ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

3 day cover duties set to go

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

Charliecat wrote:
LukeyBoy wrote:I did the best 3 day cover job with Fixed Weds+Thurs off,then got moved to 5 day week.
The reality is they say your work will be ready to go but if it's anything like any other offices I've been at yours will be the last you be thrown in if there is sickness etc.
It's then the usual battle with managers where they just expect you to do more then your hours.
Yes it’s as I thought,.,not gonna work is it! ?
Also when they throw in your parcels they won’t be doing it how you would and that’s going to slow things down. Also if I end up being a reserve because of the repick, even though I’ve been there just over 2 years I’ll be low on pecking order, I’ll be doing duties I don’t even know and I’ll be even slower ...can’t wait. Let the games commence ....plus the overtime cos I don’t know what’s what!!!

However my main concern is the fact they don’t give a sh.t about us.
djhl
Posts: 53
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 22:36
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by djhl »

I also do a three day cover covering three days over the Wednesday to Saturday. I don't get involved in chats at work so this is the first I've heard about this. Where can I find out more as I can't up my working days due to caring for an elderly relative?
Kesknight
Posts: 98
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 22:00
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Kesknight »

Do you cover full time duties with your rest day cover job?
djhl
Posts: 53
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 22:36
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by djhl »

Yes I cover the day off of three full time rural posties
Kesknight
Posts: 98
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 22:00
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Kesknight »

djhl wrote:Yes I cover the day off of three full time rural posties
In that case they'll have to give you full hour days to cover a full time duty. Someone on part time hours isn't supposed to cover a full timers day off
djhl
Posts: 53
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 22:36
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by djhl »

sorry, probably a bit thick but didn't understand that last bit. Our office has 5 or 6 p/t three dayers who are in groups of 4 (three full time, one p/t to cover the day off)
Are these posts going as well?
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by postieblueshirt »

Kesknight wrote:
djhl wrote:Yes I cover the day off of three full time rural posties
In that case they'll have to give you full hour days to cover a full time duty. Someone on part time hours isn't supposed to cover a full timers day off
PT staff can cover outdoor delivery span as long as it's prepped for them starting outdoor delivery span is the same only indoor is the difference between PT and ft.
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

djhl wrote:sorry, probably a bit thick but didn't understand that last bit. Our office has 5 or 6 p/t three dayers who are in groups of 4 (three full time, one p/t to cover the day off)
Are these posts going as well?
Not sure. In my office it’s the part time 3 day cover jobs going because we will be doing more outside delivery rather than the prepping indoors. It might just be my office doing this! Don’t worry too much if your office hasn’t been told this then it might not happen to you. I’m just saying I am unhappy it’s happening to me because after joining RM on a 25 hour contract I almost immediately got a 3 day cover duty and now my life is organised around that. It’s totally up to RM how they utilise us and I understand that but I still don’t get why they can’t have people working 3 days anyway ? Other companies allow part time weeks it’s about time RM thought more about families needing someone at home a couple of days a week. As I said before ...they don’t give a s**t :Boo hoo!
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by postiewhite »

Charliecat wrote:I’m gutted to say the least! After having a nice life , work balance of working 3 days a week to be told we will have to do 5 days with 1 in 6 Saturdays off is going to be a shock to my system to say the least! I really hope it doesn’t happen but it’s looking like it will. It’s a shame Royal Mail can’t accommodate those that can’t work 5 days or can’t because it’s too much walking with no recovery time. Time for some serious job hunting :sad:
Hate to be negative but your gonna have to roll with the punches. Im on 30 hrs over 5 days and there are people less senior to me doing the same over 4. It sucks but there is nothing you can do apart from look for something else. Unfortunately there are a lot of people in your position.
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

postiewhite wrote:
Charliecat wrote:I’m gutted to say the least! After having a nice life , work balance of working 3 days a week to be told we will have to do 5 days with 1 in 6 Saturdays off is going to be a shock to my system to say the least! I really hope it doesn’t happen but it’s looking like it will. It’s a shame Royal Mail can’t accommodate those that can’t work 5 days or can’t because it’s too much walking with no recovery time. Time for some serious job hunting :sad:
Hate to be negative but your gonna have to roll with the punches. Im on 30 hrs over 5 days and there are people less senior to me doing the same over 4. It sucks but there is nothing you can do apart from look for something else. Unfortunately there are a lot of people in your position.
Yes I know and yes I will just get on with it when it happens it’s just I actually quite like the sorting the frame before I go out and the banter in the office too. Plus when I joined I liked the idea of starting early and getting done but now I think that, even though they say it will be ready to go for 10 am start, that I won’t get out TIL much later than 10 am because the frame won’t have been fully sorted (even though they said it will) and I won’t finish before 3pm as they seem to think! The ideas there but the reality will be so different in my opinion. You know what RM is like haha