ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are PDA's always rubbish and slow you down?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kremmen
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 18
Joined: 02 Dec 2011, 15:55
Gender: Male

Re: Are PDA's always rubbish and slow you down?

Post by kremmen »

I just started this week on 6 month contract and as someone has lost 1 pda I have to use paper. No one wants to swap unfortunately. However all the vans have chargers and we don't have any bicycles or own cars here. It was all so different when I did Xmas temping in 2011. :dance

Paul
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16728
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Are PDA's always rubbish and slow you down?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Isn't it wonderful that somebody can stick a barcode on a packet in a post office in Myanmar and I can scan it in the streets of Cambuslang?
One global village.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
motch
Posts: 332
Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
Gender: Male

Re: Are PDA's always rubbish and slow you down?

Post by motch »

joeyuk wrote:I don't mind the PDA, it has crashed twice which slows me down about 5 mins each time. Found the lock device the other day so now do that before i place it in the bag otherwise it can come up with some weird menus when i next take it out the bag. The thing is crap for signing though, not met anyone who can sign it with any with anything like their really signature but with GPS i guess royal mail can prove it was signed outside the address.
I often scan a non-signed for tracked item in the van, and then deliver them a distance away, then when I get back to the van I click the appropriate onscreen button - is this opening myself up for potential hassles if the customers says they never received it? it's easier doing this sometimes rather than carrying half a brick around in a bag..
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: Are PDA's always rubbish and slow you down?

Post by sussexlad »

motch wrote:
joeyuk wrote:I don't mind the PDA, it has crashed twice which slows me down about 5 mins each time. Found the lock device the other day so now do that before i place it in the bag otherwise it can come up with some weird menus when i next take it out the bag. The thing is crap for signing though, not met anyone who can sign it with any with anything like their really signature but with GPS i guess royal mail can prove it was signed outside the address.
I often scan a non-signed for tracked item in the van, and then deliver them a distance away, then when I get back to the van I click the appropriate onscreen button - is this opening myself up for potential hassles if the customers says they never received it? it's easier doing this sometimes rather than carrying half a brick around in a bag..
You should scan it on the doorstep to be honest. Anyway what do you do if you have 2 tracks for that loop?
motch
Posts: 332
Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
Gender: Male

Re: Are PDA's always rubbish and slow you down?

Post by motch »

sussexlad wrote:
motch wrote:
joeyuk wrote:I don't mind the PDA, it has crashed twice which slows me down about 5 mins each time. Found the lock device the other day so now do that before i place it in the bag otherwise it can come up with some weird menus when i next take it out the bag. The thing is crap for signing though, not met anyone who can sign it with any with anything like their really signature but with GPS i guess royal mail can prove it was signed outside the address.
I often scan a non-signed for tracked item in the van, and then deliver them a distance away, then when I get back to the van I click the appropriate onscreen button - is this opening myself up for potential hassles if the customers says they never received it? it's easier doing this sometimes rather than carrying half a brick around in a bag..
You should scan it on the doorstep to be honest. Anyway what do you do if you have 2 tracks for that loop?
If I had 2 tracks that I know will post through the letterbox i'll scan them both at the van as delivered. A big parcel I might scan it at the van - take it around with me - and then input appropriate data back at the van. This is when i'm using the van by myself and not as a park and loop scenario.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: Are PDA's always rubbish and slow you down?

Post by sussexlad »

motch wrote:
sussexlad wrote:
motch wrote:
joeyuk wrote:I don't mind the PDA, it has crashed twice which slows me down about 5 mins each time. Found the lock device the other day so now do that before i place it in the bag otherwise it can come up with some weird menus when i next take it out the bag. The thing is crap for signing though, not met anyone who can sign it with any with anything like their really signature but with GPS i guess royal mail can prove it was signed outside the address.
I often scan a non-signed for tracked item in the van, and then deliver them a distance away, then when I get back to the van I click the appropriate onscreen button - is this opening myself up for potential hassles if the customers says they never received it? it's easier doing this sometimes rather than carrying half a brick around in a bag..
You should scan it on the doorstep to be honest. Anyway what do you do if you have 2 tracks for that loop?
If I had 2 tracks that I know will post through the letterbox i'll scan them both at the van as delivered. A big parcel I might scan it at the van - take it around with me - and then input appropriate data back at the van. This is when i'm using the van by myself and not as a park and loop scenario.
Ok but they can check on black-bay exactly where you are when you make your scans, so if someone happened to notice that you have little groups of scans in one or two places then they could start asking questions.