ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Muscle recovery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Muscle recovery

Post by GT85 »

Try a soak in an Epsom Salts bath. :thumbup
We're all here because we're not all there
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Muscle recovery

Post by crimson king »

And, putting on my gym instructor's hat....

Stretching! Before and after. Do not underestimate the power of stretching. Get the blood and all the body's natural recovery response teams to those muscles even quicker. If you're not sure what stretches are best, Google and YouTube are your friends. I stretch my calves, back and shoulders regularly during the day. It's ridiculous, really, that we should have to, but we all know what we have to endure out there.

Oh, and as above, another advocate of Epson baths here.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Muscle recovery

Post by Rapidryan88 »

postslippete wrote:Have you tried Thai massage?? Best thing for relieving muscle/joint pain
No but I’ll look into it thank you :)
matt_1983
Posts: 39
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 08:39
Gender: Male

Muscle recovery

Post by matt_1983 »

wacko74 wrote:
Rapidryan88 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:It's crazy that people are having to resort to these measures of taking various supplements to try and help their bodies recover from this job, it's the kind of thing athletes might have to do to recover from high intensity competing or training... but I suspect the rewards they get for putting their bodies through so much pain and abuse are a lot better than around £11 ph!
My body is pretty weak which isn’t great and this weather isn’t helping and also money isn’t a problem cause it’s cheap so if this helps me have some more energy (I’m only a month into the job) then great because at the minute I’m aching and tired 24/7. And no way am I going back to my old job

You don't have to justify it, I wasn't criticising you, just saying that no job should leave people in actual physical pain at the end of their working day and needing supplements or even medication to recover from it!
Been in the job 11 years now and, at 34, i cannot imagine doing this for another 10 years let alone 20-30!

As well as the miles and miles of walking everyday (according to my phone its usually between 10 and 13) up and down steps and hills, theres also the early starts that really effect me. No matter how early i go to bed, i constantly feel tired, exhausted even, and even on days off have little energy to do anything even remotely physical.

The way things have gone over the last few years, bigger deliveries etc, this just feels like way too much hard work compared to when i started in 2007. Crazy to think that it is now the norm to be out delivering for a minimum 4 hours even on the lightest of days, and on even a slightly heavy day that could be 5.5 hours.

In our office we even get sent back out with packets or bits of undelivered lapsing etc if we get back to the office early. Absolutely soul destroying and such bad management to get back from a grueling delivery and be looked at and talked to as if youre some sort of con artist because you happen to be back an hour or so before your finish time.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Muscle recovery

Post by Rapidryan88 »

matt_1983 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:
Rapidryan88 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:It's crazy that people are having to resort to these measures of taking various supplements to try and help their bodies recover from this job, it's the kind of thing athletes might have to do to recover from high intensity competing or training... but I suspect the rewards they get for putting their bodies through so much pain and abuse are a lot better than around £11 ph!
My body is pretty weak which isn’t great and this weather isn’t helping and also money isn’t a problem cause it’s cheap so if this helps me have some more energy (I’m only a month into the job) then great because at the minute I’m aching and tired 24/7. And no way am I going back to my old job

You don't have to justify it, I wasn't criticising you, just saying that no job should leave people in actual physical pain at the end of their working day and needing supplements or even medication to recover from it!
Been in the job 11 years now and, at 34, i cannot imagine doing this for another 10 years let alone 20-30!

As well as the miles and miles of walking everyday (according to my phone its usually between 10 and 13) up and down steps and hills, theres also the early starts that really effect me. No matter how early i go to bed, i constantly feel tired, exhausted even, and even on days off have little energy to do anything even remotely physical.

The way things have gone over the last few years, bigger deliveries etc, this just feels like way too much hard work compared to when i started in 2007. Crazy to think that it is now the norm to be out delivering for a minimum 4 hours even on the lightest of days, and on even a slightly heavy day that could be 5.5 hours.

In our office we even get sent back out with packets or bits of undelivered lapsing etc if we get back to the office early. Absolutely soul destroying and such bad management to get back from a grueling delivery and be looked at and talked to as if youre some sort of con artist because you happen to be back an hour or so before your finish time.
Sorry to hear that, I can’t imagine how I’ll feel 10 years in if I last that long. I’m tired until my next shift at the minute lol and I’m only on 25 hours
Numberone63
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 621
Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
Gender: Male

Muscle recovery

Post by Numberone63 »

Currently I’m having to take two ibuprofen, two paracetamol+ and two Asda energy plus pills just before I go out on delivery. I forgot to take them one day last week and barely managed to get walk done. Aches and pains becoming ridiculous. Takes me two days to recover on my weeks off. Looking into these BCAA things now to see if they make my evenings any better recovery wise.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Muscle recovery

Post by Navalron »

Matt 1983. Well you know what to do. Make sure you go at a normal speed that will make you come in just before your time. Not rocket science and if your getting treated like a dafty do something about it. There is good managers in RM but there are a lot of w*****s who shouldn't be in charge of a five year olds birthday party never mind a d,o or hub.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Muscle recovery

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Numberone63 wrote:Currently I’m having to take two ibuprofen, two paracetamol+ and two Asda energy plus pills just before I go out on delivery. I forgot to take them one day last week and barely managed to get walk done. Aches and pains becoming ridiculous. Takes me two days to recover on my weeks off. Looking into these BCAA things now to see if they make my evenings any better recovery wise.
Goodluck mate I’m gonna start taking mine tonight, I hear magnesium is good for tired muscles also
Poole70
Posts: 21
Joined: 30 Jul 2015, 13:08
Gender: Male

Muscle recovery

Post by Poole70 »

Personally I think its essential to have a proper soak in a hot bath after a full time duty / walk...helps the muscles to recover properly , like athletes do.

I can definitely feel it the next day if I haven't had given my legs a good soak...where its been so hot recently I've been having a hot bath and then cooled off in the shower afterwards.

A combination of good hiking / walking shoes (definitely not RM issue shoes!) and a recuperative bath/soak each day is the best way to cope with what is becoming an increasingly tough workload imho.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Muscle recovery

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Poole70 wrote:Personally I think its essential to have a proper soak in a hot bath after a full time duty / walk...helps the muscles to recover properly , like athletes do.

I can definitely feel it the next day if I haven't had given my legs a good soak...where its been so hot recently I've been having a hot bath and then cooled off in the shower afterwards.

A combination of good hiking / walking shoes (definitely not RM issue shoes!) and a recuperative bath/soak each day is the best way to cope with what is becoming an increasingly tough workload imho.
I agree with that, throw some magnesium flakes in and wow it’s really helpful! The hot weather is making my feet hurt More I think