Never give mail out in the street. Full stop. It’s not worth your jobs.norris9 wrote:knocked on a woman's door once with a redelivery parcel for her and she started moaning that she was pissed off that Posties don't leave parcels hidden for her when she isn't in as she hates going to the delivery office, saying she doesn't like the process.....
She was moaning and whining that we don't do something we could possibly get sacked for. Ridiculous.
As someone who is moved around I HATE people coming up to me in the street and asking for their post. I don't know them, they know I am not the regular postie. These impatient irritants!!! TBH I give them the post.....but from now on I am going to refuse and probably reply to them saying 'no, I am not risking getting sacked'. And I'm not talking about people on their driveways, I am talking about people who are in the street.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Stolen Tracked
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Stolen Tracked
Yes, going to be funny seeing all these people's reactions from now on when I refuse to hand over any post to them. Blooming irritants that they are.joewyan wrote:Never give mail out in the street. Full stop. It’s not worth your jobs.
-
PostmanBitesDog
- Posts: 1428
- Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
That's right, never give the mail to anybody on the street. If they have a P739 card that was slipped through their letterbox for a Tracked/Signed For item going back to the delivery office, then that'll be an valid exception. I've had people on the street asking if I've got anything for them at such-and-such address and I'd say to them maybe I do, maybe I don't with the nine hundred items I'm carrying in my pouch for today's duty. I can't give it to you here on the street, though, sir/ma'am.norris9 wrote:Yes, going to be funny seeing all these people's reactions from now on when I refuse to hand over any post to them. Blooming irritants that they are.joewyan wrote:Never give mail out in the street. Full stop. It’s not worth your jobs.
The common response from the folks who're asking is: "Well, my regular postie always hands me my letters on the street." My response: "Sorry, sir/ma'am, but I'm not your regular postie." (And if I was, I'd still be reluctant to hand mail to a resident on the street, even if it was down to my own discretion. It's still bad practice.)
Sometimes a resident is irritating enough to insist on receiving their mail on the street because they're "on their way to work or need to walk the dog or visiting so-and-so or some other immediate appointment"). If they're very much near their property I ask them to go to the their front door and open it to prove they actually live there. A few show their frustration, but not all of them are disgruntled about it. After all, they generally appreciate the reason why we are strict about not handing mail on the street - it's for security's sake.
I've had the odd person show me their bank card as proof of who they are. Ha! Like a bank card has a current residential address on it. Yeah right, lady.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Were they actually for denial of recept? Or a littany of things and that was the final straw? That's usually the way.Newbie001 wrote:Not quite true. Been a few in Scotland sacked recently for exact same thing. You would think common sense would prevail but seems different offices, different rules. Wouldnt like to guess what will happen here.Seymour Buts wrote:Nobody loses their job because of a parcel going missing, such alarmist nonsense isn't needed.twoloops wrote:Big lesson for you Jamesfr3man if they're not in 739 it & take it back, no neighbors, no safe place, the only safe place is back @ the office & you keep your job
You'll get a slap on the wrist; just explain you were doing somebody a favour and now regret it. As you're relatively new you're probably a reserve so in future I'd advise against doorstepping as you're unlikely to know who you are doing it for. It's far more likely the parcels haven't been stolen and the customer is just after compensation. I've had people deny recieving stuff when I've literally handed it to them.
People forget, we're not the only ones door stepping.If we were that way enclined, we could probably pinch a dozen rival courier parcels each day. Whose to say some of our rivals drivers aren't doing just that.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
twoloops wrote:I would not consider “behind the bin” a safe place (hope you took a photo?) that would have gone back on my watch, your an accident waiting to happenwacko74 wrote:followed the safeplace instruction to leave behind the bin.
If both the customer and the recipient are happy to have ''behind the wheelie bin'' as their official designated safeplace then who am I to argue with them?
I've followed the instructions I've been given, if anything happens to the pkt as a result of those instructions being followed then it's up to the customer and recipient to argue it out between themselves and if they or RM try to pin the blame on me I'd be more than happy to see what an Industrial Tribunal has to say about it.
-
PostmanBitesDog
- Posts: 1428
- Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
I've been seeing more of these large postboxes at customers' addresses lately:
Although they're not so great for oversize parcels, they're still perfect for medium size packages that don't fit through the customers letter slots (and bulky magazines, thick A4 size envelopes, etc). About £120 for this model. I've been encouraging customers who regularly order packages to get their hands on one of these.
And then there're customers who see no problem with sticking a sign on their property (inside a front window, on a main door, etc.) that reads: 'Please Leave My Expensive Items I Ordered Online [iPhone, X-Box, Diamond Necklace] In The Green Bin Because I Am At Work All Day Today. And Please Don't Tell Anybody. Thank You'.
Great advertisement for the local thieves.
Although they're not so great for oversize parcels, they're still perfect for medium size packages that don't fit through the customers letter slots (and bulky magazines, thick A4 size envelopes, etc). About £120 for this model. I've been encouraging customers who regularly order packages to get their hands on one of these.
And then there're customers who see no problem with sticking a sign on their property (inside a front window, on a main door, etc.) that reads: 'Please Leave My Expensive Items I Ordered Online [iPhone, X-Box, Diamond Necklace] In The Green Bin Because I Am At Work All Day Today. And Please Don't Tell Anybody. Thank You'.
Great advertisement for the local thieves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.