ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How do you get to your round?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Gazza90000
Posts: 51
Joined: 02 Sep 2007, 11:13

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by Gazza90000 »

Scotty beams me up...
R5Rich
Posts: 41
Joined: 28 Feb 2011, 21:57
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by R5Rich »

Well today I got some help thankfully!

A guy who use to do the walk for around a year came to help me bundle it all up and show me how it should be done. Following the frame like I did yesterday was a complete nightmare was always back tracking on myself and having to cover probably twice the distance. Today he did it so it ran in a loop and I was never walking back on it. Took me 30 minutes over though, asked for the OT "How about you just start later tomorrow yeah?"
Well from now on it is my 5 hours and I am done. Been there 7 weeks or so and fed up of that already. Is it to early to tell them I am doing my 5 hours and that is all? I have other things to do after work.

In my previous employment when starting I have been given handbooks with all the health & safety and procedures that are to be followed etc.. not here.
Looked through my contract and it says "25 hour week" but then also states something about having to give the service the public expect so "reasonable amount of overtime may be required to complete the job to a satisfactory level" or some tosh.
Where does that last bit leave me with stopping after my 5?
L8Hatter
Posts: 191
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 13:26
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by L8Hatter »

R5Rich wrote: In my previous employment when starting I have been given handbooks with all the health & safety and procedures that are to be followed etc.. not here.
Looked through my contract and it says "25 hour week" but then also states something about having to give the service the public expect so "reasonable amount of overtime may be required to complete the job to a satisfactory level" or some tosh.
Where does that last bit leave me with stopping after my 5?
In all fairness, It's fairly prominent in the contract and on the application website. It was also emphasised quite strongly in my interview. Every job I've had has required flexibility, RM are no different

On the other hand, I fully sympathise as it sounds like they are giving you the bouncearound. Different duty each day, with little motivation to help from colleague or managers, unless you're going to delay the van. Unless you get something like a regular work pattern, then finishing bang on time is a probably bit of a non-starter
R5Rich
Posts: 41
Joined: 28 Feb 2011, 21:57
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by R5Rich »

I don't have an issue with working a bit later that is fine but it is when it is likely to happen nearly every Monday when giving a new duty and conisiderably later. I am grateful for the help a guy in there gave me yesterday made it a lot easier in the end and if I was to get that sort of help sorting my round each time it wouldn't be any where near as bad.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by POSTMAN »

reasonable amount of overtime may be required to complete the job to a satisfactory level
Couldn't tell you what is in my contract but the fact that the above has been allowed to slip in is bollox.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.