ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sick of my stomach churning

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by toonshola »

biggiehud wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2021, 06:06
It’s not work what’s toxic it’s the tablets from the quack
Have you read the side affects mate there’s you problem
Right there
What a stupid unhelpful reply. Antidepressants have shown to help in many cases of depression and telling someone who needs them to stop taking them is one of the most irresponsible bits of advice a person can give, especially if they are not a doctor.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by Jahpostie »

In my experience antidepressants are helpful to numb you at the beginning of an episode but you need to get off them after a few months. They suck all the energy out of you by the afternoon. That was my experience. I was on them for 9 months years ago, went cold turkey, no real issues and was a lot better for it. I'd never go on them again. Doctor's are too stretched or untrained these days to spend the time so they dish them out like sweets. Half the population are on them when they don't need to be, while big pharma make a fortune.
Haditup
Posts: 195
Joined: 27 Nov 2020, 07:08
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by Haditup »

If it’s work that is triggering the anxiety/depression or making you worse then definitely take time out.

First port of call Is contact your GP, they will discus your medication and different options and sign you off work

Some find exercise really benefits ,I know we plod the streets but you need to work the cardio vascular and get the heart rate pumping over 120bpm for 30mins.
Cycling is relatively low impact and good exercise to achieve the release of feel good endorphins.

The turmoil of depression/ anxiety is awful don’t go on silently suffering for another two years.
You deserve better than that.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by Jahpostie »

Yes good advice, find exercise that you enjoy. Do things you enjoy or used to enjoy. These are things a therapist or doctor will tell you - finding things that bring joy back. Some may laugh but try meditation as well. I used to quite enjoy it, although if you're really struggling I found it was impossible to concentrate. It seems to be something you need to get into and continue when you're not stressed to get the benefit when stress does hit!

Just please get signed off by a doctor and start from there..... All the best.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by wacko74 »

I quit in April similar issues... was taking so many painkillers for aching joints and muscles that it was causing me to have stomach problems which mainly occurred at night, meaning I was getting very little sleep which was then obviously effecting me mentally causing stress and exhaustion.

Getting out was the best thing I've ever done.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by Jahpostie »

wacko74 wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2021, 12:17

Getting out was the best thing I've ever done.
Me too and I haven't left yet!

Getting offered a new job was the best feeling I've had in a long long time.
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by grandypants »

Go for IHR I did 12 months ago, best move Ive ever done, works out at about just under a years wages and then you can claim ESA for the first 12 months Ive been in the job 20 years and I do not miss it at all, feel so much better physically and mentally just started applying for some part time work in supermarkets just to keep me busy a few days a week, believe me there is more to life than RM out there, good luck. :thumbup
janty
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by janty »

I for the last time have been signed off sick with severe depression. With work being delivery as the primary reason for my illness. I've been in the job 21 years and joined delivery about 18 years ago. Once in delivery I started to experience anxiety. Over time this slowly got worse morphing into depression/BDD. I went sick yearly statiing my work environment as the reason. Eventually I was always told things will change and went back to work. Things just got worse and more toxic. Small cliques in on the office fighting with each other back stabbing Making stupid noises when you walk past. You could cut the atmosphere with a knife. The worse thing is management know exactly what's going on. They simply look the other way. So things for me have come to a head. I'm now refusing to go back to the DO and want transfered to the local mail centre. I told them enough is enough. I've to meet my DOM today in a coffee shop so we'll see how that goes.
Last edited by janty on 20 Sep 2021, 09:52, edited 2 times in total.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by woody38 »

Good luck
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by Deadly »

janty wrote: ↑
20 Sep 2021, 09:13
Making stupid noises when you walk past.
There really are some thick idiots working in Royal Mail and I hate to say this but the vast majority seem to be in deliveries. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
janty
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by janty »

I agree. I worked with n a mail centre for 3/4 years before I joined delivery. I immediately noticed the difference in atmosphere and relationships between employees. Though I did enjoy the early finishes rather than the late shift I was doing in the mail centre. I wonder how different I would have felt today if Ide just stayed there.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by SpacePhoenix »

janty wrote: ↑
20 Sep 2021, 09:55
I agree. I worked with n a mail centre for 3/4 years before I joined delivery. I immediately noticed the difference in atmosphere and relationships between employees. Though I did enjoy the early finishes rather than the late shift I was doing in the mail centre. I wonder how different I would have felt today if Ide just stayed there.
MCs have changed quite a bit over the last few years. These days you see managers counting up every hour all the work available of each stream. They have to account for every hour they use. Probably years ago it was just a MC overall and shift budgets, these days individual work areas have got their own budgets.

Crashes have been replaced with powered conveyors for small normal and Tracked parcels (separate belts). Gradually more and more MCs are getting PSMs in. tbqf I don't know why RM bother keeping any of the FSMs as there's no where near enough flats to justify having any of them these days. A sizeable chunk of the boxes of flats that we get from other MCs are filled with packets

Anyone seen chatting away too much will be moved and you won't stay in one section all the time. Unless there's a medical reason (generally if someone has trouble standing up) then you can expect to be moved around to different work areas multiple times depending on which area has got the work at a given time. Mech trained staff can expect to be on the machines sometimes and SD locker trained staff can expect to be in the SD locker sometimes.
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by nightcrawler »

grandypants wrote: ↑
19 Sep 2021, 22:14
Go for IHR I did 12 months ago, best move Ive ever done, works out at about just under a years wages and then you can claim ESA for the first 12 months Ive been in the job 20 years and I do not miss it at all, feel so much better physically and mentally just started applying for some part time work in supermarkets just to keep me busy a few days a week, believe me there is more to life than RM out there, good luck. :thumbup
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what are IHR and ESA?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by aiden01 »

nightcrawler wrote: ↑
20 Sep 2021, 12:09
grandypants wrote: ↑
19 Sep 2021, 22:14
Go for IHR I did 12 months ago, best move Ive ever done, works out at about just under a years wages and then you can claim ESA for the first 12 months Ive been in the job 20 years and I do not miss it at all, feel so much better physically and mentally just started applying for some part time work in supermarkets just to keep me busy a few days a week, believe me there is more to life than RM out there, good luck. :thumbup
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what are IHR and ESA?
IHR = ill health retirement ESA = employment and support allowance.
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Re: Sick of my stomach churning

Post by nightcrawler »

aiden01 wrote: ↑
20 Sep 2021, 14:03
nightcrawler wrote: ↑
20 Sep 2021, 12:09
grandypants wrote: ↑
19 Sep 2021, 22:14
Go for IHR I did 12 months ago, best move Ive ever done, works out at about just under a years wages and then you can claim ESA for the first 12 months Ive been in the job 20 years and I do not miss it at all, feel so much better physically and mentally just started applying for some part time work in supermarkets just to keep me busy a few days a week, believe me there is more to life than RM out there, good luck. :thumbup
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what are IHR and ESA?
IHR = ill health retirement ESA = employment and support allowance.
Thanks 👍