Nice one. Thanks for everyone's advice... It's all as clear as mud still though, lol.Mightyaj wrote:"Complained to the manager. I couldn't get a straight answer though when I asked what should I have done? Lol"
Its seems you've have a bit of bad luck there! My manager would just say be careful with that individual!
Basically don't do it for the same person!
Also I'd like to add that I do not know what your round looks like or how rough the area is and again common sense needs to come in. If your round is in high crime area and lots of people coming past these porches then maybe just maybe I'd think otherwise but that's if your delivering to the bronxs.
Another thing to add is my advice I think is the common sense answer but not necessarily the right answer! If its doesn't feel right to you then don't do it!!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Porch delivery
-
the-hanz
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 27 Feb 2015, 16:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
-
A2B
- Posts: 2033
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
The customer may choose for me to leave a parcel under a bush, do i do that as well?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A2B wrote:If i can put the mail in the box then a thief can take it out, not seen one that is secure
But thats the customers choice, as is not locking their front door. But you opening the door is your choice.
-
the-hanz
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 27 Feb 2015, 16:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
Quite often wondered this too. Customer leaves a note saying put parcel in bin or something and then denies it but also complains when the parcel isn't left where they've asked it to be leftA2B wrote:The customer may choose for me to leave a parcel under a bush, do i do that as well?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A2B wrote:If i can put the mail in the box then a thief can take it out, not seen one that is secure
But thats the customers choice, as is not locking their front door. But you opening the door is your choice.
-
Mightyaj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
lolA2B wrote:The customer may choose for me to leave a parcel under a bush, do i do that as well?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A2B wrote:If i can put the mail in the box then a thief can take it out, not seen one that is secure
But thats the customers choice, as is not locking their front door. But you opening the door is your choice.
That's has tickled me!
Bush it everytime! lol
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
Same rule applies, it is your responsibility to leave items in secure places, the senders are the customers not the delivery point recipients.the-hanz wrote:Quite often wondered this too. Customer leaves a note saying put parcel in bin or something and then denies it but also complains when the parcel isn't left where they've asked it to be leftA2B wrote:The customer may choose for me to leave a parcel under a bush, do i do that as well?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A2B wrote:If i can put the mail in the box then a thief can take it out, not seen one that is secure
But thats the customers choice, as is not locking their front door. But you opening the door is your choice.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
Surely depends on weather forecast and whether the parcel is waterproof wrapped?Mightyaj wrote:lolA2B wrote:The customer may choose for me to leave a parcel under a bush, do i do that as well?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A2B wrote:If i can put the mail in the box then a thief can take it out, not seen one that is secure
But thats the customers choice, as is not locking their front door. But you opening the door is your choice.
That's has tickled me!
Bush it everytime! lol
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
the-hanz wrote:Quite often wondered this too. Customer leaves a note saying put parcel in bin or something and then denies it but also complains when the parcel isn't left where they've asked it to be leftA2B wrote:The customer may choose for me to leave a parcel under a bush, do i do that as well?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A2B wrote:If i can put the mail in the box then a thief can take it out, not seen one that is secure
But thats the customers choice, as is not locking their front door. But you opening the door is your choice.
With respect the customer did not leave those notes, the recipient did.
Remember the sender is the customer and they have paid for the item to be delivered by the spec of the product they have chosen, it is not up to you or me to second guess what the customer actually wants the customer may prefer it is brought back to the delivery office,
If the customer wanted it left in a safe place they had the option of sending it via a method that allows that with specific instructions to do so.
-
Mightyaj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
Customer told me to bush it I'm bushing it! Don't care if Hurricane Katrina is on its way!!jimmynailsalive wrote:Surely depends on weather forecast and whether the parcel is waterproof wrapped?Mightyaj wrote:lolA2B wrote:The customer may choose for me to leave a parcel under a bush, do i do that as well?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A2B wrote:If i can put the mail in the box then a thief can take it out, not seen one that is secure
But thats the customers choice, as is not locking their front door. But you opening the door is your choice.
That's has tickled me!
Bush it everytime! lol
Again common sense needs to be used! If the bush was letting to much rain in then I might find recycle bin to put on top of it and then I'd bush it!! lol
-
A2B
- Posts: 2033
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
Of course it is, i forgot which one was the sarcasm smileyIloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
Same rule applies, it is your responsibility to leave items in secure places, the senders are the customers not the delivery point recipients.
-
jimboaby
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 21:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
Apparently you can't leave a parcel in a customer's safeplace if it's not officially deemed secure by royal mail. So realistically there is no safe place that can be used with the exception of a proper lockable parcel box. No greenhouses, porches, blue bins are secure. If you got in there, so could a thief. Kind of makes the safeplace idea redundant. On a slightly different note. On a few walks in my office, theres a few streets of bungalows with the letterbox on the outer storm doors, which are 99% of the time already wide open and the mail gets left on the floor inside. Officially it would seem no mail is to be delivered to these streets unless someone is at home to receive it. Wonder if the walk get's extra time allowance for ringing every bell on the street to hand overmail

-
the-hanz
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 27 Feb 2015, 16:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
On a lighter note:
Delivered to an elderly lady last week. She is as old as God's dog. She opened the door just as I was about to deliver the mail and took the letters from me. She then said, and I quote:
"I would hate for you to get your fingers trapped in my rusty box"
I just stood there holding back a smirk. She then said
"I couldn't tell you how many postman have had their fingers in my rusty box"
I still stood there holding back a smirk. She then smiled the dirtiest smile, winked at me and walked back in the house
Dirty old cat!
Delivered to an elderly lady last week. She is as old as God's dog. She opened the door just as I was about to deliver the mail and took the letters from me. She then said, and I quote:
"I would hate for you to get your fingers trapped in my rusty box"
I just stood there holding back a smirk. She then said
"I couldn't tell you how many postman have had their fingers in my rusty box"
I still stood there holding back a smirk. She then smiled the dirtiest smile, winked at me and walked back in the house
Dirty old cat!
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
I have someone on my walk who just has a wooden box at the side of their house which has no lock, all the mail and parcels go in this as he has written to the office demanding everything is put here and he has complained when any reserves have put mail through his door.
If I wasn't moving office I would be asking half a dozen people on my round to request the same for their safe places but only a week to go so past caring on that front.
If I wasn't moving office I would be asking half a dozen people on my round to request the same for their safe places but only a week to go so past caring on that front.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72763
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Porch delivery
A2B wrote:Of course it is, i forgot which one was the sarcasm smileyIloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
Same rule applies, it is your responsibility to leave items in secure places, the senders are the customers not the delivery point recipients.but you've just hit on another point, the original post was about a customer receiving a delivery complaining and you are saying (and you're not the only one) that the sender is the customer! How can there be a complaint if he/she is not the customer?
Because once it is delivered it is the receivers property and they can complain in their statutory rights are affected. One of those statutory rights is the goods should be well protected while they are in transit.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Mightyaj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
If you have a parcel for her then take total opposite measures to my previous advice which is card her and run!the-hanz wrote:On a lighter note:
Delivered to an elderly lady last week. She is as old as God's dog. She opened the door just as I was about to deliver the mail and took the letters from me. She then said, and I quote:
"I would hate for you to get your fingers trapped in my rusty box"
I just stood there holding back a smirk. She then said
"I couldn't tell you how many postman have had their fingers in my rusty box"
I still stood there holding back a smirk. She then smiled the dirtiest smile, winked at me and walked back in the house
Dirty old cat!
Unless of course your into the older lady!!
-
A2B
- Posts: 2033
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Porch delivery
Have you a link to that please, might come in handy when i have two customers (sender/receiver) asking me to do different thingsTrueBlueTerrier wrote:A2B wrote:Of course it is, i forgot which one was the sarcasm smileyIloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
Same rule applies, it is your responsibility to leave items in secure places, the senders are the customers not the delivery point recipients.but you've just hit on another point, the original post was about a customer receiving a delivery complaining and you are saying (and you're not the only one) that the sender is the customer! How can there be a complaint if he/she is not the customer?
Because once it is delivered it is the receivers property and they can complain in their statutory rights are affected. One of those statutory rights is the goods should be well protected while they are in transit.