As if "older guys get 'easier' rounds".norm wrote:Sorry don't agree with that at all. We all get paid the same to do the same job. If you can't handle the work-load you shouldn't be in the job. The fact older guys get "easier" rounds is down to seniority.amco37 wrote:Women probably can't walk as fast as men or carry as much, so if the Royal Mail are equal opportunity employers why don't they make allowances for that? If they expect me to work as fast as the youngest and fittest man... that's ridiculous! And it's discrimination!! Women (and even older men)should be put on easier walks. The longer and harder walks should be for the really fit guys.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
So fed-up
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: So fed-up
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: So fed-up
amco37 wrote:Hi there,
My line manager really pissed me off today when he shouted out loud for all to hear that he couldn't believe how much overtime I claimed yesterday and how do I justify it. I told him I added my 20 minute break and that the walk is long and there were a lot (and I mean a lot) of parcels that day! He seems to think I should be finished by 2pm. I finished at 4pm! This time includes my 20 minute break, driving back to the office and unloading the van (by myself, as my work partner doesn't even bother to come back to the office).
The guy I am working with has apparently just had back surgery! Don't ask me why he's working!?! Anyway, he is really slow and he doesn't always do his fair share. I am a 30 something year old woman and I'm doing the bits that a 20 something year old male boxer used to do!!!! How is this equality? My work partner has complained to the manager that the walk is too long and too much for a woman (hmm), but the manager doesn't give a s**t.
I asked the guy I'm working with if the walk has ever been tested and he said someone came out with him once and told him that he walks too slow! Everyone has different abilities. Surely it's not fair to expect us all to go at the same speed! Women probably can't walk as fast as men or carry as much, so if the Royal Mail are equal opportunity employers why don't they make allowances for that? If they expect me to work as fast as the youngest and fittest man... that's ridiculous! And it's discrimination!! Women (and even older men)should be put on easier walks. The longer and harder walks should be for the really fit guys.
Our bags are quite often very heavy and probably above the limit. There are no scales at the office for weighing the bags and weighing them would take up more time anyway. We can't really take stuff out of the bags and leave it in the van to make the bags lighter as that would mean going back and forth to the van, which would use up even more time! I can't really use a trolley either as the walk involves going places you can't take a trolley (up garden steps and stairs in flats). Plus, a trolley slows you down. We really are non-stop busy from the moment we leave the office to the moment we deliver the last letter/parcel.
Anyway, my finishing time is supposed to be 1.30 as I am on a 25 hour contract. (They have been saying they will change it to 27.5 hours for the last 4 months, but nothing happens!) I usually finish anywhere between 3 and 4pm. Nobody ever asks me in the morning if I want to work overtime. It's just expected. Plus, the manager is a little snarky so and so and if he doesn't get his way (for example, you tell him no for working your day off) then he behaves like a spoiled brat and tries to get you back some other way.
What do I do about this? The walk is extremely long and my work partner is slow because of his back problems. Also, he seems to be someone who they (the manage
ent) take advantage off and never listen to. He worked his day off today after having teeth extracted and being told by his dentist not to do any exercise!
I'm seriously considering writing a complaint to Moya Greene!!!!!!!
Oh and the other thing that's really irritating me is my day off is always Tuesday or Wednesday. I never have a long weekend, never two days in a row to give my body the chance it needs to recover
Where do you start with this.
First are you a CWU member ? If not join online today as your going to need rep support.
It sounds like your manager is one of these bully types which unfortunately plague the business. Its wrong to challenge your overtime loudly out on the floor as this is a form of intimidation and as such is bulling. He should have invited you into the office for a discussion at which point you could have explained your reasons, which you genuinely have here.
If he tries this again then ask for the conversation to be conducted in the office and then take with you your cwu rep (speak to your rep beforehand of course).
Your work partner is going to be slow if his recently had surgery. Is he under a Atos return to work program ? Why is he working OT ? Once again your rep should be on top of this.
Royal Mail are equal opportunity employers why don't they make allowances for that? If they expect me to work as fast as the youngest and fittest man... that's ridiculous! And it's discrimination!!
I think your getting confused with ability and discrimination. You have complete equality as you are being paid the same as everyone else but of course you are expected to complete the same workload. The time this takes depends on ability which is mostly subject to age and fitness level. The male /female argument has been removed with the introduction of "weight off the shoulder" method of delivery so in truth you should not be expected to struggle with heavy bags. I understand that trolleys become abandoned but to compensate your loops should be reduced to allow for a max pouch weight of 8kg. Speak to your H&S rep for more information.
There are no scales at the office for weighing the bags and weighing them would take up more time anyway
This is wrong, speak to your rep as you should have scales. This is BASIC H&S.
If the workload is heavy then decide if you want to work overtime or not. Before you go out go and speak to your manager and inform him of your decision. Its then down to him to either offer payment or arrange for the extra to be completed, not your problem. This is why they get paid up to £32k plus bonuses.
The rest day issue is another matter to take up with your rep you should be getting some weekends off at least.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........