Munchboii wrote:I'm just praying it doesn't involve job losses any changes that come. I'm right at the bottom of seniority and only in my 20s and I love this job to bits. I'd be devastated if I got told I was losing my job to redundancy :(
I wouldn’t over worry . There will be thousands senior to you fighting to get out of the business if it comes.
Often repeated but rarely true.
I have seen two lots of VRs in the past 10 years.
In one office they had to get to someone about 50 on the seniority list for the 10th VR and in a different office there were 2 unfilled VRs.
What tends to happen is people say they are definitely going, then they get the quote and either it isn't as much as they had hoped, or it isn't quite the right time, or they realise that money isn't going to last very long and there is nothing else for them and they stay.
With approx 3 million unemployed I don't think there will be a stampede.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
going by PDA actuals, and therefore making duties bigger has to lead to redundancies. Mark Baulch was at ours a couple of years ago, and was saying RMs plan was take 3 duties for example, and making them into 2. that would make one of the duties obsolete. if this is indeed their plan then that would be the obvious outcome. but as woody has pointed out, it would be in the company's interests to get rid of the older/senior staff. all the ones who have years in and are in poor shape for the job. the younger workforce is far more favourable to them.
Munchboii wrote:I'm just praying it doesn't involve job losses any changes that come. I'm right at the bottom of seniority and only in my 20s and I love this job to bits. I'd be devastated if I got told I was losing my job to redundancy :(
I wouldn’t over worry . There will be thousands senior to you fighting to get out of the business if it comes.
Often repeated but rarely true.
I have seen two lots of VRs in the past 10 years.
In one office they had to get to someone about 50 on the seniority list for the 10th VR and in a different office there were 2 unfilled VRs.
What tends to happen is people say they are definitely going, then they get the quote and either it isn't as much as they had hoped, or it isn't quite the right time, or they realise that money isn't going to last very long and there is nothing else for them and they stay.
With approx 3 million unemployed I don't think there will be a stampede.
Top four in the last round all went in my office and if your sixty , getting a pension , house paid. It would be very tempting.
Ren Hoëk wrote:Very quiet where we are. 3rd Monday in a row that its been like it. I made 2 hours on my duty as did most others as well. We lapsed as well and there was nothing left back at the office to do even if the boss wanted to give us more. Someone said in another thread that it has something do to with DSA customers not supplying us with anything for Mondays and only supplying it every other day. If that is true or not I do not know. We are in a traditionally quiet time of year and we are told mail volumes are naturally down as well. There must be some big changes coming. 5 day delivery on letters, 7 days for packets and parcels within a year with big office revisions and changes to attendance patterns. Especially considering their plans for the tracks/shoe box and bigger sized packets. Id put money on it.
My main worry is that decisions going forward are made on paper and based on offices that are coping in these times.
Due to staffing and logistics of 1 per van about 20% of our walks didn't even leave the office today. Only about 1/3 did and completed due to having 2x full time staff on them, the rest cleared about 60% of their paired duties as part time staff are arriving in and no one has prepped the duty, due to cuts.
glass joe wrote:Today it almost wasn't worth going out on my delivery. Last letter 11.30 back home at 12 and now being paid till 2.30. (Yes i took both my breaks) So what does this hold for the future? Is this laying the foundations to get rid of mondays letters in the future? Will our duties be redesigned so we take more out in the future?
will you still be able to claim the rest of the week if you need to?our boss won’t have any of it?you finished early the other day blah blah blah
glass joe wrote:Today it almost wasn't worth going out on my delivery. Last letter 11.30 back home at 12 and now being paid till 2.30. (Yes i took both my breaks) So what does this hold for the future? Is this laying the foundations to get rid of mondays letters in the future? Will our duties be redesigned so we take more out in the future?
will you still be able to claim the rest of the week if you need to?our boss won’t have any of it?you finished early the other day blah blah blah
yeah, it's not your fault there isn't more work for you to do
30+YEARMAN wrote:I still had all of Saturdays letters so it didn,t make that much difference.
And Friday's and Thursday's in certain streets.
f**k that for a game of posties. Cut off and finished on time.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Some rounds are still going out as park and loops (one following in his car) with the original duty holders, and they are cleared each day. So today will have been very light for them.
But you then have rounds which aren’t being cleared regularly, like the one I was on today which hasn’t gone (apart from tracked/Specials) since Wednesday.
It doesn’t help that Saturdays Mail wasn’t prepped for the round, so you had all Saturdays and Mondays to prep....again comes down to poor management, those going home an hour (or more) early on Saturday could quite easily have been told to prep at least Saturdays mech before leaving.
Anyway the days just roll into one for me.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
HTPostman wrote:It’s a real case of the have and have nots here.
Some rounds are still going out as park and loops (one following in his car) with the original duty holders, and they are cleared each day. So today will have been very light for them.
But you then have rounds which aren’t being cleared regularly, like the one I was on today which hasn’t gone (apart from tracked/Specials) since Wednesday.
It doesn’t help that Saturdays Mail wasn’t prepped for the round, so you had all Saturdays and Mondays to prep....again comes down to poor management, those going home an hour (or more) early on Saturday could quite easily have been told to prep at least Saturdays mech before leaving.
Anyway the days just roll into one for me.
Sounds identical to ours. It's easy to see that about 75% of our whole office resources are being splurged on about 50% of the duties. Same people on them every day, get to choose who covers their days off (as they know it will be cleared for their return) whilst other duties have people bouncing from one frame to the next and back again, some parts have 3/4 days of mail by the end of the week. I said this earlier - we actually have duties with 2 full time staff on them that are clearing walks A and B every day. Part time staff come in at 9am and have to do walk C one day (leave walk D) then walk D the next day (leaving C) and keep going, whilst doing all tracked/boxes/specials for both walks each day. You cant even do the whole of walk C on the first day as you need to allow time for doing the tracked/special/collection boxes on walk D, so you need to leave 2 loops in at the start of the week. You're never catching that up.