I agree, you could get pulled for it and my approach on probation would be much different to where im fully under contract - where i would take the 45 min round trip to the toilet without a 2nd thought if its the one stated for the duty, in fact id use it everyday. Once you have both feet through the door I suggest you can take on board the `doing your job properly` stuff but whilst on probation id probably just try to keep my nose clean.cookiewise wrote: The closest is a public toilet about 20mins walk from my route (all downhill there, uphill back). I would have to take my HCT. It would add 45mins to my route and I would DEFINITELY be pulled up for it.
Oh dear.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Doing the job properly
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3731
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
Cookiewise - Not sure if these are the current SSOW/Security procedures but they'll give you more of an idea:DrSatan wrote:Be careful with this as there are specific security rules regarding leaving the HCT unattended. I can't find the link, I'm sure someone will add it.cookiewise wrote: I use a very heavy HCT but fill a pouch with mail and parcels and try to take a full loop, returning to the trolley to refill as little as possible as that slows me down.
It states you can only leave it upto 10 minutes. Less time in less desirable areas. Locked onto something inmovable. And must carry all SD items on you when away from HCT. There is more but I can't remember of the top of my head.
As mentioned by a previous poster, following the 'rules' will add more time to a delivery. Pick and chose which rules you want to follow but just be careful as when/if something goes wrong it will be your fault and your job on the line.
HCT SSOW: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=46402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Delivery equipment security procedures: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... hp?id=4408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
If you were interviewed on a TV documentary about your experiences working in RM the company would be in so much trouble that it would likely get closed down. Goes to show some DOs are being run really really badly.cookiewise wrote:Thanks yellowbelly.yellowbelly wrote:When you trip or slip because you didn't notice the uneven path/pavement and you're off work, whose going to get the blame?cookiewise wrote: I always read the mail while moving otherwise stopping each time would take forever!
The recommended method is to deliver letters for an address, immediately look at the next letter for the next address you're going to, walk
there, checking for slip and trip hazards then flick check to get all the letters for that address and repeat ad nauseum.
There are weight limits for loading HCT and individual pouches - do you know them? Are you aware you can only leave a HCT unattended for a certain amount of timecookiewise wrote: I use a very heavy HCT but fill a pouch with mail and parcels and try to take a full loop, returning to the trolley to refill as little as possible as that slows me down.
(from a mail security point of view) Do you leave specials in it? Are all the locks serviceable?
After nine weeks I wouldn't take the risks above - as soon as one goes missing you're under the spotlight whilse still under probation.cookiewise wrote:... I have informal arrangements with some customers now who are happy if I leave parcels in their bunker, wendy house in the garden etc.
This is bad management - in the walk log (if you can find it) it should be listed where you can find a toilet. Make sure you take a break before you leavecookiewise wrote: I never take my break. There is no toilet en route nor is there anywhere I could sit so I am on the move the whole time.
and book any untaken break time.
Sorry to sound harsh but not really........cookiewise wrote:So I think that so far, I am doing the job properly.
They always do - their bonus depends on spending the least amount of budget on overtime they can. You're bound to be slow at this point.cookiewise wrote:Boss keeps telling me I'm too slow.
If you do the job properly now (flick check at the door, not cutting across gardens etc.) you will get faster doing the job 'properly'.
If you're trying to be fast now and not doing the job 'properly' you will be expected to get faster anyway but you will only be able to do that by taking more risks.
If you haven't done so already - join the Union and continue to use these forums. You get loads of good gen on how to do the job correctly
and when managers are attempting to take the mick.
I have never been instructed on any of the above. No idea specials had to stay on you at all times and there's no way to secure the HCT. I was given a tiny - thin cabled padlock thing - which I wouldn't consider secure enough for my bicycle. It wasn't long enough to go round a lamp-post. It disappeared in the DO after about 3 days. No idea what happened to it. I have not been told about time restrictions for leaving the HCT unattended. These are all things that should have been covered at either my induction or the couple of days when I shadowed an OPG.
I found the walk log but it's terribly out of date and is simply a list of postcodes, omitting a lot of my route. No toilets are anywhere near my walk and are not listed on the log (surprise surprise). The closest is a public toilet about 20mins walk from my route (all downhill there, uphill back). I would have to take my HCT. It would add 45mins to my route and I would DEFINITELY be pulled up for it. I see the weight limits written on the HCT but have no idea how to weigh the thing and nobody else in the DO weighs theirs. No idea how heavy a stuffed pouch is, but some days I have bruising on my shoulder and struggle to reach those pesky low level letter boxes.
Oh dear.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
panch1989 wrote:If your DOM says you're slow, ask him to accompany you and time the job. Probably too big and he will not bother you anymore
If he says they’d slow whilst cutting corners I’d start doing it properly and take ALOT longer
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
Postie45 wrote:I agree, you could get pulled for it and my approach on probation would be much different to where im fully under contract - where i would take the 45 min round trip to the toilet without a 2nd thought if its the one stated for the duty, in fact id use it everyday. Once you have both feet through the door I suggest you can take on board the `doing your job properly` stuff but whilst on probation id probably just try to keep my nose clean.cookiewise wrote: The closest is a public toilet about 20mins walk from my route (all downhill there, uphill back). I would have to take my HCT. It would add 45mins to my route and I would DEFINITELY be pulled up for it.
Oh dear.
You are my spirit animal
-
buzzboy
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 10:44
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
Many of these are never abided by .DrSatan wrote:It should have been coached to you when you started. But generally you shadow someone and end up picking up their habits and end up finding your own in time.
There isn't a comprehensive list as such that I know of but I'll attempt you list a few things.
Not reading the mail while walking. You're suppose to stand still while flick checking.
Using a trolley, unless already using an HCT.
No safe placing parcels unless stated on the parcel.
Not signing for recipients. (It happens alot, and some 'recipients' actually want the postie to do it).
Don't speed when driving.
Taking your break.
Not cutting through gardens/drives.
I'm sure there will be plenty more to add...
Some of them are almost impossible to prove .
I often commit misdemeanours and so do the best of us, but as a rule I tend to stick to procedure where a digital trace is in place (the PDA) and less worried about the other, in any case it pays to keep those specific habbits under you hat and assess time saved vs risk as you gain experience.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
Past couple of weeks, after a couple of near trips and stumbles, I've started not reading whilst walking and, surprisingly, I've become quicker. Not that I was considered 'slow' by anyone other than the DOM beforehand, ahem...
Letters in letterbox, glance at next address, walk and flick through on doorstep and repeat. It's a revelation I tell thee! Most importantly though, it means I'm less likely to slip or trip and end up on my arse.
Or walk my LWT through the endless supply of canine calling cards on the pavements of my duty
Letters in letterbox, glance at next address, walk and flick through on doorstep and repeat. It's a revelation I tell thee! Most importantly though, it means I'm less likely to slip or trip and end up on my arse.
Or walk my LWT through the endless supply of canine calling cards on the pavements of my duty
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.