ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by Tman »

Why do so many aspire to go into IT when they could do something like a plumbing or electrics course and earn proper money while there's a skills shortage?
Is it because that type of course is viewed as being "too hard" to learn and pass?
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by nightcrawler »

Great idea for a thread!
I’m nearly 51, done 30+ years in RM, and have wanted to leave for some time now. I’m fed-up with the workloads, how RM don’t give a s**t about you, the daily politics, back-stabbing, and just generally a toxic environment. I don’t know what to do next though. Keep thinking about something in retail, but several other posties I’ve spoken to (mostly young ones) tell me NO, retail is terrible. A job with the local council is a possibility I’m considering. I don’t even mind taking a pay-cut or even going part-time, as long as it’s something that doesn’t wreck my mental health like this job has. Like others have said, I thought this was a “job for life”, but realise now that’s no longer the case.
j1mmyc
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 19:09
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by j1mmyc »

Got lucky getting on the royal mail hgv course which I was about to pay for out my own money, been at rm for 18 years, have to do 2 years of mgv driving then might leave if its shocking hours, but also gonna do my class 1 in the next 6months, anyone that can get out get out this ship is sinking, I have had some nice easy money out of the job for the first 10years and been able to forge a half decent life of the back of it but now it's to much hard work
Canyouclosethegate
Posts: 11
Joined: 09 Jun 2021, 21:22
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by Canyouclosethegate »

Tman wrote: ↑
12 Jul 2022, 08:41
Why do so many aspire to go into IT when they could do something like a plumbing or electrics course and earn proper money while there's a skills shortage?
Is it because that type of course is viewed as being "too hard" to learn and pass?
As someone trying to go into IT, I've chosen this particular path because I feel I will always been stable and I can move around from company to company, most of them have similar set ups in terms of computer security and it's for this reason I could choose to work for either a supermarket, the NHS or even the government. Anybody familiar with these set ups can have an easier time going from one company to the next. You really could work for a school, a doctor's surgery, a taxi company, a restaurant - literally anyone who has a set up of computers with personal data and needs that data to be secure. Of course, their set ups are not identical but have similar foundations.

I remember 10 years ago some of my family went into IT and honestly, it isn't one of those fads that will blow over and eventually there'll be too many staff for jobs.

Maybe in the future but right now, the market is booming. Newcomers, old-timers, experienced vets etc. There is a job for most people with some degree of experience in IT. The only thing that differs are the pay and, by extension, the responsibilities.

I have considered industries like plumbing or electrician work but for one, I'm not that good with my hands. I struggle with certain aspects of this work - I was forced to learn it through my childhood but I'm considered average. Computers for me have always clicked and I just grasp the material a bit easier than I do math, science, plumbing, woodworking etc. Obviously there are maths involved in computers but I feel that's easier to tackle.

I'm nowhere near where I want to be, I left RM only last October and now I'm a bus driver. And next year, I do hope I'm in an IT role but that's dependent on me obtaining my certifications and passing the exams I need to.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Canyouclosethegate wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 19:46
I'm nowhere near where I want to be, I left RM only last October and now I'm a bus driver. And next year, I do hope I'm in an IT role but that's dependent on me obtaining my certifications and passing the exams I need to.
Good luck with your future career. :thumbup Just remember most IT problems can be solved by: Switch Off... Switch On Again...... Works evertime with my PDA (just means I have to sit there for 5 mins while it does it .... Time Wasting? Balls in your court RM. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Mick100
Posts: 275
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 10:00
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by Mick100 »

A lot of unskilled jobs out there moneys not quite as good,but the toll this job takes on you body and mental health taking a small pay cut would be worth it.many long timers at our place have gone in the past few years and many more are going this year, not down to retirement they've just had enough a lot take the 55 pension and get part time job
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by nightcrawler »

Anyone here ever worked/knows someone who works as a hospital porter? This is one option out of several I’m considering if I leave (increasingly likely) Royal Mail. Is the job stressful? I know the pay is not as good as a Postie, but am willing to take a pay cut for my mental health.
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by WASD »

Whilst we have the issue of cost of living right now making job changes a lot of commitment, now is a great time to make the move still. There's a shortage of workers in many jobs, and with many being scared of changing right now, those who are willing to take the gamble will possibly come out on top.

As mentioned, getting some trades skills is the best thing anyone can do right now imo
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by iHateD2Ds »

nightcrawler wrote: ↑
28 Jul 2022, 17:07
Anyone here ever worked/knows someone who works as a hospital porter? This is one option out of several I’m considering if I leave (increasingly likely) Royal Mail. Is the job stressful? I know the pay is not as good as a Postie, but am willing to take a pay cut for my mental health.
I know people who work as a NHS porter and domestics, Weekend pay is quite generous x1.5 for Saturday and double time Sunday with plenty of overtime available.
Bad points,Covid is rife.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by aiden01 »

iHateD2Ds wrote: ↑
29 Jul 2022, 21:43
nightcrawler wrote: ↑
28 Jul 2022, 17:07
Anyone here ever worked/knows someone who works as a hospital porter? This is one option out of several I’m considering if I leave (increasingly likely) Royal Mail. Is the job stressful? I know the pay is not as good as a Postie, but am willing to take a pay cut for my mental health.
I know people who work as a NHS porter and domestics, Weekend pay is quite generous x1.5 for Saturday and double time Sunday with plenty of overtime available.
Bad points,Covid is rife.
Avoid then.
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by Zicomurphy »

There are certainly options out there for people who want a change. I’ve heard BA advertising on the radio for baggage handlers recently so checked out their recruitment website. £1000 signing on bonus and a salary of £25500 per annum and a range of other benefits including access to discounted tickets on BA flights. Based on what they require ex postman might be quite appealing to them as well (physically fit, able to work in all weathers, able to work as an individual or part of a team) The only real downside I could see was the shifts cover 24 hours a day 365 days a year and not everyone can be that flexible.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by yellowbelly »

Zicomurphy wrote: ↑
30 Jul 2022, 01:38
There are certainly options out there for people who want a change. I’ve heard BA advertising on the radio for baggage handlers ......
There are in certain areas. As we cover the whole of the UK there are a lot of areas where posties live
and work in the middle of nowhere and there are literally no other reasonably paid jobs available locally unless you want
seasonal work in the fields. Baggage handling - I'd certainly jump at it but Heathrow is not on my doorstep LOL!
Exrep
Posts: 1005
Joined: 02 Oct 2009, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by Exrep »

27 years in me my advice take ill health retirement and run far far away from RM and dont look back
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by nightcrawler »

Exrep wrote: ↑
05 Aug 2022, 17:35
27 years in me my advice take ill health retirement and run far far away from RM and dont look back
Take “ill health retirement” but on what grounds? Believe me I’d love to go.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: What job have you left Royal Mail for?

Post by wacko74 »

aiden01 wrote: ↑
29 Jul 2022, 23:26
iHateD2Ds wrote: ↑
29 Jul 2022, 21:43
nightcrawler wrote: ↑
28 Jul 2022, 17:07
Anyone here ever worked/knows someone who works as a hospital porter? This is one option out of several I’m considering if I leave (increasingly likely) Royal Mail. Is the job stressful? I know the pay is not as good as a Postie, but am willing to take a pay cut for my mental health.
I know people who work as a NHS porter and domestics, Weekend pay is quite generous x1.5 for Saturday and double time Sunday with plenty of overtime available.
Bad points,Covid is rife.
Avoid then.
Why avoid?