ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by Postie45 »

basically get an extra 1.5 weeks holiday for doing about 1 hrs average overtime per week ? its a good deal
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
matt_1983
Posts: 39
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 08:39
Gender: Male

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by matt_1983 »

Is there a way to sign up for this via email to HR or something? Basically without having to ask DOM.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by Celgar »

matt_1983 wrote:Is there a way to sign up for this via email to HR or something? Basically without having to ask DOM.
I think you could ask the PHG, as they were formally known, who is likely the person who does all the payroll and computer work for the office. Failing that ask your union rep.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I definitely think it's worth the £7.52 I pay a week!
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by Navalron »

rambo1 wrote:
Navalron wrote:A couple of weeks sick every year cost nothing. Keep it under your 12 days, no stages. They don't think any better off you if you don't or do take sick leave. Your just a number. :thumbup
So what do you do when you're 'off sick' ? Can't exactly go on holiday. You do know managers look at this site too. Great work ethic though, nice to see you're supporting all your fellow workers, costing the business money and possibly eventual job losses. Keep up the good work.
I don't work for RM no more. And even if I did now would the management know how I was. Does anyone give out their real name, office ect. :cuppa
sf25
Posts: 43
Joined: 22 Apr 2012, 13:57
Gender: Male

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by sf25 »

Personally I have only kept it on as I am use to getting 6 weeks off now but if I didnt already have it I would advise against it. When I do full time hours over the xmas period I was gettin more deducted from my wage. I phoned to question this and explained that as I would not be receiving any extra holidays for working the extra hours I shouldnt be getting extra money deducted....as usual Royal Mail just demanded it was correct to deduct my wage. Instead of trying to explain why (as I still dont understand it) he basically made me out to be an idiot.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by Postie45 »

sf25 wrote:Personally I have only kept it on as I am use to getting 6 weeks off now but if I didnt already have it I would advise against it.
strange my POAL is a flat reduction and only gone up a few pence since the pay increase in April.
I certainly wouldnt want to give it up, so i guess i must think its worth it.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by k979aaa »

Look at it after tax is deducted also who else gets 8 weeks a year holiday? apart from MP's and Teachers :wink:
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

POAL payments, are they worth it?

Post by Route1 »

sf25 wrote:Personally I have only kept it on as I am use to getting 6 weeks off now but if I didnt already have it I would advise against it. When I do full time hours over the xmas period I was gettin more deducted from my wage. I phoned to question this and explained that as I would not be receiving any extra holidays for working the extra hours I shouldnt be getting extra money deducted....as usual Royal Mail just demanded it was correct to deduct my wage. Instead of trying to explain why (as I still dont understand it) he basically made me out to be an idiot.

Personally I would advise going for it. 6 weeks annual leave instead of 4 & 1/2weeks at a cost of under £9.21 per week (28 hr contract). The extra leave is essentially unpaid leave but instead of getting no pay that week, a small amount is taken out each week.

I queried the extra POAL charge when doing ft at xmas too. Told them the same as you that I dont get ft wages when on leave so why u charging me for a fulltimers annual leave. Union + the managers didnt know so I phoned HR. Basically, it will build up your annual leave hours to just over 6 week.

ie To get the max of 6 weeks annual leave, you will get deducted (for example) £10 per week. At xmas when doing ft, u might be deducted £13 per week instead of £10. All that happens is you've built up (for example) 6 week + 1/8 day annual week instead of just 6 weeks.