ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hellish 2nd week

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ronaldinho0097
Posts: 46
Joined: 05 Aug 2021, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 11:56
yellowbelly wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 11:05


Excellent post from blinkboy, just to expand on what blinky means about 'not turned for stuff' if you don't know, he means when you're at the
frame sorting your parcels, turn the letter round back to front for the address that has the parcel or keep it
with address showing and write on the letter in the corner a small 'P' so you'll realise you've got a parcel for that address.
If you've not got a letter some posties will put a 739 in the address slot with just the house number on it (or even blank),
but just don't stick the 739 through a letterbox by mistake!

Some will say either of the above are not 'correct procedure' but it's whatever helps you out as you've
been dumped on big style by the sounds of it.
I agree Excellent Advice from Blinkboy. :thumbup

Turning the Letter for a Parcel is one idea... I always used to get stressed as a Newbie rushing around, simply turning the Letter back around and Posting it (without the parcel)! :d'oh!

I've used the 739 Trick which has the advantage of making sure you've got a 739 to fill in ... again as a Newbie I've run out in the past! :d'oh! :d'oh!

Nowadays, with all the tracked, I've started using those Brightly Coloured Cards that come with the Yorkes/Cages in the morning. Once I've thrown off I can look at the frame spot all the Cards and see where I know I've got to go (for Tracked) and spot perhaps a small road, or close that I could "Stream" if I'm pushed for time. In your case you're going to be doing a lot of that by the sounds of it! :sad:

Perhaps part of that conversation that you've got to have with your DOM is, "Look I can make sure I'll get all the Priority stuff delivered, but there's no way I'm going to deliver everything within my time"! Then just concentrate on the priorites , with perhaps a small loop around them.
Most DOMs will usually want you to take everything with you (just because it makes them look good if they have a surprise visit) but don't put yourself under any more pressure. Tell him you'll be brining it back when your time's up. :thumbup

When you bundle up make some note of those bundles you know you'll be bringing back, and when you get to them put them in a seperate tray. It all saves time :cuppa
Thanks for the good advice, I'll be trying this tomorrow!
world class male
Posts: 906
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by world class male »

re the turning of letters, i always turn if for that address or write "p + number" on a letter before,
some who prep my walk will turn anything nearby and you can end up walking 50 yards further by the time you notice,
nobody can prep our 2 duties faster & better than me but because i was stupid enough to learn ips i very rarely get to do it
honestly, i've seen some plainly refuse to do any other indoor work because they simply do not want to learn, "i don't know ips, i don't know how to scan tracked in, i don't know how to put the sequenced mail in those frames, i don't know how to rack yorks up"
then they are left to prep 1 duty rather than most others having to prep 2 :arrrghhh
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Why don't DOMs ensure that the IPS is done before anyone is allowed to start prepping any walks?
world class male
Posts: 906
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by world class male »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 15:56
Why don't DOMs ensure that the IPS is done before anyone is allowed to start prepping any walks?
all paired duties have 1 prepping 2 walks at all times (usually) but if both from the pairing or 1 prepping a single don't know any other skill and moan a lot, they usually get left alone
rest do regular indoor work, i.e anything to help the rest get out but not to prep their walk until everything sorted
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by Dorset Plodder »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 15:56
Why don't DOMs ensure that the IPS is done before anyone is allowed to start prepping any walks?
Used to work that way in the "Old Days" SP. A much better way of working, nobody went onto their frames until everything was sorted, and that was all Manual Sorting! :shock:

Due to different contacts nowadays Pters will often come in several hours later than their FT van share partners. The idea is that the FT Postie preps both duties, normally on adjacent frames. Those Extra Hours Prepping are the difference between the PT & FT contracts ... in theory. :hmmmm

Single van Drivers are usually the ones that do the IPS and packets, although there's no hard & fast rules. In my DO more Indoor Prep is used to "Bulk Out" the Duties that really don't have enough Outdoor work to keep them out until their Official finishing time. Hence the constant "Battle of The Moaners" who try and get back to their Frames, and prep their own duties, so they can fly out the door earlier than everyone else. It takes a strong DOM to keep a grip of these Flyers. Everytime one of these Dickheads says, "I'm doing more IPS than him, it's not fair" :Boo hoo! The rest of us have to remind him, The Reason you've got more Indoor Work is because you've got Bugger All Outdoor Work. But it's hard getting through to these idiots. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by TopperGas »

Dexydog wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 10:24
Why would you walk across someone's garden, and risk the wrath of an angry customer, just so you can deliver even more mail??
Do the duty properly ffs, cut off, bring mail back.
It's advice like this that has got us to this place.
If you're just walking across somebody's lawn in the middle of summer are they really going to complain, unless it's clearly their pride and joy. I've only had one customer moan this summer and I just make sure I don't know walk her lawn.

It's a case of survival not just doing the job to perfection as a newbie.
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by TopperGas »

If I'm using the grey met trays I just put the small packages in the frame/in the trays with the post leaving just the parcels to sort, depending on how many I've got I then either just sort them in the van in street/house no. or name order, or write them on a out on a card i.e South Street -1,10,17.

Turning letters over just seems time consuming as you then have to find for the correct package/parcel everytime you get to a turned over letter. Whilst trainers always tell you to use that process watching experienced posties in my DO they never use it themselves.

As far as a poster saying leave post your not going to deliver in the frame, I find 1) DM don't appreciate a postie leave post in frames as they like to see it all out for delivery 2) Until you're well into the route you've really no idea how much post you won't be able to deliver.
ronaldinho0097
Posts: 46
Joined: 05 Aug 2021, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 17:15
If I'm using the grey met trays I just put the small packages in the frame/in the trays with the post leaving just the parcels to sort, depending on how many I've got I then either just sort them in the van in street/house no. or name order, or write them on a out on a card i.e South Street -1,10,17.

Turning letters over just seems time consuming as you then have to find for the correct package/parcel everytime you get to a turned over letter. Whilst trainers always tell you to use that process watching experienced posties in my DO they never use it themselves.

As far as a poster saying leave post your not going to deliver in the frame, I find 1) DM don't appreciate a postie leave post in frames as they like to see it all out for delivery 2) Until you're well into the route you've really no idea how much post you won't be able to deliver.
Well then if you don't recommend leaving post in the frame how can you expect management to accommodate my working hours requests? What is the solution?
Blinkboy44
Posts: 48
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:49
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by Blinkboy44 »

ronaldinho0097 wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 12:31
Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 11:56
yellowbelly wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 11:05


Excellent post from blinkboy, just to expand on what blinky means about 'not turned for stuff' if you don't know, he means when you're at the
frame sorting your parcels, turn the letter round back to front for the address that has the parcel or keep it
with address showing and write on the letter in the corner a small 'P' so you'll realise you've got a parcel for that address.
If you've not got a letter some posties will put a 739 in the address slot with just the house number on it (or even blank),
but just don't stick the 739 through a letterbox by mistake!

Some will say either of the above are not 'correct procedure' but it's whatever helps you out as you've
been dumped on big style by the sounds of it.
I agree Excellent Advice from Blinkboy. :thumbup

Turning the Letter for a Parcel is one idea... I always used to get stressed as a Newbie rushing around, simply turning the Letter back around and Posting it (without the parcel)! :d'oh!

I've used the 739 Trick which has the advantage of making sure you've got a 739 to fill in ... again as a Newbie I've run out in the past! :d'oh! :d'oh!

Nowadays, with all the tracked, I've started using those Brightly Coloured Cards that come with the Yorkes/Cages in the morning. Once I've thrown off I can look at the frame spot all the Cards and see where I know I've got to go (for Tracked) and spot perhaps a small road, or close that I could "Stream" if I'm pushed for time. In your case you're going to be doing a lot of that by the sounds of it! :sad:

Perhaps part of that conversation that you've got to have with your DOM is, "Look I can make sure I'll get all the Priority stuff delivered, but there's no way I'm going to deliver everything within my time"! Then just concentrate on the priorites , with perhaps a small loop around them.
Most DOMs will usually want you to take everything with you (just because it makes them look good if they have a surprise visit) but don't put yourself under any more pressure. Tell him you'll be brining it back when your time's up. :thumbup

When you bundle up make some note of those bundles you know you'll be bringing back, and when you get to them put them in a seperate tray. It all saves time :cuppa
Thanks for the good advice, I'll be trying this tomorrow!
No problem, happy to pass over any advice. To be completely honest, I more said ‘turned for’ as a phrase for all the parcels being marked for. Although I know plenty of people in my office that do it this way, I personally write a P on the front of the letter, as that way no confusion of whether or not you have a parcel, and you can’t miss it if it’s written near the address. But whatever works for you.

It’s strange how all offices are different. But makes sense he wants the office to look clear even if it’s not. I prefer to cut off the official way, as your not basing part of your work load around what you won’t be doing, it’s better to just aim to get it right indoors, and just have the conversation with management then and there. Bringing mail back just creates more work and also wasted the time you spent tying it up. I know it’s a pain having the conversation, but the more you do it the more management expect that you won’t complete, and it’s the only way they can be prompted to do something about it and make the walk shorter.

Also marking up the tracked with those cards. I bet it’s hard finding enough cards! The easiest thing to do is just turn for or mark up all tracked, even if it could slot through. That way if your pushed for time, you would just need to check the bags and anything that must be delivered on the day can be found straight away :thumbup
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by POSTMAN »

And also although long, see our new starters thread...
ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by TopperGas »

ronaldinho0097 wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 17:22
TopperGas wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 17:15
If I'm using the grey met trays I just put the small packages in the frame/in the trays with the post leaving just the parcels to sort, depending on how many I've got I then either just sort them in the van in street/house no. or name order, or write them on a out on a card i.e South Street -1,10,17.

Turning letters over just seems time consuming as you then have to find for the correct package/parcel everytime you get to a turned over letter. Whilst trainers always tell you to use that process watching experienced posties in my DO they never use it themselves.

As far as a poster saying leave post your not going to deliver in the frame, I find 1) DM don't appreciate a postie leave post in frames as they like to see it all out for delivery 2) Until you're well into the route you've really no idea how much post you won't be able to deliver.
Well then if you don't recommend leaving post in the frame how can you expect management to accommodate my working hours requests? What is the solution?
Tell them each day what you've got to bring back, leaving post in the frame and so making no attempts to deliver could be seen as wilful delay, which wouldn't be the case with mail you simply ran out of time to deliver.
Peejay8T8
Posts: 32
Joined: 13 Mar 2020, 06:27
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by Peejay8T8 »

The sad truth is that you HAVE to have a discussion/argument every day with the p***-taking Managers. I'm quiet and don't like confrontation so tried everything to avoid it but it's unavoidable. They'll argue the toss and be obtuse because they want a clear frame at any cost. Stick to your guns, tell them you're new and only finishing around 6pm but you only want to work to your time. They'll explain the cut off procedure (whether that's bringing mail back, taking knock ons out of your bags, or bringing back non-tracked, oversized packets). It's imperative that you set your boundaries with them now or risk being squashed in to the ground by how much they'll lean on you. Remember to ALWAYS have a discussion before leaving the office or it is classed as wilful delay if you bring stuff back without the discussion. Depending on how good your rep is, get in with the Union, they're presence is usually enough to keep the managers at bay. Good luck. It does get easier, you get better rounds etc
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by WASD »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 17:01
Dexydog wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 10:24
Why would you walk across someone's garden, and risk the wrath of an angry customer, just so you can deliver even more mail??
Do the duty properly ffs, cut off, bring mail back.
It's advice like this that has got us to this place.
If you're just walking across somebody's lawn in the middle of summer are they really going to complain, unless it's clearly their pride and joy. I've only had one customer moan this summer and I just make sure I don't know walk her lawn.

It's a case of survival not just doing the job to perfection as a newbie.
There's a guy on one round i do occasionally, he almost shouts at the postie. The funny thing is, he says "go across the grass, it's only bloody grass", like he's ordering us to do it. :chuckle

He does offer an ice lolly and is good for a chat occasionally too.
ronaldinho0097
Posts: 46
Joined: 05 Aug 2021, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

WASD wrote: ↑
31 Aug 2021, 19:16
TopperGas wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 17:01
Dexydog wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 10:24
Why would you walk across someone's garden, and risk the wrath of an angry customer, just so you can deliver even more mail??
Do the duty properly ffs, cut off, bring mail back.
It's advice like this that has got us to this place.
If you're just walking across somebody's lawn in the middle of summer are they really going to complain, unless it's clearly their pride and joy. I've only had one customer moan this summer and I just make sure I don't know walk her lawn.

It's a case of survival not just doing the job to perfection as a newbie.
There's a guy on one round i do occasionally, he almost shouts at the postie. The funny thing is, he says "go across the grass, it's only bloody grass", like he's ordering us to do it. :chuckle

He does offer an ice lolly and is good for a chat occasionally too.
What a legend!

From now on I'm going to tell my post lady to walk across our grass if she feels like it, no harm done. She always makes an effort to avoid it lol.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Hellish 2nd week

Post by Dorset Plodder »

WASD wrote: ↑
31 Aug 2021, 19:16


There's a guy on one round i do occasionally, he almost shouts at the postie. The funny thing is, he says "go across the grass, it's only bloody grass", like he's ordering us to do it. :chuckle
Years ago I cut across a guys grass one frosty morning . The next day he collared me and pointed out a set of my foot prints across his pride and joy. :sad:

He was pretty good about it and explained that you can "Scorch" the grass in certain conditions. Well you learn something new every day. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)