for the driver to drop them to you at a designated place at a designated time
.
Don't know about your office, but dropping off bags went out when most offices had the revision. In fact all drop boxes seem to have been removed.
The drop box nearest to where i live was abandoned and rusted away
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Xr4 »

At least 3 of our hcts have drop boxes, the main town office still have a couple of rounds with drop off at businesses such as guest Houses. I've been to a smallish town office and they're still using the boxes on poles for the old bike rounds, I could of done the round with just a bag instead of the hct!
Wakewaterblue
Posts: 56
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 07:11
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by Wakewaterblue »

I asked my other manager today, (I seem to have about 6 of them and they keep changing which confuses me) that when I can't get my route into my HCT as it get's busier, what do I do and he said they would drop another HCT out to me on my round. So that answers that!
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by joewyan »

postmanzach wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
postmanzach wrote: And not using a trolley helps a lot.
No it doesn't.
This is singularly the worst piece of advice I have ever seen on this forum.
The trolleys were introduced for a reason. A bloody good reason - to take the weight off the postman/woman.
Off the back, the shoulder. the hips. the knees and the feet.

The reason most posties end up with foot problems is not simply because they walk a lot, it is because that weight they are carrying is ultimately supported by the arch of your foot and little by little it puts an excessive strain on the foot and you get problems. Heel spurs/plantar/fallen arches etc etc.
Not using a trolley is a recipe for (more) long term health problems.
FairPlay each to their own. I personally have had no back or feet troubles in 12 years as a postie. I carry bags every day. I found the trolleys extremely heavy to push up hills. I believe the problems with backs in down to lack of core strength, little bit of training outside of work and the physical side of the job is easy.
The OP is talking about a HCT job. How can you do that without a trolley? Yes I know you can chain up and take small bags etc but you can’t do the whole job without!
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by Interested-seeker »

Don't let your colleague walk all over you. Complain to the manager about this issue. You have to learn to stand up for yourself unfortunately.
Wakewaterblue
Posts: 56
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 07:11
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by Wakewaterblue »

I’ve just seen a postie with his PDA clipped onto a carabina on his short belt loop. Great idea. I for one am fed up with it hanging off my fingers getting in the way and banging on people’s doors causing them to answer!
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by greengiant »

Wakewaterblue wrote:I’ve just seen a postie with his PDA clipped onto a carabina on his short belt loop. Great idea. I for one am fed up with it hanging off my fingers getting in the way and banging on people’s doors causing them to answer!
Ask your line manager for a pda holster?
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by crimson king »

Wakewaterblue wrote:I’ve just seen a postie with his PDA clipped onto a carabina on his short belt loop. Great idea. I for one am fed up with it hanging off my fingers getting in the way and banging on people’s doors causing them to answer!
Surely, depending on which loop you use, this would cause the PDA to either bounce off your privates or get caught every time you get in and out of the van.

And I'll admit, I had to look up carabina. I thought it was a buffalo type animal and was a bit perplexed...
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by Interested-seeker »

Wakewaterblue wrote:I’ve just seen a postie with his PDA clipped onto a carabina on his short belt loop. Great idea. I for one am fed up with it hanging off my fingers getting in the way and banging on people’s doors causing them to answer!
I use a holster that I clip onto my belt. It is provided by RM but don't think you can order the belt one online (only the shoulder one), but ask your manager. I would struggle loads if I didn't have my holster, yes it can be uncomfortable, but it is better than not having enough hands free.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by SpacePhoenix »

greengiant wrote:
Wakewaterblue wrote:I’ve just seen a postie with his PDA clipped onto a carabina on his short belt loop. Great idea. I for one am fed up with it hanging off my fingers getting in the way and banging on people’s doors causing them to answer!
Ask your line manager for a pda holster?
Would our line manager need to order them holsters from the same place that they order/get replacement PDAs from?
Blinkboy44
Posts: 48
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:49
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Blinkboy44 »

I’ve found I’ve got much quicker doing these things :

Arrange packets in order in bag so find them quicker, also label T for tracked SD for speacial and S for small when marking letters for parcels (don’t turn for them wastes time turning letter around lol)

Label all your bags and put them in order in the runner before loading

For parcels knock loudly and start writing card straight away (date and time first so not wasting cards if they answer)

Make small bundles! And ‘turn for’ or ‘mark up’ any even slightly thick packets even if there small, as a bundle with packets falling out and a bundle that sways around makes it hard to carry.

Obvious one here, but wear your bag so it’s facing you, and not outwards so you can see better when rummaging for small parcels. Obvious I know. Took me 6 months to realise this ...

folk recieving parcels, for future reference ask permission to leave in safe places and ask where safe to leave

DONT SCAN CHINESE UNTRACKED, as 50% of the time if you don’t notice the ‘untracked’ and you scan it will want a signature!! :arrrghhh

Doorstep parcels if people stick there heads out of top floor windows and say 2 mins when they mean 10!

If grass looks uncared for, it probably is, so cut across it

If it’s terrace housing, lean over and do the neighbouring house if you can reach

Door to doors for addresses with no mail write house number and save for another day

Always walk fast, ALWAYS. if you get blisters wear thick socks or double up.

swing gates closed walking out (not your problem if latches don’t work or not lined up)

and don’t mess about at the van when grabbing your next bag!

JUST REMEMBER - do not kill yourself doing this job. They are called walks for a reason. This is simply if you NEED or WANT to be quicker for any reason. Not saying these work for everyone, but they do for me.
Last edited by Blinkboy44 on 06 Dec 2018, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

How to get faster

Post by NewPostieUK »

Telling people to Doorstep, Not to scan packets, walk across grass and don't shut gates properly.

Great idea.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by Brandy »

NewPostieUK wrote:Telling people to Doorstep, Not to scan packets, walk across grass and don't shut gates properly.

Great idea.
Dont forget to run! :crazy:
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Celgar »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
greengiant wrote:
Wakewaterblue wrote:I’ve just seen a postie with his PDA clipped onto a carabina on his short belt loop. Great idea. I for one am fed up with it hanging off my fingers getting in the way and banging on people’s doors causing them to answer!
Ask your line manager for a pda holster?
Would our line manager need to order them holsters from the same place that they order/get replacement PDAs from?
The two holster types can both be ordered up if you ask your DOM. I haven't tested out the one that fixes to your belt/trousers yet but until recently I have been recommending the shoulder holster. I am no longer recommending the shoulder holster type though. I hadn't been using it that long before it aggravated an existing weakness on my back which erupted into a double cyst and big infected area. Had to get knocked out at hospital to have it cut out and now have a cavity in my back. Off sick now when I would rather be at work. So keep an eye out if the shoulder holster is rubbing your skin.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
greengiant wrote:
Wakewaterblue wrote:I’ve just seen a postie with his PDA clipped onto a carabina on his short belt loop. Great idea. I for one am fed up with it hanging off my fingers getting in the way and banging on people’s doors causing them to answer!
Ask your line manager for a pda holster?
Would our line manager need to order them holsters from the same place that they order/get replacement PDAs from?
The two holster types can both be ordered up if you ask your DOM. I haven't tested out the one that fixes to your belt/trousers yet but until recently I have been recommending the shoulder holster. I am no longer recommending the shoulder holster type though. I hadn't been using it that long before it aggravated an existing weakness on my back which erupted into a double cyst and big infected area. Had to get knocked out at hospital to have it cut out and now have a cavity in my back. Off sick now when I would rather be at work. So keep an eye out if the shoulder holster is rubbing your skin.
Any chance of asking your DOM which office/phone number our managers would need to contact to order some? I suspect that it might be the same one that we order finger scanners from (which we need more of anyway as we've a few broken ones).