ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Feevin'

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Feevin'

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I'm sure we've all had this one. Delivered a Christmas Card that'd been opened (not obviously). Customer says, "My Mum sent the kids a Tenner and you thieving Bastards have nicked it!" after taking the usual deep breath and controlling my natural instinct the twat him I gave him chapter and verse:

"You shouldn't send cash through the post, only cheques or postal orders. And do you think if I had nicked your Tenner I'd be stupid enough to deliver the empty envelope to you?"

He replied, "I'm getting pissed of with this, the same thing happened last year!" And yes I had told him the same thing the year before. :crazy: Some people should not be allowed to breed!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postman1
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 Jul 2010, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: Feevin'

Post by postman1 »

If you see a Opened/Damaged Letter/Card ALWAYS put in a damage sealed clear Bag and get it signed on it from your Manager, that then covers your backside if any Customers give you any ''Hassle'' saying you have been tampering with their mail.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Feevin'

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Thanks for the advice P1, I will use an envelope if the mail's blatantly damaged, but you know what these cheapo cards are like the gum's non-existant. If you do stick them down they usually pop open in the post! :shock: I normally use cellotape on my own mail.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: Feevin'

Post by Indy »

postman1 wrote:If you see a Opened/Damaged Letter/Card ALWAYS put in a damage sealed clear Bag and get it signed on it from your Manager, that then covers your backside if any Customers give you any ''Hassle'' saying you have been tampering with their mail.
Whats the the reason that your manager signing it? Not heard of this and to be honest I reckon my manager would refuse anyway.... whats to stop a bent postman opening a card then getting the manage to sign it as damaged?
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Feevin'

Post by taurus88 »

Whenever something looks opened/damaged, I always knock on the customer's door and invite them to check that the contents are as expected before accepting the item. If somebody then wants to come back and accuse me then fair enough, I must be the most honest/stupid thieving postie bastard in the world.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Feevin'

Post by TeeferTiger »

I do the same Taurus. If I notice before leaving the office, I stick it in a damaged bag. If not, I'll knock on.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
mailmonkey
Posts: 431
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 22:12
Gender: Male

Re: Feevin'

Post by mailmonkey »

Someone got sacked from my office, must be 3 years ago now, was nicking money from cards etc....

Had even nicked a birthday card addressed to another postie in the office, had the cash out of it, and then gone down the pub and bought the poor postie a pint for his birthday!

The f***ing pits. :evil/mad . I considered this postie a friend, have not spoken since.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: Feevin'

Post by Indy »

taurus88 wrote:Whenever something looks opened/damaged, I always knock on the customer's door and invite them to check that the contents are as expected before accepting the item. If somebody then wants to come back and accuse me then fair enough, I must be the most honest/stupid thieving postie bastard in the world.
Do that round here and it would be like saying "please do me violence!" or at the very least serious verbal abuse. The biggest problem I find is that so many people instead of sealing an envelope shut either by licking the gum or using sellotape they fold it into the actual envelope.... if that makes sense! then in the normal rough and tumble of mail sorting etc its comes out leading to customers thinking that something dodgy is going on when its not!

I'd used to say "you shouldn't be sending cash in the post" but got too many "you posties should stop fooking feevin" in reply which was embarrassing... so stopped!