The basic fact is that RM don't care. RM winning the award for the Mental Health Awareness scheme would be laughable if it didn't devalue all such awards for companies that do care.
I declared the "illness" on the Driving Licence check and a decent Line Manager referred me to OH Assist, I have found the attitude of managers has changed a bit since this happened. I will work over my time when convenient and needed, so I have a chance of overtime if need be. But I am fortunate in not having any real financial commitments and that made the decision easier.
@postslippete - yes I was going in early to give myself extra time, but that was just putting myself in the atmosphere for longer and making me more tired.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Vol reduction in hours
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Vol reduction in hours
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
comeracing
- Posts: 806
- Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
- Gender: Male
Vol reduction in hours
I cannot stand ips and bitches in my office its appalling tell the manager 30 mins ot they say that much its poison at the moment I've had anxiety and depression over the last year and have medication when needed I cant be doing with all the hassle I'm much more relaxed whilst out on delivery if this crap continues in the office it will be long term sick for me eventually
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Vol reduction in hours
Is it not called a buy down of hours ? Im sure theres a payment for it
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Vol reduction in hours
Very unlikely you'll get it, even when my office did need to reduce hours and I volunteered to do so I was told I still wasn't entitled to a buy down, they would have simply let go of one of the new starters instead.Chelseablue wrote:Is it not called a buy down of hours ? Im sure theres a payment for it
Not having to do any of the indoor work is a lot less stressful imo, aside from the office politics and general bitching I just hated the nature of the indoor work anyway, even just prepping my own delivery would give me a headache, I much prefer just strolling in at 8 and having it (mostly) thrown in for me.
-
janty
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Vol reduction in hours
Indeed. Even with the hour off the full timers we're still expected to do the same workload or more in the morning. Everyone gets stressed then all the infighting begins. People fall out and little cliques emerge in the office. Constant back-stabbing and bitching. Management do nothing. Its a kind of divide and conquer in a way. A divided workforce is easier to control. Why would management want a harmonious workforce? Which would unite against them. I don't know why it has taken the cwu so long to see that for on the floor every morning there are very few visible benefits from the recent four pillars agreement. In all my 20 years, I have never seen delivery in such a state.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Vol reduction in hours
Ive always been PT on 30hrs but have done on average 3 days a week on FT up until the end of winter when my manager says he needed to cut back on hours so I have mainly been doing just my hours and instead of a 6.45am start I now start at 8,45am. At first I kicked up over it but after a couple of weeks I realised it wasnt worth the stress fighting for more hours and just accepted it. Now I LOVE it. I can stay up until 11.30pm now and watch a film etc at 9.30pm and now I feel much more refreshed and feel like I can get a better sleep. I still do odd extra hours but that is up to me.
-
janty
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Vol reduction in hours
Well, I went ahead and reduced my hours to 30. Basically I now start at 9:20 until 15:20. I'm actually astonished how different I feel. I simply rock in at my start time and tie up my walk and get to ____ out of there. Used to be I was wrecked even before I started my walk. Now it's like a big weight lifted off my shoulders. People say I'm mad what about my pension. Though as someone stated earlier.. What price do you put on your mental health? So if like I was and you're struggling. I would consider the drop.. Thanks for all your replies.
-
cope29
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 29 Jun 2019, 07:56
- Gender: Male
reduction in hours
Is it possible to drop a day and work a 4 day week?
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Vol reduction in hours
I know everyone handles stress differently but who gives a toss if the mail's shagged, missorts everywhere, York's bursting ect. Start at your time do your job, take your breaks and if the mail's to heavy or the walk is too big let the management, manage and let them worry and stress. That's what their there for. And before anyone tried to reduce hours, I guarantee yous, that when any senior postie walks in and asks the dom to reduce hours, their is money in their budget to buy down your hours. Why on earth would you accept any bullshit that comes out of their mouths. Also it affects your pension, holidays ect. I hate to see anybody bullied/worn down into accepting crap from any company but especially a privatised RM ,whose German controller doesn't pay anything towards this country. I hope anybody who feels like this gets the help they need both bodily and financially as we all feel a bit better with a few beer tokens in the bank. 
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
reduction in hours
Only if someone could would do two days a week why not a 3 day week and a lot would go for it esp 60+ year olds you could always work the odd day off and swap days around to suit the both of you!cope29 wrote:Is it possible to drop a day and work a 4 day week?