ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mail figures drop...my arse!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by gb93 »

fishtank wrote:It might surprise you to know this gb but i actually like the idea of CDV's,two in a van and park&loop.
I've carried a bag long enough,my knees are shot and i'm not getting any younger.
I do,however fear the longer delivery spans and half-assed implementation that comes with it.
Complete agreement on this post Fish.
However you seemed to have glossed over the 2 biggest dangers of CDV, working with someone who has BO & the problem someone has to drive them :crazy: :Very Happy
Two reasons enough to scrap the whole thing.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by taurus88 »

fishtank wrote:
gb93 wrote:
taurus88 wrote:I don't care about the mail being heavy, it's the f*cking packets that kill me. I'm thinking of chucking them in a separate bag and leaving them until I've done all the mail, then just popping along the route in the car and getting them all done.
Sure to be well recieved on here ;liar
Could be the ideal solution to halting them baby killing CDVs :Very Happy
It's a great idea gb :Very Happy ...why not take your bags out yourself while your at it? :Very Happy ....and throw your D2D in the boot so you can make it up while you're watching Corrie. :Very Happy Actually it'll save even more time if you just bin the D2D. :Very Happy :chuckle
It makes the job so much easier...and let's face it that's all that matters. :cuppa
Eh?

I drive to my delivery, I don't take my bags out with me, they go with the van man. I have to pick each of them up from a local business (crap drop off point as it's impossible to make it run around one focus point). I take my break and I finish around about 1.35pm every day. That I use the car to get there is just so that I have somewhere to go and sit down and eat my lunch. I could use a bike but I don't like them and know I wouldn't abide by the H&S. The walk is too close for a van according to that stupid chart.

Seeing as I do the job as properly as I can, how I do the packets is up to moi.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by fishtank »

taurus88 wrote: Seeing as I do the job as properly as I can, how I do the packets is up to moi.
Firstly the post was tongue in cheek and directed at gb not you personally.
Secondly if you deliver the packets from your car a la Mr White Van Man your insurance is null&void and if you got caught,not only would you face a fine and possible ban for having no valid insurance...you would most likely lose your job..but like you say it's up to you. :roll:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by POSTMAN »

The walk is too close for a van according to that stupid chart.
What does that mean?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
bedfordrl
Posts: 386
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 22:16
Gender: Male
Location: North East Hampshire

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by bedfordrl »

Don't know what chart you are referring to but CDV is only for rounds 1 mile from the office,or so I was told.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by taurus88 »

Yes, according to the chart, vans are for walks 1 mile or more from the office. However, this is all an irrelevance as I now use a bike on my round. I sometimes take the packets last on a heavy day as my walk is quite circular - it only takes five minutes and can be a lot easier than lugging everything around with you.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by BELIAL »

Seeing as I do the job as properly as I can, how I do the packets is up to moi.
:chuckle Says it all :chuckle Tell us your office and duty and then let's see if IB think it's up to "moi" :left: :left: :left: :left: It's just a matter of time :nervous
Bye
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by taurus88 »

Unless IB can deal in the untangling of anachronisms, I'm going to be fine. Hint: read all posts, past and present, to build up a proper picture of the present situation. Seeing as everyone in my office uses their own car (literally), I'm now one of the few people who can claim to be doing the job within the proper bounds as I am using my bicycle.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by BELIAL »

:hmmmm Yep whatever , but just a word to the wise, IB have no interest in anachronisms or what anyone else does, the rules is the rules ,circumstances or extenuating s**t will play no part in the judgement. Flexible working might be the latest buzzword ,but it only works one way ,and it does not apply to security or standards ,so be very very careful :wink:
Bye
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by taurus88 »

DGAF about IB. I've nothing to justify to them other than my complete lack of training.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by BELIAL »

Not a valid defence ,I'm sorry. We've all got targets
Bye
Sharkeyes
Posts: 141
Joined: 13 Sep 2010, 18:47
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by Sharkeyes »

Back in 1989, I took out two bags on the first delivery and two bundles on the second. Now I go out with 6 or 7 bags per day regulary.
Our packet bag would one or two items in it, now I have two full grey sacks off the frame!
Who do they think they're kidding saying volumes are falling, 'my arse!'
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

BELIAL wrote:Not a valid defence ,I'm sorry. We've all got targets
Ignorantia juris non excusat - I wonder how many realise that its true.

Ignorance of a law or a legal process is in of itself not a recognised defence.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by taurus88 »

BELIAL wrote:Not a valid defence ,I'm sorry. We've all got targets
I have nothing to answer for, I've broken no rule or regulation in the past two months, and before that I broke no rule that everyone else in the office has not been breaking a hundred times over - with the managers not only condoning it by their silence, but positively encouraging it. Our office is a mess. I do the job as properly as I can every day which is the most any good postman can do. I don't care about anyone else, and if I encounter IB, they shall find my standards are exceedingly high and be sent on their merry way.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Mail figures drop...my arse!

Post by fishtank »

taurus88 wrote:
BELIAL wrote:Not a valid defence ,I'm sorry. We've all got targets
I have nothing to answer for, I've broken no rule or regulation in the past two months, and before that I broke no rule that everyone else in the office has not been breaking a hundred times over - with the managers not only condoning it by their silence, but positively encouraging it. Our office is a mess. I do the job as properly as I can every day which is the most any good postman can do. I don't care about anyone else, and if I encounter IB, they shall find my standards are exceedingly high and be sent on their merry way.

Not if you're delivering packets from the back of your car.
It will be you that's sent on your merry way and claiming that everyone else does it won't wash because your manager will obviously deny it and none of your colleagues will confess to breaching the security agreement either.
So.....your protestations of common practice will simply look like sour grapes.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share