ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Rounds not possible?
-
slinder123
- Posts: 261
- Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 14:44
- Gender: Female
Rounds not possible?
his rep has 300 calls lol 
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
So you are working 1hr20 for free every day. They really are taking the rise with you mate. Come in on time for god's sake!!! You say you like the overtime but are willing to give royal mail£60 every week out your own pocket (yes, that's what you're doing). Don't feel pressured, if as you say you are working to standard, you've got no worries. Use a trolley too or you're in for serious problems in later life if you carry on carrying bags.Jamiechelt wrote:1200 total doors for our walk.. 600 each. Trolleys will not fit in the van!!! They pay from 7.50 only, but if I went in that late I wouldn't get out til 11.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
So much for the change in culture.
Dingo if you are following this thread. Why was this matter not dealt with once and for all in an unambiguous joint statement within or attaching to the National Agreement?The National Executive have left themselves wide open to a negative result purely because this is a nationwide scandal that has gone on year in year out and appears to be getting worse.
Dingo if you are following this thread. Why was this matter not dealt with once and for all in an unambiguous joint statement within or attaching to the National Agreement?The National Executive have left themselves wide open to a negative result purely because this is a nationwide scandal that has gone on year in year out and appears to be getting worse.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
Lincox wrote:So much for the change in culture.
Dingo if you are following this thread. Why was this matter not dealt with once and for all in an unambiguous joint statement within or attaching to the National Agreement?The National Executive have left themselves wide open to a negative result purely because this is a nationwide scandal that has gone on year in year out and appears to be getting worse.
It’s the managers job to try and get the most work out of people for the least pay. They will challenge you, try and get you to go quicker, do more work etc. They are managers thats their role. It’s then down to the member of staff to grow a pair and tell the manager what they are and aren’t going to do. If people work for free then no manager will stop them and they have themselves to blame. Too many people cry bullying and harassment when in fact the manager is just doing their job. This is the reason genuine cases aren’t taken seriously. Every member of staff knows:
They don’t work for free
They can only do what they can do
They don’t have to work past their time
They don’t have to do overtime
If they can’t do any extra (flexing, lapsing etc) then they don’t do it
Managers know this to so if you tell them they know there is nothing they can do.
Grow up people we’re all adults!!
-
postmail3
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 19:33
- Gender: Female
Rounds not possible?
I have 620 doors-ish I get it done in 5 hours but I'm doing 2/3 hours overtime as I'm a newbie. I get the cutting off status but what does it imply to others? Would it mean I have more to do the day after? I'm contract 930-230 but currently doing 9-4 but need to pick my daughter up from school at 3 as my MIL won't do it for much longer what time do I cut off? My round is about 10 mins walk from my DO... I'm worried my manager will flip his s**t too.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Rounds not possible?
Your contracted finish time is 2.30pm. If you cut off and have to roll it over to the next day it doesn't matter because the next day your contracted finish time is 2.30pm. You do not have to work past your finish time. You have family commitments which means you cannot work past your finish time and you should explain it to your manager. If your manager wants to throw his/her rattle out of the pram that's up to them, because yes you've guessed it... your finish time is 2.30pm!postmail3 wrote:I have 620 doors-ish I get it done in 5 hours but I'm doing 2/3 hours overtime as I'm a newbie. I get the cutting off status but what does it imply to others? Would it mean I have more to do the day after? I'm contract 930-230 but currently doing 9-4 but need to pick my daughter up from school at 3 as my MIL won't do it for much longer what time do I cut off? My round is about 10 mins walk from my DO... I'm worried my manager will flip his s**t too.
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
First of all ask your manager to see the prep-plan and ask what time you should be out the office. Looking at your times you start I would guess you should be walking out of your delivery office yo start delivery as soon as you go in at 9:30. If you are not getting out at this time say to your manager that you are working your hours and what do they want you to do. They will more than likely sulk, say you have to take it out blah blah blah. Say to they ok I have told you am finishing on my time so I will be bringing the mail that I have been unable to deliver back at my finish time. When you get back with all the mail you haven’t had time to deliver make sure you tell whoever is in charge at that time be it a manager (most likely gone home) or a PHG.postmail3 wrote:I have 620 doors-ish I get it done in 5 hours but I'm doing 2/3 hours overtime as I'm a newbie. I get the cutting off status but what does it imply to others? Would it mean I have more to do the day after? I'm contract 930-230 but currently doing 9-4 but need to pick my daughter up from school at 3 as my MIL won't do it for much longer what time do I cut off? My round is about 10 mins walk from my DO... I'm worried my manager will flip his s**t too.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
Ok get your point but as he said he’s running and not taking break, and still going 2 hours over. To me it sounds like a classic case of the round is too big, not the postie is too slow.Judgee wrote:Walking/jogging pace is only one element of the job. You get quicker sorting up on frames, you get quicker looking at mail before you deliver it, quicker at filling out 739 cards, using the PDA, you make less mistakes. Or do you not think so Jpro?Jpro747 wrote:But if he’s jogging and not taking break how can he be slow? You don’t need to go that fast, just walk at a reasonable pace adhering to health and safety. I’d say most posties work way faster than they should even if they think they’re doing the job properly.Judgee wrote:I didn't think I was slow when I started either but trust you probably are. You've only been at it a month, give it six months and you'll be doing things without even thinking, this all speeds you up. In the mean time either stop getting in early and working for free and cut off or accept the fact that you are not willing to help yourself and just get on with it!Jamiechelt wrote:How do you get up to speed though? I don't feel that i'm slow at all, just don't feel the round is doable. Some come in at 5am.Judgee wrote:You are not doing yourself any favours and not doing any favours for anyone else that has to cover the round when you are not there. Start at your start time, take your break, use the trolley and cut off. If they roll it over cut off more. They won't cut down the round but will probably move you to a round more suitable for your pace until you get up a bit more speed.
Whilst you are working for free and completing every day they have no reason to change anything!![]()
-
postmail3
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 19:33
- Gender: Female
Rounds not possible?
number one wrote:First of all ask your manager to see the prep-plan and ask what time you should be out the office. Looking at your times you start I would guess you should be walking out of your delivery office yo start delivery as soon as you go in at 9:30. If you are not getting out at this time say to your manager that you are working your hours and what do they want you to do. They will more than likely sulk, say you have to take it out blah blah blah. Say to they ok I have told you am finishing on my time so I will be bringing the mail that I have been unable to deliver back at my finish time. When you get back with all the mail you haven’t had time to deliver make sure you tell whoever is in charge at that time be it a manager (most likely gone home) or a PHG.postmail3 wrote:I have 620 doors-ish I get it done in 5 hours but I'm doing 2/3 hours overtime as I'm a newbie. I get the cutting off status but what does it imply to others? Would it mean I have more to do the day after? I'm contract 930-230 but currently doing 9-4 but need to pick my daughter up from school at 3 as my MIL won't do it for much longer what time do I cut off? My round is about 10 mins walk from my DO... I'm worried my manager will flip his s**t too.
Thank you, I'm definitely going to be having a conversation with my manager, he's definitely never there when I get back as it's always past 4pm!!! My union rep is really helpful so will probably have a chat with him to. Thanks again for the help.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
A Manager has two roles, one is making sure that the work is completed for that day within the realms of health and safety and the terms of reference in respect of the agreed weekly meetings between the Union Rep and DOM to determine the resourcing required for each day.number one wrote:Lincox wrote:So much for the change in culture.
Dingo if you are following this thread. Why was this matter not dealt with once and for all in an unambiguous joint statement within or attaching to the National Agreement?The National Executive have left themselves wide open to a negative result purely because this is a nationwide scandal that has gone on year in year out and appears to be getting worse.
It’s the managers job to try and get the most work out of people for the least pay. They will challenge you, try and get you to go quicker, do more work etc. They are managers thats their role. It’s then down to the member of staff to grow a pair and tell the manager what they are and aren’t going to do. If people work for free then no manager will stop them and they have themselves to blame. Too many people cry bullying and harassment when in fact the manager is just doing their job. This is the reason genuine cases aren’t taken seriously. Every member of staff knows:
They don’t work for free
They can only do what they can do
They don’t have to work past their time
They don’t have to do overtime
If they can’t do any extra (flexing, lapsing etc) then they don’t do it
Managers know this to so if you tell them they know there is nothing they can do.
Grow up people we’re all adults!!
The second responsibility is the welfare and health and safety of staff both within the office environment and out on the walks.
For you to say that people are crying bullying and harassment when this is happening all over the country is nothing short of blindness to what is going on within this company.
I have experienced the kind of tactics that are used, both personally and to other individuals and it is no less a disgrace than what has been happening in all walks of life with sexual harassment and any other form of harassment that belittles the person on the receiving end.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
So are you saying managers aren’t suppose to question under performing staff? Manage office budgets etc? This is where you are so so wrong.Lincox wrote:A Manager has two roles, one is making sure that the work is completed for that day within the realms of health and safety and the terms of reference in respect of the agreed weekly meetings between the Union Rep and DOM to determine the resourcing required for each day.number one wrote:Lincox wrote:So much for the change in culture.
Dingo if you are following this thread. Why was this matter not dealt with once and for all in an unambiguous joint statement within or attaching to the National Agreement?The National Executive have left themselves wide open to a negative result purely because this is a nationwide scandal that has gone on year in year out and appears to be getting worse.
It’s the managers job to try and get the most work out of people for the least pay. They will challenge you, try and get you to go quicker, do more work etc. They are managers thats their role. It’s then down to the member of staff to grow a pair and tell the manager what they are and aren’t going to do. If people work for free then no manager will stop them and they have themselves to blame. Too many people cry bullying and harassment when in fact the manager is just doing their job. This is the reason genuine cases aren’t taken seriously. Every member of staff knows:
They don’t work for free
They can only do what they can do
They don’t have to work past their time
They don’t have to do overtime
If they can’t do any extra (flexing, lapsing etc) then they don’t do it
Managers know this to so if you tell them they know there is nothing they can do.
Grow up people we’re all adults!!
The second responsibility is the welfare and health and safety of staff both within the office environment and out on the walks.
For you to say that people are crying bullying and harassment when this is happening all over the country is nothing short of blindness to what is going on within this company.
I have experienced the kind of tactics that are used, both personally and to other individuals and it is no less a disgrace than what has been happening in all walks of life with sexual harassment and any other form of harassment that belittles the person on the receiving end.
-
postieaw11
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 15 Jul 2014, 17:44
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
Mine is 1100 and I'm a single duty. 
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
Mad that new starts see it as job / finish rather than work your time.
People need to remember what it’s like though having that worry that you’re not going to be kept on. It’s difficult holding your defence even if you’re totally in the right.
People need to remember what it’s like though having that worry that you’re not going to be kept on. It’s difficult holding your defence even if you’re totally in the right.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
Number One, where have I said that a Manager is not responsible for managing under performing staff or budgets. A manager has many responsibilities entwined within their basic roles. However, they are not entitled to harass and bully staff on a daily basis when those members of staff wish to work their contracted hours. It is down to the fact that they have not carried out weekly resourcing meetings with the union rep and clearly have not responded to the fact that many walks are unachievable in the time given. So what do they do when they are faced with someone using the overrunning procedures? They start using third part inference stating that others can finish in time, they misuse the flexibility rules to try and force someone in to working over. Yet those who are prepared to go over are paid overtime without any question as to why they cannot finish on time. It is a management tactic that derives from a bygone era that has started to rear its ugly head again in British industry and needs stamping out by the CWU before someone is damaged mentally or a Manager is floored through sheer frustration on the part of the employee.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Rounds not possible?
You said a manager has two roles.Lincox wrote:Number One, where have I said that a Manager is not responsible for managing under performing staff or budgets. A manager has many responsibilities entwined within their basic roles. However, they are not entitled to harass and bully staff on a daily basis when those members of staff wish to work their contracted hours. It is down to the fact that they have not carried out weekly resourcing meetings with the union rep and clearly have not responded to the fact that many walks are unachievable in the time given. So what do they do when they are faced with someone using the overrunning procedures? They start using third part inference stating that others can finish in time, they misuse the flexibility rules to try and force someone in to working over. Yet those who are prepared to go over are paid overtime without any question as to why they cannot finish on time. It is a management tactic that derives from a bygone era that has started to rear its ugly head again in British industry and needs stamping out by the CWU before someone is damaged mentally or a Manager is floored through sheer frustration on the part of the employee.