at one office i worked at they had "master copies" of the street layout for every walk, the numbering on each individual road was also indicated, so you knew where the odds and evens started, so you could just photocopy the master copy, and it was a great help.
As said above many times though, getting the bagging order correct and numbering the bundles is the most important thing.
Your colleagues will show you how to bag up, just make sure you take a copy so you dont have to ask again next time.
I had a little black book with bagging guides for many different walks when i was a reserve. Just common sense stuff really.
Only nightmare i ever had was when i got sent to another office, the estate i was delivering to must have had the numbering scheme designed by a town planner who was on crack cocaine, i found a local resident, asked him where number so & so was, his reply, mate i have lived here for 20 years and i aint got a clue about the numbers !!!
Ended up taking a couple of bags back, but hey s**t happens..
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
blind walk
-
savo
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Re: blind walk
'Dear chief secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,' ( Liam Byrne MP )
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16740
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: blind walk
When I was in the Scouts I had one of them as well.savo wrote:I had a little black book with bagging guides ..
What's it got to do with RM?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: blind walk
clashcityrocker wrote:When I was in the Scouts I had one of them as well.savo wrote:I had a little black book with bagging guides ..
What's it got to do with RM?

good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: blind walk
Did some blind overtime today, all went well until I reach the last five addresses, all being blocks of modern flats (10-15 in each building).
The way the frame was written...
Did not allow for how one block was split into two sections of mini boxes around the building.
One address having a really random scattering of the numbers in each section of mini boxes around a cul-de-sac (eg. 15;16;27;28)
One address having "trades" buttons that were long past their deadline, had to ring every flat (15 seconds a time) to get access
One block of flats having a poorly positioned address number which thankfully only meant I accidentally gave them someone else's D2D, which I worked out later, but managed to go back to said address with proper letters.
I reckon those 5 "courts" lost me at least 45 minutes, totalling ~65 letterboxes!
All part of the fun in going out "blind," which meant I could legitimately claim 2hrs40 including my extra meal relief allowance at 5 & 7 hours!
The way the frame was written...
Did not allow for how one block was split into two sections of mini boxes around the building.
One address having a really random scattering of the numbers in each section of mini boxes around a cul-de-sac (eg. 15;16;27;28)
One address having "trades" buttons that were long past their deadline, had to ring every flat (15 seconds a time) to get access
One block of flats having a poorly positioned address number which thankfully only meant I accidentally gave them someone else's D2D, which I worked out later, but managed to go back to said address with proper letters.
I reckon those 5 "courts" lost me at least 45 minutes, totalling ~65 letterboxes!
All part of the fun in going out "blind," which meant I could legitimately claim 2hrs40 including my extra meal relief allowance at 5 & 7 hours!
-
Ogg
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 13:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Cornwall
Re: blind walk
I think you're all missing the point. There is a possible grievance complaint regarding going out 'blind' without any formal training. What has your local rep got to say about it? At least get someone to run you through the route in a van while the mornign sorting is occuring (as has happened in our office). I refused to go blind myself, stuck to my guns and they gave in :)
-
yorkpostgal
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 10:32
- Gender: Female
- Location: west yorkshire
Re: blind walk
Thanks for all the gr8 advice it really helped u guys r wonderful xoxox:)