ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

"Methods". What are they?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:There are a myriad of "Delivery Method" threads on the site, easily accessible through google site search.

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 88#p816173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LTB 381/18 : CWU/RM National Terms of Reference : New Delivery Methods

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=75826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LTB 469/16 OMP Terms of Reference : New Delivery Methods Trial (Small Pouch)

are just 2 of them.

Have fun searching for specifics.

There are many post's but nothing I can find actually points to the specifics of RM policy. Even those two threads you have linked to do not. They are about trials.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Celgar wrote:Just from wearing the PDA holster I ended up with an infected cyst on my back that resulted in an operation under general anesthetic in hospital and over two months of having dressings changed daily. If you were unlucky you could get the same thing from having heavy pouches of mail on your back. Once you start using an LWT you will never go back to pouches on your back. The number one excuse for not using LWTs is security reasons. I hear posties saying it all the time when really they just think an LWT will slow them down. The reverse is probably the case though.
I think people are misunderstanding my post. I want to use my LWT all the time. But I also want to know that I will be protected by RM's own policy. So when and when not should I be using it. Another poster eluded to weights. But I also remember seeing a post about if you cant use LWT then walking time should be shorter etc.

So far all I'm hearing is anecdotal. I and everyone who works for RM should want exact policy so they can have the confidence to back themselves.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

"Methods". What are they?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Ren Hoëk wrote:
Celgar wrote:Just from wearing the PDA holster I ended up with an infected cyst on my back that resulted in an operation under general anesthetic in hospital and over two months of having dressings changed daily. If you were unlucky you could get the same thing from having heavy pouches of mail on your back. Once you start using an LWT you will never go back to pouches on your back. The number one excuse for not using LWTs is security reasons. I hear posties saying it all the time when really they just think an LWT will slow them down. The reverse is probably the case though.
I think people are misunderstanding my post. I want to use my LWT all the time. But I also want to know that I will be protected by RM's own policy. So when and when not should I be using it. Another poster eluded to weights. But I also remember seeing a post about if you cant use LWT then walking time should be shorter etc.

So far all I'm hearing is anecdotal. I and everyone who works for RM should want exact policy so they can have the confidence to back themselves.
Right - now we have cleared it up. Delivery Methods is the name for changing from a mainly singleton delivery to CDVs with Trolleys. But what you wanted was information on the Mandatory Use of Assigned Equipment - that falls under the 2010 agreement and is probably the reason why you didn't find what you were looking for:
fishtank wrote:
Phase 5 http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =0#p289215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Implementation of the revision, there will probably be a planned date for the implementation of the revision however, it is essential that this is agreed with you, and it is “do-able”. Prior to implementation of a revision, reps must ensure that the revision is compliant to all health and safety standards and signed off / confirmed as such by the WSR/ASR and that all equipment for the revision such as trolley’s, vans will be in place for the commencement of the revision. All training requirements should also be in place prior to the revision going “live” and that everyone is aware that all equipment aligned to the delivery must be used.
Image
Image
Business Transformation 2010 and Beyond....page 23

The introduction of new delivery methods equipment will follow the agreed delivery revisions process and will need to take account of D2D.
Once assigned the use of equipment specified for the route will be mandatory.
Do you need any more ammunition?
https://www.cwu.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... -_2010.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 22 Once assigned the use of equipment specified for the route will be mandatory.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

"Once assigned the use of equipment specified for the route will be mandatory."

That is exactly what I was looking for! Sorry for any confusion with the terms. Im still trying to wrap my head around all the different terms and abbreviations.

I will note that today I didn't use my trolley for the entire round but for 1 or 2 loops.I made a conscious effort to not walk sort the mail. My seat belt went on at every instance. I drove safely (I know that shouldn't need to be stated but every single person I have been a passenger with for RM would not pass a test!). We took back nearly an entire frame! Tomorrow I will do the same but trolley the lot.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by Celgar »

Ren Hoëk wrote:"Once assigned the use of equipment specified for the route will be mandatory."

That is exactly what I was looking for! Sorry for any confusion with the terms. Im still trying to wrap my head around all the different terms and abbreviations.

I will note that today I didn't use my trolley for the entire round but for 1 or 2 loops.I made a conscious effort to not walk sort the mail. My seat belt went on at every instance. I drove safely (I know that shouldn't need to be stated but every single person I have been a passenger with for RM would not pass a test!). We took back nearly an entire frame! Tomorrow I will do the same but trolley the lot.
What does 'to not walk sort the mail' mean please?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Celgar wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:"Once assigned the use of equipment specified for the route will be mandatory."

That is exactly what I was looking for! Sorry for any confusion with the terms. Im still trying to wrap my head around all the different terms and abbreviations.

I will note that today I didn't use my trolley for the entire round but for 1 or 2 loops.I made a conscious effort to not walk sort the mail. My seat belt went on at every instance. I drove safely (I know that shouldn't need to be stated but every single person I have been a passenger with for RM would not pass a test!). We took back nearly an entire frame! Tomorrow I will do the same but trolley the lot.
What does 'to not walk sort the mail' mean please?
Not picking the next addresses mail from the bundle in my hand whilst walking. From the little training I had the coach told me I should stand still, flick through the mail and then proceed to post it at the next address. To stop trips and falls. Again, Nobody does this!
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

In fact. This is probably more inline with what I was looking for as it has a broader reach. I Think I will be asking to see my walk log as I have Never seen one! and asking for this document to be printed and displayed.

http://www.cwu.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... OWv1.1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Below is what I was looking for.

LWTload32kg(2 pouches).

Pouch16kg(11kg other).

Do use any delivery equipment designated to the Duty as required and as per the SSOW.

NEVER read the mail when walking and only hold small bundles.
Memorise the next delivery point and avoid repeatedly reading the
address

Do not rush. Adjust your speed for the conditions.

DO NOT take shortcuts and walk on designated paths / areas at all times.

Wear seatbelts when moving.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by Celgar »

Ren Hoëk wrote:In fact. This is probably more inline with what I was looking for as it has a broader reach. I Think I will be asking to see my walk log as I have Never seen one! and asking for this document to be printed and displayed.

http://www.cwu.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... OWv1.1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Below is what I was looking for.

LWTload32kg(2 pouches).

Pouch16kg(11kg other).

Do use any delivery equipment designated to the Duty as required and as per the SSOW.

NEVER read the mail when walking and only hold small bundles.
Memorise the next delivery point and avoid repeatedly reading the
address

Do not rush. Adjust your speed for the conditions.

DO NOT take shortcuts and walk on designated paths / areas at all times.

Wear seatbelts when moving.
Those details are the standard 'bits n bobs' which you should have been told either on the training before you entered a DO or when you were shown your first walk. The walk log can usually be located in a ring binder file somewhere on the frame or in one of the plastic storage boxes underneath the frame. Most posties don't look at this file but I get that someone may want to read it if they are not sure about something. Best policy is to make notes when you first get trained on a walk of notable things to remember such as bad dogs, specifics on delivery points and routes, etc. Also make a note of who else knows that walk in case you have more questions.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
poolcued
Posts: 42
Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by poolcued »

A minority use LWT's in my DO. If you do need one, it's next to impossible to find a working one.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

The same in our office. Most of them are pretty much knackered. The size of the bags I see people with over there shoulders is laughable. Over the last week or so I have been following the SSOW as prescribed by RM and every round iv done can not be completed. Problem being as no one else follows the correct procedures my DOM will come down on me.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

It's a common problem, it feels like you have more chance of winning the lottery than finding an OPG that uses LWTs and HCTs correctly; only uses a sub 5Kg pouch in certain circumstances; stands still while getting mail for the next address from the working bundle etc.

If you try and follow the SSOW methods, you stand out like a sore thumb and will be accused of "performance issues" by management because you will easily be making the delivery 60mins+ longer.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

"Methods". What are they?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:It's a common problem, it feels like you have more chance of winning the lottery than finding an OPG that uses LWTs and HCTs correctly; only uses a sub 5Kg pouch in certain circumstances; stands still while getting mail for the next address from the working bundle etc.

If you try and follow the SSOW methods, you stand out like a sore thumb and will be accused of "performance issues" by management because you will easily be making the delivery 60mins+ longer.
Get the DOM to put it in writing that they're ordering you to ignore the SSOW