ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Allocated holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by cpsteve »

97gaz wrote:
cpsteve wrote: just ask what other dates are free and you should be able to pick from that list.
There's not supposed to be any dates free. The Doms or whoever does the leave should make sure that all holidays are allocated in the leave plan at the end of October-ish. The manpower plan for the next year should be complete by then and include all leave for the following year. A lot of these queries about leave bring me to the conclusion that offices are still allocating on seniority when they shouldn't be.
Well as long as ive been working for the R.M there has always been untaken weeks/free spots so you can change your picked/allocated weeks.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
postbuster
Posts: 41
Joined: 14 Jun 2017, 12:58
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by postbuster »

Following up creating the topic, I found out earlier in the week that the holiday has been allocated. My only hope is a swap with someone. It's not a great introduction to the business. It hardly promotes a work/life balance when you look at the leave they've booked with zero choice.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by crimson king »

We're still waiting for our leave to be sorted and I'm a bit nervous tbh. It's done on seniority apparently, so as a newbie I'm way down the pecking order. I've three daughters in three different schools so if I don't get my pick of August that'd mean no family summer holiday away for the first time in ten years.
Which would suck...
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Allocated holidays

Post by NewPostieUK »

crimson king wrote: no family summer holiday away for the first time in ten years.
Look on the bright side, 9 out of 10 isn't bad. I had 1 in 10 years.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by cpsteve »

97gaz wrote:
cpsteve wrote:
97gaz wrote:
cpsteve wrote: just ask what other dates are free and you should be able to pick from that list.
There's not supposed to be any dates free. The Doms or whoever does the leave should make sure that all holidays are allocated in the leave plan at the end of October-ish. The manpower plan for the next year should be complete by then and include all leave for the following year. A lot of these queries about leave bring me to the conclusion that offices are still allocating on seniority when they shouldn't be.
Well as long as ive been working for the R.M there has always been untaken weeks/free spots so you can change your picked/allocated weeks.
Not sure how that works. You will have an exact amount of reserves to cover all the leave over the year which means you can only let a certain amount of people off each week.

I do the leave at my office. Every single day of everyones leave which totals over 400 weeks is allocated for 2018-19. There is not one spare day.
Well in the office i work we were told we had to use all of our built up days last year and we got a list of all the available weeks there were plenty.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by crimson king »

NewPostieUK wrote:
crimson king wrote: no family summer holiday away for the first time in ten years.
Look on the bright side, 9 out of 10 isn't bad. I had 1 in 10 years.
Ha ha, yes, quite. I'm quickly learning that working for RM has a lot to do with perception!
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Allocated holidays

Post by DGH »

cpsteve wrote:
Well in the office i work we were told we had to use all of our built up days last year and we got a list of all the available weeks there were plenty.

I think it depends on the office, to be honest.

We keep being told that 'leave weeks are full' so holiday can't be taken (but mysteriously if you offer to swap a rest day from another week then you can usually have the requested day off).
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by greengiant »

crimson king wrote:We're still waiting for our leave to be sorted and I'm a bit nervous tbh. It's done on seniority apparently, so as a newbie I'm way down the pecking order. I've three daughters in three different schools so if I don't get my pick of August that'd mean no family summer holiday away for the first time in ten years.
Which would suck...
You might find there may be people wishing to swap holidays. Personally as a single person myself with no kids I prefer taking holidays outwith the "school holiday" period.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by Celgar »

Our D/O still uses the seniority system for allocating annual leave although we alternate the order so one year top to bottom then next year bottom to top. Some staff still grumble though and say it should be top to bottom every year.Signing for deliveries also uses the seniority system too. I am fully aware this is illegal under European law. As far as I know the seniority system is used at all D/O in our area.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by crimson king »

97gaz wrote:
crimson king wrote:We're still waiting for our leave to be sorted and I'm a bit nervous tbh. It's done on seniority apparently, so as a newbie I'm way down the pecking order. I've three daughters in three different schools so if I don't get my pick of August that'd mean no family summer holiday away for the first time in ten years.
Which would suck...
Seniority is not allowed now when allocating leave. I think it's in the 2010 agreement?
Yes, I have read as much on here in various threads, but if that's how it's done there's not much I can do about it really, is there?

No one's going to appreciate a newbie questioning a system that's been in place for ages, so I'll just sit tight and see if I get my picks before panicking too much. My duty partner says it normally works out so I'll hope for the best for now.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
kookoo32
Posts: 187
Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
Gender: Male
Location: scotland

Allocated holidays

Post by kookoo32 »

Holidays are allocated in our office and have been ever since I remember. This leads to around 80% of the office swapping. It's a shambles for the management to sort out the swaps and my heart bleeds for them :Boo hoo!
postbuster
Posts: 41
Joined: 14 Jun 2017, 12:58
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by postbuster »

Days are non negiotable. My holidays are sorted. It's great that I don't have a life outside of work or planned things before I joined RM. A long weekend, birthdays, milestone events. This could be the final nail in the coffin.

:Boo hoo!
postbuster
Posts: 41
Joined: 14 Jun 2017, 12:58
Gender: Male

Allocated holidays

Post by postbuster »

Is this the sort of issue where a Union Rep would advise? Or do they have no influence in regards to where holidays are concerned.