I trust this is a joke, either that or you really aren't the sharpest tool in the box.HA1 wrote:Lets all walk out and bankrupt the company
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
We should not be at work
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
Good post. Some people just don't get it. Maybe it'll come home to them in a few months when many and sometimes large companies start to call in the administrators. People just hammer on about how much Rico gets paid, which I agree is too much, however it's a drop in the ocean compared to our combined wages, which would need to be paid even if we stopped working. That's one hell of a cash burn daily ,if we are not taking any revenue. I would say in this day and age, the company wouldn't last long if we stopped working.clashcityrocker wrote:How long could any company afford to pay its workforce if it stopped trading?woody38 wrote: I have heard from top:managers if we don’t work the company won’t be able to pay us.
Anything that keeps the economy turning is essential to somebody, and ultimately to us.
A recession/depression isn't going to save anyone's job.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
Yeah I agree, it's not ideal, but do you go to the supermarket? Do you feel safer there? Think about it, 90% of posties if they had a slightest hint of a symptom, would be straight on the phone and not come in.Flashman_ wrote:The Gov. was happy to pay 80% pay to millions of other workers, to ensure their jobs remain, there is nothing essential about getting QVC crap sent to you. We should not be working, or only volunteers working to provide a skeleton service. Spain stopped postal services. Our offices simply cannot be made safe. Latest info clearly points to the virus spreading farther than first thought especially indoors. An infected person just speaking in the vicinity of others put them all at a very high risk of catching it.
In our office we still have a full office of staff,(notwithstanding people isolating or that have already walked) that are continually wandering around and talking and shouting. The heating is still on which gives a great stuffy atmosphere for the virus to travel around the office. They have staggered starts, single van working and attempted, but not policed 2m distancing. None of this will have any effect if anyone in the office has the virus because of what I said before.
It is simply not safe, and I am on the verge of walking out, at the moment I am relying on hope that no one in our office has it!
I SAT AGAIN WE SHOULD NOT BE WORKING.
-
sindba
- Posts: 1456
- Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
Far safer in a large supermarket than our deathtrap offices, more distancing.rambo1 wrote:Yeah I agree, it's not ideal, but do you go to the supermarket? Do you feel safer there? Think about it, 90% of posties if they had a slightest hint of a symptom, would be straight on the phone and not come in.Flashman_ wrote:The Gov. was happy to pay 80% pay to millions of other workers, to ensure their jobs remain, there is nothing essential about getting QVC crap sent to you. We should not be working, or only volunteers working to provide a skeleton service. Spain stopped postal services. Our offices simply cannot be made safe. Latest info clearly points to the virus spreading farther than first thought especially indoors. An infected person just speaking in the vicinity of others put them all at a very high risk of catching it.
In our office we still have a full office of staff,(notwithstanding people isolating or that have already walked) that are continually wandering around and talking and shouting. The heating is still on which gives a great stuffy atmosphere for the virus to travel around the office. They have staggered starts, single van working and attempted, but not policed 2m distancing. None of this will have any effect if anyone in the office has the virus because of what I said before.
It is simply not safe, and I am on the verge of walking out, at the moment I am relying on hope that no one in our office has it!
I SAT AGAIN WE SHOULD NOT BE WORKING.
And you're not in a supermarket for hours a day, every day. And you're not touching hundreds or thousands of contaminated surfaces in a supermarket.
-
bucks123
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 20 Mar 2020, 05:35
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
We have staggered starts in place and it has pretty much solved the social distancing issue in our DO (not 100% as you still get someone ignoring the rules but it is much better than when we were all in at the same time).
When I get in now, all the IPS, mech and packets have been put by my frame so I don't need to walk around the office collecting anything (other than my lapsing and even that is getting bundled up to minimise people hovering around the lapsing frames). Maybe we are lucky with our DOM but he seems to be taking this seriously (after our rep applied a little pressure a few weeks ago!).
Initially I was hacked off at being asked to come in 90 mins later but it's working out ok to be fair (packets mad but mail is way down so I am not finding I am taking any longer out on delivery). Half the office have already gone out when I get in so there is a lot more space to work.
I know everyone is in different circumstances (vulnerable family, anxiety, different office layouts impacting distancing etc) but personally I would rather be working than stuck at home for weeks on end. I think that if a change was implemented (furlough, reduced hours etc) then we might find we never return to normal (it's going to be tough as it is as there is likely to be some knock on effect to RM as a result of the wider impact on the businesses and public that we rely on).
When I get in now, all the IPS, mech and packets have been put by my frame so I don't need to walk around the office collecting anything (other than my lapsing and even that is getting bundled up to minimise people hovering around the lapsing frames). Maybe we are lucky with our DOM but he seems to be taking this seriously (after our rep applied a little pressure a few weeks ago!).
Initially I was hacked off at being asked to come in 90 mins later but it's working out ok to be fair (packets mad but mail is way down so I am not finding I am taking any longer out on delivery). Half the office have already gone out when I get in so there is a lot more space to work.
I know everyone is in different circumstances (vulnerable family, anxiety, different office layouts impacting distancing etc) but personally I would rather be working than stuck at home for weeks on end. I think that if a change was implemented (furlough, reduced hours etc) then we might find we never return to normal (it's going to be tough as it is as there is likely to be some knock on effect to RM as a result of the wider impact on the businesses and public that we rely on).
-
Mick100
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 10:00
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
Your leaving but for what will their be any jobs out therehawkeye622 wrote:I would happily work if Royal Mail was prioritising things correctly but when I'm being told to leave my full frame of mail for days to focus on parcels (boohoo, zara, hollister, QVC - wtf?) it all just feels so wrong. Thankfully I've only been in the job a short while, when this is all over I'll be leaving what I thought was my job for life. This virus has changed my outlook on everything and the pathetic lack of leadership from the bottom to the top of RM has completely put me off.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2039
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
We should not be at work
We are the foot solider, cannon fodder, is anyone higher up bothered what happens to you? Just keep sending you out there until you do not come back, when it peaks in the next 2 week, a lot of you will not be coming back, be safe.
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
We should not be at work
SpacePhoenix wrote:The economy might well be f**cked by the time this is all over. You thought the 2008 austerity was bad, the austerity that's going to result from this will probably make the 2008 austerity look like a walk in the park
Spot on my friend. Think of the 1930s and even cuts to the state pension/ benefits, getting rid off minimum wage ect. If they don't get a vaccine within about a year or so about 80/85% of people will have to catch this virus so our bodies can make antibodies. Depending on how that works out and if we get long term immunity (10 years) or so per person the world will not to back to the way it was a few weeks ago. They will want everything on line and letters gone. Not a good time to be in the job these days but we may look back and call the years before 2020, the golden years. There is a lot of carp to come including tax rises.
-
sindba
- Posts: 1456
- Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
Austerity is a political choice.Navalron wrote:SpacePhoenix wrote:The economy might well be f**cked by the time this is all over. You thought the 2008 austerity was bad, the austerity that's going to result from this will probably make the 2008 austerity look like a walk in the park
Spot on my friend. Think of the 1930s and even cuts to the state pension/ benefits, getting rid off minimum wage ect. If they don't get a vaccine within about a year or so about 80/85% of people will have to catch this virus so our bodies can make antibodies. Depending on how that works out and if we get long term immunity (10 years) or so per person the world will not to back to the way it was a few weeks ago. They will want everything on line and letters gone. Not a good time to be in the job these days but we may look back and call the years before 2020, the golden years. There is a lot of carp to come including tax rises.. wtf can you do? Absolutely nothing. Just hang on and see where it takes each one of us. Good luck everyone.
In the 30s Governments responded to the Great Depression by spending more to support the economy. In the UK a universal unemployment benefit was established, sowing the seeds for the welfare state and NHS post war. In the US the New Deal - huge spending on public infrastructure and unemployment support. It worked - economies recovered.
After the financial crash the 2010 Govt of the UK responded to a global banking crash by closing libraries and children's centres to save money. It didn't work - the economy flatlined, and we had crumbling public services and poverty that still continues.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
All the bailouts, etc have still got to be paid forsindba wrote: Austerity is a political choice.
In the 30s Governments responded to the Great Depression by spending more to support the economy. In the UK a universal unemployment benefit was established, sowing the seeds for the welfare state and NHS post war. In the US the New Deal - huge spending on public infrastructure and unemployment support. It worked - economies recovered.
After the financial crash the 2010 Govt of the UK responded to a global banking crash by closing libraries and children's centres to save money. It didn't work - the economy flatlined, and we had crumbling public services and poverty that still continues.
-
Munchboii
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 261
- Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
Navalron wrote:SpacePhoenix wrote:The economy might well be f**cked by the time this is all over. You thought the 2008 austerity was bad, the austerity that's going to result from this will probably make the 2008 austerity look like a walk in the park
Spot on my friend. Think of the 1930s and even cuts to the state pension/ benefits, getting rid off minimum wage ect. If they don't get a vaccine within about a year or so about 80/85% of people will have to catch this virus so our bodies can make antibodies. Depending on how that works out and if we get long term immunity (10 years) or so per person the world will not to back to the way it was a few weeks ago. They will want everything on line and letters gone. Not a good time to be in the job these days but we may look back and call the years before 2020, the golden years. There is a lot of carp to come including tax rises.. wtf can you do? Absolutely nothing. Just hang on and see where it takes each one of us. Good luck everyone.
I'm sorry but I disagree here about not wanting to send letters. Not everyone will want things online. The internet is under strain currently due to so many users, clearly not able to maintain the demand. Which means sooner or later the internet companies may have to announce reduction in speeds for certain areas. The point I'm trying to make is that letters are safe for at least the next 50 years I say. In my opinion cards and Bill's are much better in letter form due to the ability to then file them into a document folder yourself. Saves you then having to find the damn things when the time comes! I know I'm not the only one.
Currently theres a big increase in people sending letters to their loved ones. All sat at home and taken letter writing up as a hobby! Just shows that there is still a future in post. Dont give up morale.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
Who are we paying it to?SpacePhoenix wrote:All the bailouts, etc have still got to be paid for
Only dead fish follow the current
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governme ... /march2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Woody Guthrie wrote:Who are we paying it to?SpacePhoenix wrote:All the bailouts, etc have still got to be paid for
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
We should not be at work
I know what government debt and deficit is SP I'm not stupid but that's not the question.SpacePhoenix wrote:https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governme ... /march2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Woody Guthrie wrote:Who are we paying it to?SpacePhoenix wrote:All the bailouts, etc have still got to be paid for
Who are we paying it to?
I'll give you a hint.
Bank of England Asset Purchase facility (Quantitative easing).
Only dead fish follow the current