ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by taurus88 »

clashcityrocker wrote:Don't hand in your notice.
Get them to explain how you are supposed to get them delivered if you are not allocated sufficient time to do so.
I will do, I have done, but I'm just sick of the baggage that goes with it. It's a complete and utter piss-take; do this, do that, can you do this? All whilst the managers fail to comprehend the simple duties that are theirs to perform, such as the delegation of the various parts of the workload, and the micro-management roles that befall them when they are the lino of a particular area of the delivery office. Quite frankly, the individual responsible for my section of the office today was ridiculous. I shall not elaborate to the extent of slander but you can imagine what I mean by that.

I've just read the LTB about the census, especially the part about 'co-operation' and I am SEETHING. If the census contract is made a mess of, it shall be Royal Mail's fault - and not the work-force. I think it's embarrassing, when I walk in on the Monday of the busiest week of the year so far (and possibly the busiest week of any year for the next ten due to the weight), that I find my part-time walk not fully prepped of mech - that's before we even get the census - and the walk next to me (another part-time walk) not prepped at all. Did they not see this week coming?

Going into the week, I was prepared to do overtime if it came down to it to help clear the census. Now, I shan't be doing any. I don't give a frak any more. I shall not be touching the docket ever again in any way, shape or form.
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by wiganpostie »

Thought I had walked into the wrong work place today as I found more Quarter-Pounders than MacDonalds handles in a week under my bench. About 100 had been prepped into the frame, but it was otherwise a ridiculously light day (two boxes of mech and one box of flats), so I took about two thirds of the census in total today. Taking bets on when the ,ahem, 'delayed' mail will appear - my money is on Thursday.
nowt on the wireless
Posts: 56
Joined: 27 Mar 2010, 19:10
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by nowt on the wireless »

GOT THIS WEEK OFF :shhhhh
What A Smashing Blouse You're Wearing
pyphon
Posts: 231
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: North East England

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by pyphon »

No issues with me, finished on time, with a 1/3 done, just took where i was going, apart from easy parts.
Hitcher
Posts: 1540
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by Hitcher »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Hitcher wrote:
rhino49 wrote:I will take one to every address with mail today
That's what I did today and it wasn't too bad; at least it was walk sequenced.
I did and though I had 3 extra bags I was able to plan it not to take any longer than usual. Did get stopped once or twice though by customers telling me I was walking in the wrong direction :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

Wasn't as bad as I expected but ours was Walk Sorted not Walk Sequenced.
When I say 'sequenced' I don't mean sequenced to the frame order but for the most part the bundles were sequenced to the road order.
Last edited by Hitcher on 07 Mar 2011, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by George door to dawes »

Came in on my day off today expecting to get rid of as many as i could on a light monday and there were none ready! :d'oh! I guess we will be given them towards the end of the week when our bags are heaviest!
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by OnAFlyer »

taurus88 wrote:Alright, alright, this is the beginning of the week in which managers prove they have no planning skills whatsoever . . . oh, no, that was proven the day God made the sun and the sky, wasn't it? Okay, okay. This is the week that an already omnipresent sense of the shambolic evolves into a state of supermassiveness. Many of us are being told that we must deliver 80kg worth of flats over a three-day period, on walks that are already testing our hours to the limit. So, what madness awaits?

I'm predicting that they won't even prep any of the censuses for my walk ready for when I walk in the door. I'm predicting arguments with managers. I'm predicting desperation from managers when I tell them my intentions, which are entirely self-centred 98.5% of the time. I'm predicting idiots coming in even earlier than they usually do to help them keep abreast of the greater than normal workload. I'm predicting chaos around the country as well. It will be a great week.

Me? I'm looking forward to it. You've gotta have a bit of fun in your life.
I took all 600 of mine today. Started on time, returned to office only 5mins after my time.

Had only 1.5 boxes of sequenced mail, 1 packet to knock on, no recordeds and no specials so it seemed stupid not to get them all out of the way - plus I have use of a CDV so I P&L loads of bags.

It was so light today I reckon everyone in my office has taken at least half.
NEmallard
Posts: 103
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:56
Gender: Male
Location: North East

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by NEmallard »

Must admit was easier today than i thought it would be. Took 75% of mine and managed to get all the difficult bits out of the way.

I was fearing the worst.
working for Royal Mail, is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.......
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

We changed the words of this song today;


Census - working overtime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5rj7qeeqzs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :Very Happy :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by Indy »

Did 90% of my census today despite having 5 d2d (took out and completed 2) Mech was quite heavy with 7 average sized bundles but NO packets of flats to speak of.

Office had bit of an argument with management with "We have 3 days NOT 2!" to take it all out but apart from that it all went pretty smoothly. I was expecting far more issues. Most people took out more than 50%.
People here are wondering if RM have held any mail back??? and are we going to get clobbered Thurs, Fri, Sat???

Oh well, a good soak in a hot radox bath and an early night for me!
Big Daz
Posts: 5668
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by Big Daz »

The DOM decided this morning to extend from 3 days to 6 days our time period. So I im takin one 6th a day to the same section as my DTD each day, may take more some days dependinhg on how many packets any given section of the round has. I have a C5 size BT leaflet this week which is a envelope and thats it for DTD. Last week had 5 sets.
johnnyrocker
Posts: 42
Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 19:01
Gender: Male

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by johnnyrocker »

We had 25000 turn up. Managed to deliver one item.......might try and deliver some more this week
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by Indy »

nowt on the wireless wrote:GOT THIS WEEK OFF :shhhhh
Theres ALWAYS one isn't there!! :shhhhh (lucky sod you!)
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by arnold cheshire »

arty_morty wrote:Monday is a very light day in our office. I had 4 SDs and half a York of packets, all of which I knocked out between 745 and 900. So as far as the census goes I did all mine today as all I had to do was bag drops and when you have 300 address points all with communal letterboxes it makes life very easy.
i want a transfer to your delivery office :nana
arty_morty
Posts: 282
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: A Pre-Emptive 'Census Shambles' Thread

Post by arty_morty »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
arty_morty wrote:Monday is a very light day in our office. I had 4 SDs and half a York of packets, all of which I knocked out between 745 and 900. So as far as the census goes I did all mine today as all I had to do was bag drops and when you have 300 address points all with communal letterboxes it makes life very easy.
i want a transfer to your delivery office :nana
Sounds good but our DOM level things out. The word 'inflexible' has his name down as a definition.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.