ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trainee manager

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Trainee manager

Post by Route1 »

TheTrolleyMan wrote:Hi I've been with RM for 7 mths as a 25 hr OPG , I've been asked to go on a full time relief manager course . I do enjoy being out delivering but as Xmas is coming up and the opportunity of a more hour contract I'm very tempted to apply . I was also told that last Xmas some of the posties are staying out delivering past 3.30 pm . I don't fancy being out that late in the cold , wet dark conditions . What are my chances of getting on the management ladder ?
Probably a pisstake but it shouldnt be hard to become management relief cover. You still wont be management but its a small step.

The lino relief cover used to be a postie not so long ago. When he is doing the management cover he only works 7am - 11am (4hours). Hes annoyed that he can earn more being a postie :Boo hoo! but i told him short-term sacrifice for longer term gains. Managers are still people like the uncomfortable van share partner for a day.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Trainee manager

Post by Brandy »

par4mrl wrote:Royal Mail managers = failed postman
Never a truer word said!!!!!!!!
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by scoobydo79 »

From what I’ve seen guys that can’t cut the mustard as postman make managers.Youl do fine go for it :chuckle
nelly21
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 50
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 14:14
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by nelly21 »

Good luck in your new position but just remember where you came from , you should be well aware how tough delivery is,
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by rambo1 »

Rumple wrote:
TheTrolleyMan wrote:Hi I've been with RM for 7 mths as a 25 hr OPG , I've been asked to go on a full time relief manager course . I do enjoy being out delivering but as Xmas is coming up and the opportunity of a more hour contract I'm very tempted to apply . I was also told that last Xmas some of the posties are staying out delivering past 3.30 pm . I don't fancy being out that late in the cold , wet dark conditions . What are my chances of getting on the management ladder ?
I'm confused.
You've been with RM for 7 months but been posting on here for 2 years.
You like the idea of more hours but you don't like the thought of being out past 3.30?
Regardless, if you are only thinking of applying for the relief managers role for more hours then fear not, I'm sure there will be plenty o/t available around Xmas, both indoor and out.
3.30pm! At Christmas. Your having a laugh aren't you. More like 5-6pm if you want to finish the delivery that is.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I'm surprised at the ammount of Posts concerning finishing so late during the Christmas Period. A) Are you not aware of the over-running procedure and B) Does your DO not have a Christmas Delivery Plan? :hmmmm

During the Christmas Pressure Period there is a Block on Leave so you should have extra Posties (in the form of the Holiday Relief Staff). During our Christmas Planning the DO asks:

1) Who is going to Definitely commit to completing their Delivery Every Day :shock:

2) Who is interested in Working their Day Off :crazy:

3) Who is interested in coming in Early to do IPS/Prep, or work Late to finish off Parcels :left:

Ironically I often find the Christmas Period easier than the rest of the Year as I do "None of the Above", and get about an Hour taken off my Delivery because I refuse to work like a Dog for RM Management! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by weary_posty »

From what I was told by one of our relief managers it’s not really worth it.

Stress and pressure is ramped up and you only really take home the equivalent of a couple hours OT p/w.

Christmas isn’t THAT bad. Same overrunning rules apply to the rest of the year if you don’t fancy working past 3:30pm
work
Posts: 231
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by work »

All the very best of British Luck to you and don't forget your trolley-days are not over yet... :pray