ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
11
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
The PDA is the thing that you point at barcodes.
The actuals are the information fed back to your boss about your location and whether you're moving about or sitting in a van.
The actuals are the information fed back to your boss about your location and whether you're moving about or sitting in a van.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Presumably your partner was the driver? Why didn’t they want to drive back to the office?
-
Seagull1983
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Might get sent out again. It was basically 1230pm.Jpro747 wrote:Presumably your partner was the driver? Why didn’t they want to drive back to the office?
-
Post12345
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
- Gender: Female
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Scarier than an actual gun..... for sure! The face of death I call it... makes a long few hours in a van eh! I feel your pain xSeagull1983 wrote:postmanzach wrote:Even more confused by you sittng in the van for an hour when you must be aware of PDA actuals.. wtf is going on in your head
I’m new, so what’s s pda actual ? The gun being pointed at me is a sarcastic woman with a face like thunder !! Maybe I’m overthinking it.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Glad I work alone in a van. But what's the point in running round knackering yourself and killing your body. Just to sit I the van for a hour bored. Take your time spread the work load and and you feel so much better for it.
I will be honest I used to rush round for the early flirt. But just ended up going home and sleeping. Buy now I start on time have my breaks don't rush and dont even lapse no more I feel 100% better. This PDA actuals has been the best thing to happen. I do less work now (minus the lapse) and I get home not feeling tired.
I will be honest I used to rush round for the early flirt. But just ended up going home and sleeping. Buy now I start on time have my breaks don't rush and dont even lapse no more I feel 100% better. This PDA actuals has been the best thing to happen. I do less work now (minus the lapse) and I get home not feeling tired.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Have you got Google maps on an Android phone? They're that, basically. If you carry a phone with you on delivery it'll tell you virtually the same thing. I wouldn't worry too much, they're not all that accurate so it's difficult to tell exactly what's going on.Seagull1983 wrote:I’m new, so what’s s pda actual ? The gun being pointed at me is a sarcastic woman with a face like thunder !! Maybe I’m overthinking it.postmanzach wrote:Even more confused by you sittng in the van for an hour when you must be aware of PDA actuals.. wtf is going on in your head
If you're gonna rush (don't) just head back to the office. As long as all the work is cleared there's not much they can do with you. If you want to scretch it out coz you're gonna be done early, which is what most do, just run all your packets out of your bag leaving you just mail and a sociable stroll to do
-
Biker Mouse
- Posts: 543
- Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
I asked to see, and saw, my pda actuals for my delivery. I was amazed at what they tell you. The detail is very accurate, even down to route, speed, timings......scary!postietom wrote:Have you got Google maps on an Android phone? They're that, basically. If you carry a phone with you on delivery it'll tell you virtually the same thing. I wouldn't worry too much, they're not all that accurate so it's difficult to tell exactly what's going on.Seagull1983 wrote:I’m new, so what’s s pda actual ? The gun being pointed at me is a sarcastic woman with a face like thunder !! Maybe I’m overthinking it.postmanzach wrote:Even more confused by you sittng in the van for an hour when you must be aware of PDA actuals.. wtf is going on in your head
If you're gonna rush (don't) just head back to the office. As long as all the work is cleared there's not much they can do with you. If you want to scretch it out coz you're gonna be done early, which is what most do, just run all your packets out of your bag leaving you just mail and a sociable stroll to do
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Yeah, I've worked with posties like this too....makes a long day even longerPost12345 wrote:Scarier than an actual gun..... for sure! The face of death I call it... makes a long few hours in a van eh! I feel your pain xSeagull1983 wrote:postmanzach wrote:Even more confused by you sittng in the van for an hour when you must be aware of PDA actuals.. wtf is going on in your head
I’m new, so what’s s pda actual ? The gun being pointed at me is a sarcastic woman with a face like thunder !! Maybe I’m overthinking it.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
raseth
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 20:10
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
If we cutoff what happens next day with cutoff ..???how cutoff be deliver..is there any policy .or?
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Try not to use the term "Cut Off", Managers don't like it and it can sound Aggressive.... "Well I'm going to Cut Off then"!raseth wrote:If we cutoff what happens next day with cutoff ..???how cutoff be deliver..is there any policy .or?
Whatever you leave behind should be delivered that day, by whatever means the DOM decides. Often they'll ask someone on a nearby duty if they want the overtime. If it's a nice Dry, Sunny day the manager might even take it out.
Sometimes they tell you, "Well it will still be there tomorrow when you come in", the answer to which is... "Well IF I've got enough time I'll deliver it then".
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
YOu know DP you give out really good advice, not enough people tell you that on here, very easy on the eyes to read and always bang on accurate. Maybe you should be your office rep.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Cheers mate, always nice to be appreciated.LaggyBand wrote:YOu know DP you give out really good advice, not enough people tell you that on here, very easy on the eyes to read and always bang on accurate. Maybe you should be your office rep.
My only reservation with becoming a Unit Rep is the fact that you have to deal with so many petty complaints from idiots. "Someone's taken my parking space"... "I keep getting Dog shite on my LWT wheels"... "My LWT keeps getting blown over when the bags are empty" all true complaints to our Rep.
I always support the Unit Rep, and do a bit of Informal coaching around the Office. This invariably takes place at the end of the day.
I probably will stand for Rep when our current one retires though. I don't think the DOM will like it.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Just curious as to why we shouldn't just take it all and ring them later if that's what is instructed?Dorset Plodder wrote:raseth wrote:If we cutoff what happens next day with cutoff ..???how cutoff be deliver..is there any policy .or?It's called Using the Over Running Procedure (which I'll admit is a mouthful). Once you've thrown off your mail, and realise you've got too much to deliver within your contracted hours (remembering that this includes your Meal Relief), you should tell the DOM. I normally say something like, "I've got too much mail to deliver today. I need to finish on time, and I can't do any overtime. .... What do you want about it"? The problem is your Managers not yours, leave it up to him to sort it out..... it's what he gets paid for. If you've already told him you don't want any overtime, that will take away his first option.
Don't listen if he says, "Well just take it out with you, and see how you go" or "Ring me near your finish time and we'll see how much you have" This is just Bullshit!
![]()
Genuine question. Every time I tell my manager I have to finish on time or by a certain time, i get the 'see how you get on' response. To which i assume means, if i cant complete then i should ring with an update as soon as possible.
The other response is a popular one in the office too, which is 'pull out' or 'thin' the mail.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
I think it's because some unscrupulous, ne'er do well types of DOMs or linos can stitch you up by denying they ever said such a thing and then you're open to charges of wilful delay
I know, it's hard to believe such nefarious types exist with RM management....
I know, it's hard to believe such nefarious types exist with RM management....
Last edited by crimson king on 02 Nov 2018, 17:52, edited 2 times in total.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Feeling rushed on a van share.
Have you ever tested the assumption that they mean you should ring them to see how you're getting on? How did it work out?
With our lot I can see it going something like this.....
" Hi, I'm ringing in as requested to update you on my progress"
"And?"
"Wel, there's no way I'm going yo be able to complete in time"
"How many loops have you got left?"
"2" by the time I'm due to finish"
"We haven't got anyone to cover them. You'll have finish it yourself....CLICK"
Genuine.
With our lot I can see it going something like this.....
" Hi, I'm ringing in as requested to update you on my progress"
"And?"
"Wel, there's no way I'm going yo be able to complete in time"
"How many loops have you got left?"
"2" by the time I'm due to finish"
"We haven't got anyone to cover them. You'll have finish it yourself....CLICK"
Genuine.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"