ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Post by Dorset Plodder »

What a 1st Post! :shock:

We've recently had a WTLL session about this particular problem (Postbox Barcodes on Mobiles) so it's obviously something that RM's looking into throughout the Business. What surprised me was it was mentioned that, "We are aware that several people are doing this and they've been spoken to" :shock:

Nobody was sacked, so I can only assume they were members of "The Chosen Few". :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
smok3y666
Posts: 754
Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
Gender: Male

Re: Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Post by smok3y666 »

aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2022, 22:29
smok3y666 wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2022, 10:45
I was told by a manager once about scanning the barcodes on post boxes early, it was no issue but was told earliest they can be emptied is 9am. I was also told when I mentioned about having pics of barcodes on my phone, again it was a non issue that this was heavily frowned upon.
And you place your trust in a manager more fool you.can assure you its a sackable offence.
Did I say anywhere it wasn't sackable? I did something wrong, manager corrected me and left it at that. And you trust your work colleagues?
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Post by Acca Dacca »

smok3y666 wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2022, 18:05
aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2022, 22:29
smok3y666 wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2022, 10:45
I was told by a manager once about scanning the barcodes on post boxes early, it was no issue but was told earliest they can be emptied is 9am. I was also told when I mentioned about having pics of barcodes on my phone, again it was a non issue that this was heavily frowned upon.
And you place your trust in a manager more fool you.can assure you its a sackable offence.
Did I say anywhere it wasn't sackable? I did something wrong, manager corrected me and left it at that. And you trust your work colleagues?
I think the wording is poor - it looks like you are saying it was not an issue that was heavily frowned upon
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Post by aiden01 »

smok3y666 wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2022, 18:05
aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2022, 22:29
smok3y666 wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2022, 10:45
I was told by a manager once about scanning the barcodes on post boxes early, it was no issue but was told earliest they can be emptied is 9am. I was also told when I mentioned about having pics of barcodes on my phone, again it was a non issue that this was heavily frowned upon.
And you place your trust in a manager more fool you.can assure you its a sackable offence.
Did I say anywhere it wasn't sackable? I did something wrong, manager corrected me and left it at that. And you trust your work colleagues?
But you clearly say it was a non issue why if it clearly is. No not all of them why bring that up??
matthew68
Posts: 516
Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
Gender: Male

Re: Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Post by matthew68 »

Why do management make such a big deal about this, it’s about time they actually started checking people when they get back because a number of guys at our place regularly brings back 15-20 items of mail or packets a day and yet go home early and are never pulled up on it, we fail rounds yet let some people go home 1-2 hours before there finish time I would have thought that would be more important to stop despite knowing about it The double standards of this company is unbelievable
Norfolk 'N' Chance
Posts: 231
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 18:15
Gender: Male
Location: In the Stix

Re: Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

norm wrote: ↑
25 Mar 2022, 17:50
What time was the box supposed to be emptied?

I don't know why people think they can out smart the system by scanning a photo of the barcode. The question is who told you to do this, have you been trained correctly?
Apologies for going off topic, but trained correctly struck a chord with me. Ive never been trained on any delivery rounds or collections and normally just get assigned stuff blind. The first time I ever did a collection route in the afternoon evening, I basically had a few photos of boxes, some postcodes and was given the keys. Needless to say I didnt complete the round on time as keys were a big issue as was finding some of the (rural boxes). At the first business I gets to, comes up on the PDA about PPI mail? no one has explained what it is or what to do - I have no clue and so just press anything to clear the screen, despite filling the van with loads of parcels. - Whilst the OP's situation might be different, in a lot of cases we are just set up to fail.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Post by steve1873 »

matthew68 wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2022, 21:12
Why do management make such a big deal about this, it’s about time they actually started checking people when they get back because a number of guys at our place regularly brings back 15-20 items of mail or packets a day and yet go home early and are never pulled up on it, we fail rounds yet let some people go home 1-2 hours before there finish time I would have thought that would be more important to stop despite knowing about it The double standards of this company is unbelievable
Whilst I don't doubt you have a valid point. It's an entirely seperate issue.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Post by SpacePhoenix »

steve1873 wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2022, 09:20
matthew68 wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2022, 21:12
Why do management make such a big deal about this, it’s about time they actually started checking people when they get back because a number of guys at our place regularly brings back 15-20 items of mail or packets a day and yet go home early and are never pulled up on it, we fail rounds yet let some people go home 1-2 hours before there finish time I would have thought that would be more important to stop despite knowing about it The double standards of this company is unbelievable
Whilst I don't doubt you have a valid point. It's an entirely seperate issue.
That should (in theory) end anyway when scan in/out gets brought in, in DOs
irishgerry
Posts: 17
Joined: 05 Nov 2021, 10:57
Gender: Male

Re: Gross misconduct and deduction of pay

Post by irishgerry »

Kenfandango wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2022, 14:54
Some of ours don't get scanned til the end of a round, never been a problem... As long as it's between 9am and the next 9am it seems to be fine. I've had to take a photo of one once and scan it later due to a pda malfunction, but I explained to the DOM when I got back (okay, I wrote a note explaining and left it for him as he was long gone when I returned.)
I thought it didn't matter how late they were collected, and generally just did them on my way back to the office, but last week I was still out on delivery at about 4pm and the DOM rang me wondering why I hadn't scanned them yet. She told me to go and do them right away, but that there was no rush back to the office with them as long as they were scanned. I've no idea why... Maybe she just thought I'd forgotten them.