ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

1 in 4 Saturdays off?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
luddite
Posts: 451
Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24

1 in 4 Saturdays off?

Post by luddite »

Ren Hoëk wrote:It is possible. Speak with DOM and union rep and see if there is apatite for it to happen with the people at your DO. Our DO is on 9 day fortnights (I think thats what you call it). its goes as follows

Mon - 06:00 -14:18
Tues - 06:20 - 14:15
Wednesday - 06:00 - 14:50
Thur - 06:00 - 14:50
Fri - 06:20 - 14:40
Saturday - 06:20 - 14:32

week one - Monday off = 42:10
Week two - Tuesday, Wednesday off = 33 hours
week three - Thursday off = 41:50 hours
Week Four - Friday, Sat off = 34 hours

Total 151 hours over 4 weeks

I think iv got the times correct but if not they are very close. Its nice that every 4 weeks we get a four day weekend but the week back is a slog to say the least! The other weeks are generally ok.
So if you've got any sense you'd book your holidays on the long weeks? How does your office balance the holiday budget?
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

1 in 4 Saturdays off?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

luddite wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:It is possible. Speak with DOM and union rep and see if there is apatite for it to happen with the people at your DO. Our DO is on 9 day fortnights (I think thats what you call it). its goes as follows

Mon - 06:00 -14:18
Tues - 06:20 - 14:15
Wednesday - 06:00 - 14:50
Thur - 06:00 - 14:50
Fri - 06:20 - 14:40
Saturday - 06:20 - 14:32

week one - Monday off = 42:10
Week two - Tuesday, Wednesday off = 33 hours
week three - Thursday off = 41:50 hours
Week Four - Friday, Sat off = 34 hours

Total 151 hours over 4 weeks

I think iv got the times correct but if not they are very close. Its nice that every 4 weeks we get a four day weekend but the week back is a slog to say the least! The other weeks are generally ok.
So if you've got any sense you'd book your holidays on the long weeks? How does your office balance the holiday budget?
Everyone has an amount of hours to use for A/L. If you booked all the long weeks you would end up owing hours back. It is currently a point of contention at our place.
Daymon18
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Sep 2018, 21:13
Gender: Male

1 in 4 Saturdays off?

Post by Daymon18 »

I transferred to a new office in October at the end of last year, my previous office were very good with ensuring I had a Saturday off every 6 weeks. Since I’ve transferred I haven’t had a single Saturday off and complained saying there’s people who have had 3 or 4 Saturdays off in the time I’ve been here and I haven’t had one... they didn’t seem to care at all, going to my union rep this week to make more of an issue of it! Doesn’t seem fair to me but life goes on!
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

1 in 4 Saturdays off?

Post by Interested-seeker »

Daymon18 wrote:I transferred to a new office in October at the end of last year, my previous office were very good with ensuring I had a Saturday off every 6 weeks. Since I’ve transferred I haven’t had a single Saturday off and complained saying there’s people who have had 3 or 4 Saturdays off in the time I’ve been here and I haven’t had one... they didn’t seem to care at all, going to my union rep this week to make more of an issue of it! Doesn’t seem fair to me but life goes on!
I have had the same thing. Others getting more Saturdays off than me. I have put a grievance in and talked to my rep. Phone the bullying and harassment helpline on the back of the payslip to make a grievance. But before you do that, talk to your manager and ask him to resolve the issue.