ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: 1600 jobs to go?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Tman wrote:Different union, and not in dispute. How could they not cross the picket line?
They might find it morally objectionable.
They might find it intimidating.
They might not be sure what to do and err on the side of solidarity (I mean caution).
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Dee Plish
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 282
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:05
Gender: Male
Location: Atop many steps

Re: 1600 jobs to go?

Post by Dee Plish »

Tman wrote:Different union, and not in dispute. How could they not cross the picket line?
One of many reasons I will cross their picket line.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: 1600 jobs to go?

Post by Budfrog »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Tman wrote:Different union, and not in dispute. How could they not cross the picket line?
They might find it morally objectionable.
They might find it intimidating.
They might not be sure what to do and err on the side of solidarity (I mean caution).
They might at the very least be subject to B&H and at the worst lose their jobs if they don't .... to be perfectly honest managers get very little advice or support from their so called trade union when CWU are on strike and if it were as simple as not crossing a picket line I'm pretty sure a lot of them would stay at home.

I’ll tell you how it works:
I know a manager who refused to ‘volunteer’ to go out on collections when the CWU were on strike. His manager eMailed him saying ‘the MCM would appreciate it very much if he ‘volunteered’’ and his reply was ‘tell the MCM to instruct me and I will comply’. Next he received another 2 eMails from his manager’s manager and finally the MCM asking him to ‘volunteer’ .. he replied to each one requesting an ‘instruction’ which was never forthcoming. At his next development review the manager received the lowest mark that he had in over 20 years service, within 2 years he was moved from his job and within 3 he was out of RM altogether.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by Lounge Lizard »

jade wrote:Well that's just great,so some of the managers are going to get out,I'm frontline staff,27yrs service,been asked for Vr three times now and each time the answer is Ye,yet still no confirmation or written proposal.This is'nt good news for me,I want my VR.
- but you work too hard, you're indispensable. :Very Happy
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by Budfrog »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
jade wrote:Well that's just great,so some of the managers are going to get out,I'm frontline staff,27yrs service,been asked for Vr three times now and each time the answer is Ye,yet still no confirmation or written proposal.This is'nt good news for me,I want my VR.
- but you work too hard, you're indispensable. :Very Happy
And you are entitled to the full MTSF2 VR terms which the managers are not :dance
penlanpostie
Posts: 42
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:15
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by penlanpostie »

I'm always sad when job Losses are announced whatever industry , people may have family's to look after but I've been on picket duty when managers crossed it so I would cross theirs without any guilt.
BernardBresslaw
Posts: 381
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by BernardBresslaw »

clashcityrocker wrote:
barbario wrote:
bogstandard wrote:once they have them where they want them we''ll be next
We are,and have already been attacked,mate. Its the Managers who are next.
With TNT looking to create 20 000 jobs, the obvious result will be us losing 20 000 more jobs.
The 1300 jobs announced today will be a drop in the ocean and my maths tells me the other 18 700 will be frontline staff.
I'm not sure the maths is as simple as that though, as TNT are only creating jobs in certain geographical areas and they are not creating like-for-like jobs with ours. You are right that it will ultimately result in job losses, but not on the scale you imply. If TNT create 20,000 part time jobs, consisting of 'second jobbers, those juggling childcare arrangements', for example (their words) it is clear that these will be short hour contracts.
blisterfeet
Posts: 103
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by blisterfeet »

I'd cross the picket line even if I was on day off or holiday :-)
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by clashcityrocker »

BernardBresslaw wrote:
I'm not sure the maths is as simple as that though, as TNT are only creating jobs in certain geographical areas and they are not creating like-for-like jobs with ours. You are right that it will ultimately result in job losses, but not on the scale you imply. If TNT create 20,000 part time jobs, consisting of 'second jobbers, those juggling childcare arrangements', for example (their words) it is clear that these will be short hour contracts.
You are right that the maths isn't that simple.
Their aim is to cover 40% of all postcode areas - so the geographical areas untouched by TNT will be rural. Yet these areas aren't the most profitable for RM and an implosion in the centre will ripple out and affect those areas as well.
As to the short hour contracts - it may mean that for every 2 jobs they create we lose 1 job but that would mean a huge increase in delivery span which is probably unsustainable.
So we might not lose jobs but to save them we may al be asked to lose hours.

There simply isn't the work to sustain 2 posties covering the same streets.
Given that RM is a large, slow-to-respond chaos monster largely run by and staffed by muppets, I don't see us winning this battle.
"Only" losing 20 000 jobs may prove to be wishful thinking.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by clashcityrocker »

blisterfeet wrote:I'd cross the picket line even if I was on day off or holiday :-)
Was the trade union movement built by people who could see further than the end of their nose or not?
Discuss.

Are you first and foremost a trade unionist who respects the sanctity of the picket line?
Or do you want to be a little, spiteful mean-spirited CWU member who sees crossing a picket line as some sort of act of vengeance against their own little line manager?

There's a bigger picture.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: 1600 jobs to go?

Post by worktotime »

Bahia Feliz wrote:Unite, which represents 7,000 Royal Mail managers, warned the cuts could cause industrial action.
Can you imagine dom and linos on the picket line? :Boo hoo!
they don't have to pay cardboard cutouts but they do the same job , about f***ing time , no sympathy :wave
El-Bandito
Posts: 313
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by El-Bandito »

Any chance of a poll on RMC to see how many give a f#ck?
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by worktotime »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
jade wrote:Well that's just great,so some of the managers are going to get out,I'm frontline staff,27yrs service,been asked for Vr three times now and each time the answer is Ye,yet still no confirmation or written proposal.This is'nt good news for me,I want my VR.
- but you work too hard, you're indispensable. :Very Happy
to right you do work for your wages , doms do jack s**t , no more bonuses :left:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by krussel »

The doms roll in a office has become outdated in the extreme. I don't personally blame them for sitting around drinking coffee and playing on their phones from 10 am on but the roll they play needs to change and become more efficient Of course they are being allowed to get away with it, much like we used to with finish times. You will prob see a delivery element attached to their day in the future which could reflect on our jobs.

Personally I don't like seeing anyone lose their job but can understand why some would with B&H etc. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
wandle
Posts: 944
Joined: 25 Feb 2011, 17:17
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail announces 1600 job cuts

Post by wandle »

krussel wrote:The doms roll in a office has become outdated in the extreme. I don't personally blame them for sitting around drinking coffee and playing on their phones from 10 am on but the roll is probably going to give them food poisoning if it is well past it's 'best before' date
Seriously, though, the overall number of managers has not reduced by the same percentage as the percentage reduction in frontline staff over the past 10-15 years. Of course, managers have a role to play in the privatised Royal Mail. But they need to be subjected to the same efficiency, cost-cutting and increased productivity drives that us mere mortals have had to face. If there are too many managers for the reduced workforce, it's only right that they should face the same organisational changes that we've had to go through, in this 'transformation' process !