ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wookie
Posts: 319
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by wookie »

peshwaarinaan wrote:Couldn't agree with you more on this. My frame is ready to tie up at 08.00 but I'm not allowed to start until 09.00 so I'm out in the heat for an hour longer than I need to be. If I choose to come in early and go over they won't pay me.
Wow, we're still on the sorting till 8.15. (varies inbetween 7.45-8.30)
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

People need to grow up and live in the real world.

If there was a fire in your home at midday would you except the fire birgade not turning up because it is to hot.
Do builders work in all weather
Do Dustmen work in all weathers

I can go on and on.

The weather is just an excuss for lazy OPG's not to work
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by peshwaarinaan »

robbertwhitton wrote:
bobsworth wrote:Recently did 6 hours out in this heat. As a new starter I asked the uniform hotline for a baseball cap but was informed I'd have to wait 6 weeks for that particular item. I also asked for the lighter blue shirts but as someone had already ordered me 5 red polo shirts I'll have to wait until 2020. They did however send me a fleece which was jolly decent of them :Applause :arrrghhh
Welcome to the Mickey Mouse world of Royal Mail,if your colleagues can’t source you a hat I’m sure I have a spare,though mine makes my head sweat! And as for the floppy thing they call a hat,ive yet to see anyone wear it
I wear the floppy hat. Look bloody stupid in it but it gives more protection that the baseball cap! :Very Happy
pex
Posts: 59
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 19:02
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by pex »

Why all the pleas for action from someone else to help with the heat. Everyone on delivery is old enough to be aware what is needed to keep safe and hydrated.
Its a blip in the UK weather to have more than a fortnight of intense heat so you cannot be serious if you expect others to plan for it. The job has about 8 months of ideal weather when being outside is pretty good
and there are thousands of other jobs that have to endure the heat as well so just get on with what you signed up.
pex
Posts: 59
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 19:02
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by pex »

One upside with this intense heat is, I must be sweating all my body fluids out as I don't need to pee like I do when the weather is colder. Think positive!
But on the other side of the coin I am going to have to bring my uniform on my annual holiday as I my tan lines are going to look very weird when I am at the pool in my swimming trunks.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by miles_peters »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:People need to grow up and live in the real world.

If there was a fire in your home at midday would you except the fire birgade not turning up because it is to hot.
Do builders work in all weather
Do Dustmen work in all weathers

I can go on and on.

The weather is just an excuss for lazy OPG's not to work
lazy really? great comparison as well by the way...
Slugpaul
Posts: 7
Joined: 23 Sep 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by Slugpaul »

Wouldn't hurt to have an extra defined break. I've just done 3 six day weeks each about 5 hours out in the sun. I'm exhausted and I don't think it will be long until somebody somewhere gets seriously ill, just to deliver a potatoe masher from China and a fast food leaflet...
hero22
Posts: 596
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by hero22 »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:People need to grow up and live in the real world.

If there was a fire in your home at midday would you except the fire birgade not turning up because it is to hot.
Do builders work in all weather
Do Dustmen work in all weathers

I can go on and on.

The weather is just an excuss for lazy OPG's not to work

So raising concerns or asking a question about working in extreme heat makes you lazy ?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by LaggyBand »

Just work slower, drink more water, and if that means going back to office to take a leak then do it. And if that means cutting off, then do it.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Don't worry his credibility is low at least for me:

Firemen - they have shifts in place on the fire ground and plan replenishment breaks based on the actual and forecast weather.
Builders - usually have cold water on tap provided by the company that hires them. Again they also have shelter and take more breaks during the hot weather.
Dustmen (they prefer refuse collectors I think) - here is a surprise, they plan the work around the weather, also provide cold drinks on demand, take more trips back to the depot and bring in more workers from other departments to assist them.

In other words, all reasonable businesses and bosses plan for severe hot weather, even Royal Mail. Its just Royal Mail can't get it right at the local level and at a national level as long as boxes are ticked who cares.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

This is inhumane!

Post by BELIAL »

aiden01 wrote:
sindba wrote:The slog in this HEAT, day after day. I know weather is part of the job but it's getting dangerous.

Is it time for the Union to try and do something temporary while the heatwave lasts?

Temporary reduction in workload? (Lapsing!)
Temporary increase in break allowance to seek shade?
Free sports drinks or rehydration sachets?
Extra rest days somehow?

Royal Mail will do sweet f.a. as they frankly don't care if we drop dead as long as they make money.

But the CWU could surely put some pressure on this sh**house company?
What would you like cwu to do.
Act sort of like a union? safeguard it's members ,protect them from injury. Just a thought since the employer seems to have mixed up profit with welfare.
Bye
luddite
Posts: 451
Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by luddite »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:People need to grow up and live in the real world.

If there was a fire in your home at midday would you except the fire birgade not turning up because it is to hot.
Do builders work in all weather
Do Dustmen work in all weathers

I can go on and on.

The weather is just an excuss for lazy OPG's not to work
Lazy? Ok?
I've not seen any builders or ' dustmen' spewing into a drain on the High street this week, I suppose being lazy would give you heat stroke? One of our managers got sunburnt on the golf course, went home early from the office to work from home. They couldn't get staff to work during annual leave to cover the lazy spewers! I wonder why?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by Postie45 »

Flashman_ wrote:The HSE has quite a bit to say about this,....
In these conditions of prolonged fully sunny days, especially at this time of year, the most serious risk is over exposure to the sun at the strongest part of the day. The HSE guidlines makes it clear that the employer should reduce workers exposure to the hottest part of the day by altering shift patterns if possible amongst other things.
yes, this is key, RM are actually prolonging our exposure to the hotter weather rather than reducing it. A better use of hours would be to have more indoor work done, instead of outside lapsing have workers fully throw off walks for part timers (like actually fully thrown off, including redirections) so they can actually come in, pick up the delivery and go out. Take a couple of people off sorting to do this, sure sorting will take a bit longer but then you dont do outside lapsing in the heat.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by Jpro747 »

I wonder how posties in hotter parts of the world cope. Some parts of the USA regularly have days where temperatures exceed 40*c, maybe we can learn a thing or two from them?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by Postie45 »

yes and those parts of the USA have adequate infrastructure to deal with the regular heat such as great AC in units and in vehicles, also USA as you may or not know dont tend to have walking postmen due to how the buildings are layed out much further apart and you need a van to get from point to point and drop off mail, not the same as the way we pound the streets for 4-5 hours.
i dont necessarily expect RM to invest heavily in something thats needed for maybe 2-3 weeks per year, but they should be able to manage it better.