ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by greengiant »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Seymour Buts wrote:

I agree with much of this. I despair at other posties who boast: "I don't get any rubbish through my door, I've gone paperless on everything." If people value the postal service, they need to use it.
I agree. People stopped keeping horses and now there are no blacksmiths.
People got gas fires and now there are so few chimney sweeps.
And what about the people who used to light the street lights? Or own the video shop? Or read the electricity meter?
If you really value something you need to use it or be prepared to lose it.

Oh hang on ....nobody gives a s**t about those jobs, just like nobody gives a s**t about the postal service.

And remember to ask your bank to badly handwrite your address on your mailed statements.
That might save a job as well.
I don't think theres much call for hand made axes made from stone either nowadays!
Intercityfirm1970
Posts: 39
Joined: 26 May 2019, 08:52
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Intercityfirm1970 »

I've served 35 years and I do from A to B use a trolley have my break go in one gear and get paid.. I'd never go that extra mile for this circus show why should I!!
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by 2yearpostie »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:ive got to clear 3 days post in humid conditions tomorrow, i might not be as helpful after ive done that.
Don’t forget your lapsing.
I didnt, completed it all.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by eastie »

2yearpostie wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:ive got to clear 3 days post in humid conditions tomorrow, i might not be as helpful after ive done that.
Don’t forget your lapsing.
I didnt, completed it all.
more fool you then
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by 2yearpostie »

eastie wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:ive got to clear 3 days post in humid conditions tomorrow, i might not be as helpful after ive done that.
Don’t forget your lapsing.
I didnt, completed it all.
more fool you then
for getting customers mail to them? isnt that what were paid to do?
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Woody Guthrie »

for getting customers mail to them? isnt that what were paid to do?
Royal Mail gets paid to get customers mail to them.
We dont carry that level of responsibility, we just get paid to work X amount of hours. Whether you deliver it or not it's still Royal Mail's responsibility.

If you really want that level of responsibility you should probably set up a rival delivery company.
Only dead fish follow the current
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by 2yearpostie »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
for getting customers mail to them? isnt that what were paid to do?
Royal Mail gets paid to get customers mail to them.
We dont carry that level of responsibility, we just get paid to work X amount of hours. Whether you deliver it or not it's still Royal Mail's responsibility.

If you really want that level of responsibility you should probably set up a rival delivery company.
Exactly i worked my contacted hours and got my lapsing done, why am i foolish for doing my job to the best of my ability?
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by robbertwhitton »

There’s no real incentive to go the extra mile for this company,after 38 years am happy to be out delivering to my customers on my same rural round,and be part of there rural life engaging with them on what’s happening in the village,who’s poorly,who’s sadly passed away etc,all the things we tend to do that management have no idea,unless there’s a story that they want to be part of for some fake caring publicity,we haven’t the time or enthusiasm to go the extra mile anymore.the picture postcard idilic way of working has nearly all but gone,greed and point scoring from mr big managers is the new norm,so going the extra mile is all well and good,but should it go wrong and backfire on you.....well you know the rest.
teesdale
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 430
Joined: 24 Nov 2007, 16:31

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by teesdale »

Strange thing is that with as directed, as it is now, rather than duties with responsibilities, as in the past, they dont want you to go the extra mile. In mail centres only the manager is important. Postman are anonymous. Excluding 90% of your workforce has been a big disadvantage to the company but a great advantage to me.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Navalron »

Sir Henry wrote:Nah, f**k 'em. I work my hours then go home and forget about it. Counting down the days....
I

:Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
Captain Scarlet
Posts: 322
Joined: 02 Jul 2007, 15:23
Location: Fifer

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Captain Scarlet »

Feel for my customers isolating and elderly so I tend to go the extra,however when I am under a certain manager his attitude totally drains me of any good will. He is one of those who couldn't do the job and became a manager and not a good one at that.
Ciderboy1957
Posts: 221
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:46
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Ciderboy1957 »

F off
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Interested-seeker »

My morale is down. I do the job because I need to pay the bills and there is nothing else I would want to do.

After working through this pandemic with asthma and getting appreciation from some customers, it is a kick in the teeth that 20,000 of us may lose our jobs next year. I am not doing more than my hours now. Also, just fed up with nasty bullies in the office getting away with bad behaviour....
HA1
Posts: 75
Joined: 28 Mar 2020, 16:15
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by HA1 »

The job has enabled me to bring 2 kids up and pay off my mortgage.

Pensions are still good so I do go the extra mile as there is nothing else out there.

Every job has issues but you need to see through them and see the positives which there are many.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Acca Dacca »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
for getting customers mail to them? isnt that what were paid to do?
Royal Mail gets paid to get customers mail to them.
We dont carry that level of responsibility, we just get paid to work X amount of hours. Whether you deliver it or not it's still Royal Mail's responsibility.

If you really want that level of responsibility you should probably set up a rival delivery company.
Actually, the people we deliver to arent even our customers. Our customers are who sends the mail not receives.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next