ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

CWU Postal Executive

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Clappedoutpostie
Posts: 1264
Joined: 05 Nov 2021, 21:46
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by Clappedoutpostie »

Meeting Tuesday to discuss feedback from these strikes and the way forward. That’s what I was told today.
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by pinstripe »

postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 05:21
The clue is in the name with this job part time.so you shouldn't be doing this job if it's your only source of income.And I'm afraid any part time worker hoping for full time would be better looking for a full time job in another company because you won't get one with Royal Mail.
Thank you for your helpful contribution. I’ve been with RM for over 20 years. Due to personal circumstances I’ve been part time since I joined. It is only now that I, like many other part timers, am struggling from week to week. Your advice that I should throw away over 20 years of service and the benefits I have earned from it, and just find another job is appreciated and is indicative of quite a few posters on here. You would quite happily see half of your colleagues have no option to either leave or break the strike. At least we know that we can count on our full time work mates to fight our corner.

Incidentally, your comment that part timers shouldn’t be doing this job if it’s their only source of income is absolutely ludicrous.
tinkerdil
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 81
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 18:16
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by tinkerdil »

Not everyone does overtime. Therefore, is it fair to expect only some members to participate in IA and others not? I think not so I’m against an overtime ban. Oh, I don’t do any overtime.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by Woody Guthrie »

As a rep how do I challenge someone who is working overtime during an overtime ban?

If it's extended delivery wouldn't I just sound like a f***ing manager?

How do I know someone is working overtime without looking at their pay slip?

We probably have about a dozen different working patterns in my office part-time and full-time along with the same number of different start times, we have hybrid delivery/collection duties and LATs and members contracted to Sundays.

The call for an overtime ban usually comes from full-time staff in small offices where it just might be workable... but as has been said before don't project your corner of the business onto the whole network.
Only dead fish follow the current
billycat
Posts: 140
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 20:40
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by billycat »

Agency staff on average deliver 1 york of parcels per 5 hour shift easy money absolutely laughing their socks off at the easy money they are earning,so today at our hub office they had 11 agency workers coming in at 2, manager was begging some of the overtime kings to deliver some of the large parcels they all stuck together 1 york of parcels for 5 hours was agreed they pointed out they were saving royal mail a lot of money no agency fees,4 people took him up on his offer roughly 20 parcels per york ,thank you very much as i pointed out to our manager we are lazy and slow,but a lot quicker than the agency workers.
Clappedoutpostie
Posts: 1264
Joined: 05 Nov 2021, 21:46
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by Clappedoutpostie »

billycat wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 16:59
Agency staff on average deliver 1 york of parcels per 5 hour shift easy money absolutely laughing their socks off at the easy money they are earning,so today at our hub office they had 11 agency workers coming in at 2, manager was begging some of the overtime kings to deliver some of the large parcels they all stuck together 1 york of parcels for 5 hours was agreed they pointed out they were saving royal mail a lot of money no agency fees,4 people took him up on his offer roughly 20 parcels per york ,thank you very much as i pointed out to our manager we are lazy and slow,but a lot quicker than the agency workers.
:nana
CamPostie
Posts: 178
Joined: 17 Jan 2022, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by CamPostie »

postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 05:21
The clue is in the name with this job part time.so you shouldn't be doing this job if it's your only source of income.And I'm afraid any part time worker hoping for full time would be better looking for a full time job in another company because you won't get one with Royal Mail.
That’s a bit unfair - RM were only giving out part time contracts to new starters for years, but I imagine most (me included) were reassured there’d be plenty of overtime if you wanted it to make it up to full time hours.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by postieblueshirt »

CamPostie wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 17:45
postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 05:21
The clue is in the name with this job part time.so you shouldn't be doing this job if it's your only source of income.And I'm afraid any part time worker hoping for full time would be better looking for a full time job in another company because you won't get one with Royal Mail.
That’s a bit unfair - RM were only giving out part time contracts to new starters for years, but I imagine most (me included) were reassured there’d be plenty of overtime if you wanted it to make it up to full time hours.
Yeah it may come across as unfair but if all I had at my age with a family to support was a part time job I'm sorry but I'd be looking for a different job.i couldn't live on a part time wage.suppose I was lucky I was 19 young free n single when I was part time.
CamPostie
Posts: 178
Joined: 17 Jan 2022, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by CamPostie »

[/quote]
Cannot understand how backlog is cleared my mc is absolutely rammed an i understand bristol mc is same so no doubt will be coming to your do on mon or tues maybe even wedensday..how is ft still getting there ft pay??
[/quote]

Having noticed an uptick in unhappy people over on Reddit where parcels are seemingly stuck in a void at a MC, it occurred to me that some of the Mail Centres might be struggling to push everything through even now.

That’s not to say it hasn’t been manic in our delivery office with plenty of walks behind now - but I take it there’s still going to be waves of heavy days to come even next week.
TopperGas
Posts: 3523
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by TopperGas »

postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 05:21
The clue is in the name with this job part time.so you shouldn't be doing this job if it's your only source of income.And I'm afraid any part time worker hoping for full time would be better looking for a full time job in another company because you won't get one with Royal Mail.
I've managed to do it for a couple of years already working over 35 hours per week each year, i couldn't careless if i get a full time contract or not it if I work 35+ hours every week, should it get to the stage where I'm not then I'll have to look for another job, although I've no idea what's this has got to do with taking IA.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by postieblueshirt »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 18:03
postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 05:21
The clue is in the name with this job part time.so you shouldn't be doing this job if it's your only source of income.And I'm afraid any part time worker hoping for full time would be better looking for a full time job in another company because you won't get one with Royal Mail.
I've managed to do it for a couple of years already working over 35 hours per week each year, i couldn't careless if i get a full time contract or not it if I work 35+ hours every week, should it get to the stage where I'm not then I'll have to look for another job, although I've no idea what's this has got to do with taking IA.
There's not much separates full time and part time anymore and I wouldn't be surprised if were all on the same contracts soon enough.Im not down on part timers I think it's terrible how RM treat them these days.all I'm saying is if I were on a basic pt contract I couldnt survive I'd need to be doing deliveroo on the side to make ends meet.
world class male
Posts: 906
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by world class male »

pinstripe wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 15:44
postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 05:21
The clue is in the name with this job part time.so you shouldn't be doing this job if it's your only source of income.And I'm afraid any part time worker hoping for full time would be better looking for a full time job in another company because you won't get one with Royal Mail.
Thank you for your helpful contribution. I’ve been with RM for over 20 years. Due to personal circumstances I’ve been part time since I joined. It is only now that I, like many other part timers, am struggling from week to week. Your advice that I should throw away over 20 years of service and the benefits I have earned from it, and just find another job is appreciated and is indicative of quite a few posters on here. You would quite happily see half of your colleagues have no option to either leave or break the strike. At least we know that we can count on our full time work mates to fight our corner.

Incidentally, your comment that part timers shouldn’t be doing this job if it’s their only source of income is absolutely ludicrous.
sorry but i disagree with that, it's fairy obviously that even after 20+ years service then a ft deal would have been available to you at some point,
if you took the job on and can live on a pt income a ft worker who has cut their cloth accordingly loses more cash but remains the same to their budget, sounds to me you want the extra when it suits you without committing,
play the percentages and we all lose exactly the same pt or ft during a strike day
we have a constant argument that all pt can work overtime but those full time doing exactly the same are getting grief!
honestly the cwu hq are a complete joke now causing fighting within, but they are too busy on social media and not reading the members comments,
lets get one thing straight, on strike days we all lose a days pay that we need to live on, you budget for 7hrs but i budget for 8hrs in basic pay,
obviously with the current climate we all want more pay but if you rely on overtime to live then you are in the wrong job, it's that simple,
only pt get early overtime at ours, ft get nothing zero zilch so therefore they are on quite a lot more than their original pt budget than us ft who refuse to work "over" but cannot work early ips
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by pinstripe »

world class male wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 20:40
pinstripe wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 15:44
postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 05:21
The clue is in the name with this job part time.so you shouldn't be doing this job if it's your only source of income.And I'm afraid any part time worker hoping for full time would be better looking for a full time job in another company because you won't get one with Royal Mail.
Thank you for your helpful contribution. I’ve been with RM for over 20 years. Due to personal circumstances I’ve been part time since I joined. It is only now that I, like many other part timers, am struggling from week to week. Your advice that I should throw away over 20 years of service and the benefits I have earned from it, and just find another job is appreciated and is indicative of quite a few posters on here. You would quite happily see half of your colleagues have no option to either leave or break the strike. At least we know that we can count on our full time work mates to fight our corner.

Incidentally, your comment that part timers shouldn’t be doing this job if it’s their only source of income is absolutely ludicrous.
sorry but i disagree with that, it's fairy obviously that even after 20+ years service then a ft deal would have been available to you at some point,
if you took the job on and can live on a pt income a ft worker who has cut their cloth accordingly loses more cash but remains the same to their budget, sounds to me you want the extra when it suits you without committing,
play the percentages and we all lose exactly the same pt or ft during a strike day
we have a constant argument that all pt can work overtime but those full time doing exactly the same are getting grief!
honestly the cwu hq are a complete joke now causing fighting within, but they are too busy on social media and not reading the members comments,
lets get one thing straight, on strike days we all lose a days pay that we need to live on, you budget for 7hrs but i budget for 8hrs in basic pay,
obviously with the current climate we all want more pay but if you rely on overtime to live then you are in the wrong job, it's that simple,
only pt get early overtime at ours, ft get nothing zero zilch so therefore they are on quite a lot more than their original pt budget than us ft who refuse to work "over" but cannot work early ips
Rubbish.
Firstly, what part of ‘due to personal circumstances I’ve been part time since I joined’ do you not understand?
Secondly, your “your in the wrong job” comment is exactly what is causing the infighting you accuse the CWU off.
Thirdly, so much for solidarity. You can afford to strike indefinitely, sod the rest right.

Finally, I’m done with you.
world class male
Posts: 906
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by world class male »

pinstripe wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 21:22
world class male wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 20:40
pinstripe wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 15:44
postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 05:21
The clue is in the name with this job part time.so you shouldn't be doing this job if it's your only source of income.And I'm afraid any part time worker hoping for full time would be better looking for a full time job in another company because you won't get one with Royal Mail.
Thank you for your helpful contribution. I’ve been with RM for over 20 years. Due to personal circumstances I’ve been part time since I joined. It is only now that I, like many other part timers, am struggling from week to week. Your advice that I should throw away over 20 years of service and the benefits I have earned from it, and just find another job is appreciated and is indicative of quite a few posters on here. You would quite happily see half of your colleagues have no option to either leave or break the strike. At least we know that we can count on our full time work mates to fight our corner.

Incidentally, your comment that part timers shouldn’t be doing this job if it’s their only source of income is absolutely ludicrous.
sorry but i disagree with that, it's fairy obviously that even after 20+ years service then a ft deal would have been available to you at some point,
if you took the job on and can live on a pt income a ft worker who has cut their cloth accordingly loses more cash but remains the same to their budget, sounds to me you want the extra when it suits you without committing,
play the percentages and we all lose exactly the same pt or ft during a strike day
we have a constant argument that all pt can work overtime but those full time doing exactly the same are getting grief!
honestly the cwu hq are a complete joke now causing fighting within, but they are too busy on social media and not reading the members comments,
lets get one thing straight, on strike days we all lose a days pay that we need to live on, you budget for 7hrs but i budget for 8hrs in basic pay,
obviously with the current climate we all want more pay but if you rely on overtime to live then you are in the wrong job, it's that simple,
only pt get early overtime at ours, ft get nothing zero zilch so therefore they are on quite a lot more than their original pt budget than us ft who refuse to work "over" but cannot work early ips
Rubbish.
Firstly, what part of ‘due to personal circumstances I’ve been part time since I joined’ do you not understand?
Secondly, your “your in the wrong job” comment is exactly what is causing the infighting you accuse the CWU off.
Thirdly, so much for solidarity. You can afford to strike indefinitely, sod the rest right.

Finally, I’m done with you.
on a strike day you lose 60ish i lose 70ish! is it that hard to understand?
is it fair that PART TIME staff that signed up for a PART TIME JOB knowing they cannot live on that wage but can maybe get an extra 7 hours OVERTIME without being chastised no matter if industrial action is takin place but any full time worker getting 7 hours gets grief!
if you can justify that then i'll quit this union and this forum
you must live on your contracted hours. END OF
if you struggle with that then most will struggle too despite contracted hours they have budgeted for,
you simply cannot grasp the percentage loss, without overtime we all lose EXACTLY the same!
i need exactly the same % in wages i'm contracted to wage than yourself, we signed up for it!
those that are doing overtime right now are making a mockery of the dispute earning more,
don't have a pop at me, blame the cwu for not adding it to the ballot paper
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: CWU Postal Executive

Post by pinstripe »

WCM, I am contracted for 3 days a week. I obviously earn less than you, but I’m quite sure my rent and bills will be about the same as yours. To lose one third of my (4/7th of a full time) income has a more significant affect on me, than you losing one fifth of yours. Use your ‘percentage loss’ and work who loses more.

Your comments imply that you think the extra pressures felt by part timers are both irrelevant and self inflicted. It’s their fault for being second class employees and get what they deserve. Fair enough, I'm sure that your part time colleagues will stand shoulder to shoulder with you in future conflicts to preserve your terms and conditions.

Oh, and where have I chastised any full timer for doing overtime?