ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DaveF14
Posts: 184
Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 17:38
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by DaveF14 »

MentalVortex wrote:I really do not understand why people come in early FOR FREE!!!! I sometimes come in earlier than my official starting time but I always, ALWAYS, claim the hours when I do. My official hours on one day might be from 08:30 - 14:30 but because the duty takes longer than what they allow I'll come in at 07:30 and finish around 14:30 rather than to the 15:30 it would take me to if I came in at the scheduled time. I always claim the hours - like EVERYONE in our office who comes in early.

Anyone who comes in early - or, indeed, does anything for RM - for free is a clown.

You've just said you come in early yourself, so you are calling yourself a clown. Hilarious.
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by bigcol »

MentalVortex wrote:You've just said you come in early yourself, so you are calling yourself a clown. Hilarious.
:left: :d'oh!
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by fishtank »

I think most of us who can read understood the point he was making. :cuppa
MentalVortex wrote:I really do not understand why people come in early FOR FREE!!!!
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by BELIAL »

MentalVortex wrote: I always, ALWAYS, claim the hours when I do. My official hours on one day might be from 08:30 - 14:30 but because the duty takes longer than what they allow I'll come in at 07:30 and finish around 14:30 rather than to the 15:30 it would take me to if I came in at the scheduled time.
Anyone who comes in early - or, indeed, does anything for RM - for free is a clown.
Yep we understood, :whistle but we still think he's a clown :crazy:
Bye
MentalVortex
Posts: 55
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 15:31
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by MentalVortex »

Belial, looking at the bits you highlighted there I thought it was bad description on my part. I was going to clarify but realised upon re-reading that what I've written is correct. Maybe you could explain why the bits you've highlighted point to 'clown'. To make it a bit clearer for you:

The official duty time is 08:30 - 14:30.
In order to complete it takes around an extra hour, so that's on average 08:30 - 15:30 where, on the days I do come in at the official time, I claim about an hour a day.
It doesn't suit me at all to be out until around 15:30 so I therefore work on average from 07:30 - 14:30, where I claim about an hour a day.

At least fishtank gets it.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by fishtank »

MentalVortex wrote:At least fishtank gets it.

If coming in an hour early is sanctioned by your manager,paid without question and the reason it's needed is flagged up by your rep at the weekly resource meeting i get it.
If not...i don't get it.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by BELIAL »

MentalVortex wrote:Belial, looking at the bits you highlighted there I thought it was bad description on my part. I was going to clarify but realised upon re-reading that what I've written is correct. Maybe you could explain why the bits you've highlighted point to 'clown'. To make it a bit clearer for you:

The official duty time is 08:30 - 14:30.
In order to complete it takes around an extra hour, so that's on average 08:30 - 15:30 where, on the days I do come in at the official time, I claim about an hour a day.
It doesn't suit me at all to be out until around 15:30 so I therefore work on average from 07:30 - 14:30, where I claim about an hour a day.

At least fishtank gets it.
Cheap labour . You work an hour extra you get paid an hour extra ,no time and a half ,just time ;no extra pension ;no extra holidays; no extra breaks . From RM's point of view you are cheap labour ,it might seem small beer but multiply it by 100,000 over a year. That's a lot of jobs/savings . Don't forget these are the people who have worked out the profit involved from saving 20 seconds a day from fewer cleardowns :shock:
Tis a bean counters world ,why let them have it all their own way?
Bye
MentalVortex
Posts: 55
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 15:31
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by MentalVortex »

Belial, I see your point now, very clearly in fact. From my own perspective it still suits to do the early. Also our office has casuals who they make take out cut-offs, so the hour or so that I would leave would be delivered by them for something like half (mayeb a little less than half?) of my rate. Those poor bastards are slaved & underpaid. It also saves me the hassle of having to go through a whole rigmarole with the line manager and then - inevitably - the dom (who try to make you feel like crap for leaving stuff). All it does is put me in foul mood for having to deal with their attitude over something like that. I suppose we could go down the harrassment route regarding that but from listening to people in the past there doesn't seem to be much point as nothing ever gets done.

fishtank, on your points:
Yes the earlies are sanctioned by management and always paid without question. By flagged up by the rep at weekly resource meetings do you mean the union rep at wtll? I've never heard of a weekly resource meeting to be honest. People here are constantly complaining about duties being too long at wtll, though. It goes in one ear and out the other :arrrghhh
AJ1987
Posts: 108
Joined: 29 Apr 2012, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by AJ1987 »

MentalVortex wrote:Belial, I see your point now, very clearly in fact. From my own perspective it still suits to do the early. Also our office has casuals who they make take out cut-offs, so the hour or so that I would leave would be delivered by them for something like half (mayeb a little less than half?) of my rate. Those poor bastards are slaved & underpaid. It also saves me the hassle of having to go through a whole rigmarole with the line manager and then - inevitably - the dom (who try to make you feel like crap for leaving stuff). All it does is put me in foul mood for having to deal with their attitude over something like that. I suppose we could go down the harrassment route regarding that but from listening to people in the past there doesn't seem to be much point as nothing ever gets done.

fishtank, on your points:
Yes the earlies are sanctioned by management and always paid without question. By flagged up by the rep at weekly resource meetings do you mean the union rep at wtll? I've never heard of a weekly resource meeting to be honest. People here are constantly complaining about duties being too long at wtll, though. It goes in one ear and out the other :arrrghhh
It might be unpopular for me to agree but i get what your saying. I havn't started yet but if i find myself having to work an hour over everyday and I had the option, and of course as long as I was paid!, I'd rather come in an hour earlier too. It'd suit my lifestyle, I've gota a young daughter and starting earlier and finishing on time or earlier with full hours paid would mean i'd get to spend more time with her when she was actually awake or even when she's older be able to collect her off the school bus. Just makes sense. Also if the possiblity of getting an extra hour in my pay, everyday for the full 6days im working would be an extra what? £50 in my pay? and being a part-timer with no job security on only a 24hour contract for 4months I'd personally be trying to get every extra penny I could to keep a roof over my head and put bread on the table.

All this is working on the assumption I'd get paid for the extra hour, I'd definately not do it for free!
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by BELIAL »

Fine chaps, welcome to the slippery slope .
Its all downhill and it will get steeper . Just as long as you know where you are going :wink:
Bye
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

BELIAL wrote:Fine chaps, welcome to the slippery slope .
Its all downhill and it will get steeper . Just as long as you know where you are going :wink:
Yep and fairly soon now they'll be a few Managerial Grades trying to bump people off on their way down.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Royal_Fail
Posts: 398
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 19:03
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by Royal_Fail »

I did this for a few years 1-2 hours overtime prepping my walk every morning turn it down and you come into missorts and a half prepped frame.

Of course this was pre revision all the overtime is cut offs now.
MentalVortex
Posts: 55
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 15:31
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by MentalVortex »

Oh man, I hate it when someone preps my frame. As you say, RF, that inevitably results in boxes not cleared, packet bags just ditched under the frame, d2d not prepped, redirectrions not done, mail to be endorsed just left on the frame etc, while the f****r is tying his own delivery down. That usually means last out of the office and then having to deal with numerous missorts on the street. Nightmare.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by eastie »

Plus RM are saving loads by getting P/T, ie. 32 hour staff staff doing 40 hours by coming in early every day but saving on holiday pay pension payments etc.
Its getting F/T staff on the cheap
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: read this if you come in early unpaid on P/L

Post by fishtank »

eastie wrote:Plus RM are saving loads by getting P/T, ie. 32 hour staff staff doing 40 hours by coming in early every day but saving on holiday pay pension payments etc.
Its getting F/T staff on the cheap
Hopefully that's going to change eastie.
3.3 The level of part timers’ contracted hours will be jointly reviewed locally on
a six monthly basis. Where appropriate, increased contracted hours will be
offered to reflect the hours actually worked and planned.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share