ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Overrunning Delivery..what is the procedure when....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Overrunning Delivery..what is the procedure when....

Post by Seymour Buts »

If I can't complete and don't want the overtime they're TOLD what will be left. There's no conversation to be had. I wouldn't take mail out and bring it back.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Overrunning Delivery..what is the procedure when....

Post by Dorset Plodder »

postietom wrote:If I can't complete and don't want the overtime they're TOLD what will be left. There's no conversation to be had. I wouldn't take mail out and bring it back.
If this works for you that's great PT :thumbup However it's not the agreed procedure, and although RM are content to "Divide & Rule" the 1000 or so Delivery Offices we should try and use the same system. It's the DOMs job to sort the problem and we can only really tell him we intend to finish on time, and await his decision. I don't see a problem with "Suggesting a solution" to him that would save the necessary 40 mins .... or whatever. Perhaps, "If I leave the High Street, that's about 40 mins.... you can get someone else to deliver it on Overtime.... and I'll be finished on time". :hmmmm

DOMs are generally Lazy Buggers, and if you've done his thinking for him I'm sure he'll agree. The only problem with your approach is it could be seen as confrontational. It may work for someone like yourself,with a strong confident personality but not for everyone. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Overrunning Delivery..what is the procedure when....

Post by postmanzach »

postietom wrote:If I can't complete and don't want the overtime they're TOLD what will be left. There's no conversation to be had. I wouldn't take mail out and bring it back.
True but to be fair pretty sure the correct procedure is that the manager chooses which bit you leave.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Overrunning Delivery..what is the procedure when....

Post by Seymour Buts »

I'm not confrontational, just firm. If I take it out, how are they going to get it covered anyway? They'll have no idea how much is coming back. If it's left everybody knows where they stand and if they can get it covered on ot it's ready to go.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Overrunning Delivery..what is the procedure when....

Post by Seymour Buts »

To be honest, this is why there's so many problems; there's no standard practice anywhere throughout RM. I've been told by my rep from day, do not take stuff out you're not going to deliver so that's the way I've always done it. It's obviously different in other offices.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Overrunning Delivery..what is the procedure when....

Post by postslippete »

postietom wrote:To be honest, this is why there's so many problems; there's no standard practice anywhere throughout RM. I've been told by my rep from day, do not take stuff out you're not going to deliver so that's the way I've always done it. It's obviously different in other offices.

And that makes a lot of sense. What would be the point of taking all the mail out knowing that some of it will be coming back to the depot? Surely, it would be better for a manager to ask you what you intend to leave behind before you leave the office so they can arrange for that work to be delivered??

That said, a manager can insist that you take all the work out with you in the hope that you will deliver it all; but if you can't and you have to telephone the office, then I'm afraid that is what you must do. Thing is, what do you do when theres no credit on your phone or you can't ring from PDA for whatever reason? So lets see....you have informed a manager that there is a high likelihood of you bringing a few loops back but you can't get in touch near cut off time to then remind them of that fact? :hmmmm This is why managers should not be able to insist that you do this. Things are different now, posties are cutting off more than ever before because of longer delivery spans and a shorter working week to do the work in. The only thing that probably needs updating are better management practices to cope with this.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.