Dear dear dear that's it you've blown your chances of any help from the board and I - in fact I may well need to make some cut backsHimaggen wrote:On second thoughts scratch my advice, I'll save you and Royal Mail some time by cutting out the application and interview processNorthlander wrote:Himaggen wrote:Northlander, whilst you're on the way up, spare a thought for those who make an effort to help you along that journey.
...it may be worth starting that process now by thanking me for answering your question!
Ooh thank you !!!! I will remember you when I get the key to the executive toilets.
- ...with due consideration of your interpersonal skills, I regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Promotion
-
Northlander
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 16:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Might I suggest last in first outNorthlander wrote:Dear dear dear that's it you've blown your chances of any help from the board and I - in fact I may well need to make some cut backsHimaggen wrote:On second thoughts scratch my advice, I'll save you and Royal Mail some time by cutting out the application and interview processNorthlander wrote:Himaggen wrote:Northlander, whilst you're on the way up, spare a thought for those who make an effort to help you along that journey.
...it may be worth starting that process now by thanking me for answering your question!
Ooh thank you !!!! I will remember you when I get the key to the executive toilets.
- ...with due consideration of your interpersonal skills, I regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful.
-
Northlander
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 16:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
You of course can suggest all you want but as i will be a member of the management I shall ignore you !dvbuk55 wrote:Might I suggest last in first outNorthlander wrote:Dear dear dear that's it you've blown your chances of any help from the board and I - in fact I may well need to make some cut backsHimaggen wrote:On second thoughts scratch my advice, I'll save you and Royal Mail some time by cutting out the application and interview processNorthlander wrote:Himaggen wrote:Northlander, whilst you're on the way up, spare a thought for those who make an effort to help you along that journey.
...it may be worth starting that process now by thanking me for answering your question!
Ooh thank you !!!! I will remember you when I get the key to the executive toilets.
- ...with due consideration of your interpersonal skills, I regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful.
You may reapply after a period not less than 6 months
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Northlander wrote:You of course can suggest all you want but as i will be a member of the management I shall ignore you !
-
dmin
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 16 Dec 2012, 08:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Personally I don't see anything wrong with people wanting to better themselves in any area, its a pity they're usually slagged off for doing so by those who dont
-
The_Wax_Man
- Posts: 191
- Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 14:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Northlander,
I like your background - but bear in mind that life is sometimes more important.
Similar experience to yourself, I'd imagine, in that I'm Six Sigma Black Belt trained, full Hoshin Kanri deployment methodology trained along with various lean management facilitation programmes
Spent 15 years travelling around Europe holding kaizens, VP & CEO presentations all within blue chip companies, saving them millions along the way - and yes I had the triple figure salary to go with it.
I took time out in 2010 and since them have developed my own thing which I enjoy much, much more. I have time on my hands, enjoy the people I work with and overall RM is not a bad place to be.
I've certainly steered clear of WCM as the RM methods and deployment are completely ars.e about face and I refuse to assist unless they decide to get it right.
But you know what, I have no stress, enjoy my days and have more time, to be absolute blunt, I make more money before 1pm on a Monday morning than I do during a weeks work with RM so it's not about that.
I enjoy working with my colleagues and I enjoy meeting my customers.
Enjoy life my man, As I see and I'm sure you can see every day the deficiencies at every step of working at RM - but a 1 man band will not change it. You will certainly find it frustrating - it's how you deal with that, that matters.
If it is the money your doing it for, then your not going to enjoy working the hours, the weather and the RM methods as it will go against every grain in someone from such an office based corporate background.
You know what to do, you have to decide yourself what you want from the role. For me and what I do it fits perfect with my life.
On the plus side, as you were a business program change manager in a previous life, it's almost like going 'back to the floor' - and that experience is invaluable.

I like your background - but bear in mind that life is sometimes more important.
Similar experience to yourself, I'd imagine, in that I'm Six Sigma Black Belt trained, full Hoshin Kanri deployment methodology trained along with various lean management facilitation programmes
Spent 15 years travelling around Europe holding kaizens, VP & CEO presentations all within blue chip companies, saving them millions along the way - and yes I had the triple figure salary to go with it.
I took time out in 2010 and since them have developed my own thing which I enjoy much, much more. I have time on my hands, enjoy the people I work with and overall RM is not a bad place to be.
I've certainly steered clear of WCM as the RM methods and deployment are completely ars.e about face and I refuse to assist unless they decide to get it right.
But you know what, I have no stress, enjoy my days and have more time, to be absolute blunt, I make more money before 1pm on a Monday morning than I do during a weeks work with RM so it's not about that.
I enjoy working with my colleagues and I enjoy meeting my customers.
Enjoy life my man, As I see and I'm sure you can see every day the deficiencies at every step of working at RM - but a 1 man band will not change it. You will certainly find it frustrating - it's how you deal with that, that matters.
If it is the money your doing it for, then your not going to enjoy working the hours, the weather and the RM methods as it will go against every grain in someone from such an office based corporate background.
You know what to do, you have to decide yourself what you want from the role. For me and what I do it fits perfect with my life.
On the plus side, as you were a business program change manager in a previous life, it's almost like going 'back to the floor' - and that experience is invaluable.
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Promotion
Don't understand why you have come from a management job and not gone back into management. You've taken on a role as a OPG and you appear not to want to do that after 6 weeks or was it a case of getting your foot in the door, do a bit of graft for a few weeks and test the water. Its all very commendable that you maybe want to move up the RM ladder, but so quickly? You do realise that they are going to have a cull on managers in the near future?
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
Northlander
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 16:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
If they do cull the management and it s done via voluntary redundancy then as always happens the good managers leave on a nice package and the crap ones who don't think anyone would employ them will stay.Stormproof wrote:Don't understand why you have come from a management job and not gone back into management. You've taken on a role as a OPG and you appear not to want to do that after 6 weeks or was it a case of getting your foot in the door, do a bit of graft for a few weeks and test the water. Its all very commendable that you maybe want to move up the RM ladder, but so quickly? You do realise that they are going to have a cull on managers in the near future?
The initial thread was started a bit tongue in cheek as mentioned but that said its hard to quell the pushy career driven side of me and as I see/hear how bad some of the management are I start to think hey I could do that and better than some.
As also mentioned I didn't join for the money that said I wouldn't do it for free before anyone suggests it.
Maybe I should just shut up and keep quiet and just keep my nose out of it - but like any job I have ever had I want to do it well and be part of a team that does well too, with motivational management and within a company that respects and rewards you for your efforts.
-
tasam
- Posts: 202
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 15:49
Re: Promotion
[b[/b]
Picked the wrong employer there then.Northlander wrote:If they do cull the management and it s done via voluntary redundancy then as always happens the good managers leave on a nice package and the crap ones who don't think anyone would employ them will stay.Stormproof wrote:Don't understand why you have come from a management job and not gone back into management. You've taken on a role as a OPG and you appear not to want to do that after 6 weeks or was it a case of getting your foot in the door, do a bit of graft for a few weeks and test the water. Its all very commendable that you maybe want to move up the RM ladder, but so quickly? You do realise that they are going to have a cull on managers in the near future?
The initial thread was started a bit tongue in cheek as mentioned but that said its hard to quell the pushy career driven side of me and as I see/hear how bad some of the management are I start to think hey I could do that and better than some.
As also mentioned I didn't join for the money that said I wouldn't do it for free before anyone suggests it.
Maybe I should just shut up and keep quiet and just keep my nose out of it - but like any job I have ever had I want to do it well and be part of a team that does well too, with motivational management and within a company that respects and rewards you for your efforts.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Promotion
The last tranche of manager redundancies had some forced voluntary elements in it - we have an ex-manager on here who was a victim of it. They weren't operations though.
I think its more likely that the cull will be downward redeployment rather than outward. However, if you have formal managerial training then you may better than our current crop of 1 day seminar wonders, and hopefully you have a strong enough character to be able to be float to the top without performing favours.
I think its more likely that the cull will be downward redeployment rather than outward. However, if you have formal managerial training then you may better than our current crop of 1 day seminar wonders, and hopefully you have a strong enough character to be able to be float to the top without performing favours.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Don't think this conjures up a very nice image, TBTand hopefully you have a strong enough character to be able to be float to the top
or was that your intention?
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Promotion
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Budfrog
- Posts: 893
- Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19
Re: Promotion
Keep your eyes on Reed.co.uk as some Vacs appear there and not on the official Royal Mail site ... the management access program is now limited to Graduates I believe although they used to accept people with management experience in other industries.
There are many jobs that do not involve line management (eg Marketting/HR/Finance/Sales) so don't limit yourself to just ML positions and being a 'failed postie' is not an essential requirement.
There are many jobs that do not involve line management (eg Marketting/HR/Finance/Sales) so don't limit yourself to just ML positions and being a 'failed postie' is not an essential requirement.