dreamflyer wrote:Hi I have my induction coming up very soon for postman with driving, I have a few questions.
Firstly, what can I expect to do on my induction? Will there be any tests? Watching videos?
Also, when can I expect to receive my uniform? If I don't get it at the induction what should I turn up to work wearing?
Can I claim travel expenses for my journey to the induction? As I have to travel quite a long distance and it is far from my delivery office. And if I can how do I claim for it?
What can I expect on my first work day?
Can I refuse to work more hours and only work the hours which was stated on my job offer (8am-2pm)?
Finally, I contacted HR recently and they said my contracted hours were 7.50am to 2 or 2.20pm? I'm absolutely certain my hours are 8am-2pm. Even my first day start time is 8am. So I'm not sure why they are saying 7.50am and finishing at 2 or 2.20pm?
Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
All good and genuine questions.
1) Induction will involve watching RM videos etc. Much of this stuff is common sense and you may have trouble staying awake. Once you have done the job for a while you will realize how RM expects the job to be done and what actually happens are often not the same.
2)You will order your uniform with the DOM/manager at the DO you are based at. Note I say based as it is not impossible to be moved to other offices on a daily basis. In the meantime wear comfortable clothes to suit the weather conditions.
3)I expect you can claim travel expenses to get to & from the induction location. Enquire while you are there.
4) On your first day you will be shown a walk and how to do it. Ask the postie that trains you to show you everything they have to do and where everything is. If there is anything on the walk you probably won't remember write it down so take a notepad or clipboard and pen with you on the day. There will be stuff worth writing down. You should get at least two days training and maybe three on your first walk. If you are lucky you may get to stay on that walk for a while.
5) You are only oblidged to work your contracted hours. Don't go in before time and take all the breaks you are entitled to. If there is not enough duty time to deliver everything this is not your fault or responsibility. Posties on part time usually seem to want more hours and there will usually be overtime available.
6) RM provide Light Weight Trolleys (LWTs) to carry mail pouches rather than have them on your shoulder and pull your back out. You likely won't be told about them or given one to use but if you want to use one you are entitled to do so. Don't be pressured by other posties to not use one.
7) Discrepancies on contracted times have been raised on this forum before. If the times are not possible due to your home commitments then make that clear to the DOM from the start. If the longer times suit you then roll with it.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.