ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Organising your van

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by rambo1 »

ted_e_bear wrote:
twoloops wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:Specials in a tray with a list in the cab.
Really specials upfront in the cab?
Think he missed a comma, it's just the list in the cab.
Jeez, missing a comma could get you sacked on this forum lol. Also point out specials don't need to be done til 4pm latest now, not 1pm. But definitely keep them separate and if you can, do them sooner rather than later even if it means going to the address twice.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by HTPostman »

All good advice (apart from the leaving parcels in the cab. Not worth the risk).

I’m a bit OCD when it comes to packet lists. I do a rough list and a tally if an address has more than one parcel - eg instead of writing x 2 parcels then crossing it out when I get another then writing x 3 parcels then crossing it out writing X 4 etc I just write X II, X III, X IIII. It’s so much easier than trying to decipher how many.

Before heading out I get a new piece of card and rewrite all the parcels in order. Specials are written in red. Some think I’m daft but when I’m out on delivery I never have to think what order the parcels need to be delivered in, cos I spent 5 minutes in the warm office doing it.

I always have a few sacks for slipped parcels. Specials stay in the tray. If there’s loads of parcels I create a divide using the bags in the middle of the van. All the parcels for the last half of the van go at the back behind the bag wall (where I can then sort them later).

Everyone is different but it works for me.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Iknockedtwice
Posts: 47
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 18:57
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by Iknockedtwice »

I would say a list is probably better than a marker in the frame as many times you’ll be driving past a house with an oversize on your way to your next start point and it’s annoying having to double back unnecessarily.
I missed one yesterday, annoyingly the biggest one in my van. :d'oh!
Fortunately I was heading back out to the same place later to do a collection so got rid of it then.
edward918
Posts: 40
Joined: 23 Feb 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by edward918 »

Personally, I prefer this method as I cover different walks each week:

Put bags at the back of the van in order 1 - 6, use the side door to load the oversized parcels in bag order (1 - 6).

How do I know which parcels are for what bag? I bring the oversized back into the office, go to the fitting and look for what bag a particular parcel is in and simply write the loop number on it. So then, I have for example 20 packets, all ranging with loops 1 - 6 on them. I then load them via the side door, in order. Same applies for Specials, check what loop it's on and write the number. I keep Specials in a separate box by the bags.

Seems a bit long-winded, but it works for me.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by Murdoch »

I get so many parcels nowadays, getting them to fit in the van is all I can hope for in the morning...

Being organised went out the window months ago.

I don't even count my specials any longer, they just get thrown in the van with all the other s**t.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by postieblueshirt »

It's amazing the amount of different ways people do this job lol never seen anyone making lists before..
as4dp
Posts: 8
Joined: 24 Oct 2013, 15:20
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by as4dp »

Think we’ve all missed a packet/parcel at some time or other. Being rural it’s always a pain. And it’ll always be a Tracked item. Have my small packets in a box in footwell of van. Bigger items working from back door. Good luck
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by rambo1 »

Murdoch wrote:I get so many parcels nowadays, getting them to fit in the van is all I can hope for in the morning...

Being organised went out the window months ago.

I don't even count my specials any longer, they just get thrown in the van with all the other s**t.
Tempting to do, but I have to have my spcls all in one place so I'm not fretting about getting them done before 4pm .
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by grchpo »

rambo1 wrote:
Murdoch wrote:I get so many parcels nowadays, getting them to fit in the van is all I can hope for in the morning...

Being organised went out the window months ago.

I don't even count my specials any longer, they just get thrown in the van with all the other s**t.
Tempting to do, but I have to have my spcls all in one place so I'm not fretting about getting them done before 4pm .
Bloody hell, you still delivering at 4pm
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Organising your van

Post by FirstPost »

who cares?! the moment you go around a corner or need to break sharply they go everywhere anyway! :arrrghhh
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Organising your van

Post by mjd24 »

FirstPost wrote:who cares?! the moment you go around a corner or need to break sharply they go everywhere anyway! :arrrghhh
Not if theyre stacked right.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by postieblueshirt »

grchpo wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
Murdoch wrote:I get so many parcels nowadays, getting them to fit in the van is all I can hope for in the morning...

Being organised went out the window months ago.

I don't even count my specials any longer, they just get thrown in the van with all the other s**t.
Tempting to do, but I have to have my spcls all in one place so I'm not fretting about getting them done before 4pm .
Bloody hell, you still delivering at 4pm
I thought that to I take it that's later starts..well I hope so..