Excuse = to gain more of next day delivery market.
Reason = to save RM money and ultimately deliver bigger profits and dividends to your shareholders.
Come on RM we are not dotards
If the next day market is that important to your operations how about coming clean with your workforce by telling us what extra % of packets would moving the pipeline generate. You must have done some kind of modelling? How about sharing this FACT hmmm? Or perhaps not because it probably hasn't been done?
Once we all start going down this road of darkness and the unknown sure enough our terms and conditions will be eroded not only that the turnover in staff will be immense they just are bumming around hoping things will workout kind of attitude management and directors. Who don't even know the meaning of work just ask MOYA what work is in fact tell her justsayit@royalmail.com but don't leave your real name as the gestapo management will be on your case!
Even if the "capturing the next day delivery market" is a genuine reason, the later start time will have a major impact on our rate of "successful first time delivery"... I've done pkt duties most Christmases and you can get rid of most pkts between 7-10am, after that the number of people in tails off rapidly.
wacko74 wrote:Even if the "capturing the next day delivery market" is a genuine reason, the later start time will have a major impact on our rate of "successful first time delivery"... I've done pkt duties most Christmases and you can get rid of most pkts between 7-10am, after that the number of people in tails off rapidly.
Cut off's will also sky rocket during the dark nights. And less will get done because we will be a lot slower in the dark and we will have to take into account rush hour traffic.
Edit they will also struggle to get stuff done with overtime because people won't do it at them times.
Good point. A relative has Amazon Prime which comes with free next day delivery as standard - apparently they can elect a non-next day service instead and get vouchers in return.
I'm not a massive online shopper being a bloke in his middle ages but even when I order something and really want it, one extra day will rarely make one jot of difference.
If I've forgotten the missus' birthday for instance, I won't be googling away, hoping it'll arrive by 6pm next day for heaven's sake! I needed it yesterday, I needed it now - saying it'll be here tomorrow before nightfall (I hope - after all the shops have already shut though...) no way.
worktotime wrote:the whole thing is about them saving money and massive job losses , so by starting later in deliverys getting out at 12 or whatever they want that will open the market for companys to deliver early mornings 7 - 12 say , so we lose on that and what about 9am - 1pm specials which is the all singing and dancing money earners , they will go as well , these people running the company are clueless .
You are quite right, they are clueless,we are indeed lions ,led by donkeys. I have said it before and I will say it again, there is more than enough work to complement and enhance the existing model of delivery,so why not recruit people to do these packets, that are wanted the next day? Or are we suddenly not talking about that many?
becuase they want to offload it onto us and not create more jobs but cut them and expect us the already strained workers to take on more and more
wacko74 wrote:Even if the "capturing the next day delivery market" is a genuine reason, the later start time will have a major impact on our rate of "successful first time delivery"... I've done pkt duties most Christmases and you can get rid of most pkts between 7-10am, after that the number of people in tails off rapidly.
Cut off's will also sky rocket during the dark nights. And less will get done because we will be a lot slower in the dark and we will have to take into account rush hour traffic.
Edit they will also struggle to get stuff done with overtime because people won't do it at them times.
Sadly not true as you will "own" the walk.
So it's your responsibility to do all the work. Even if your out delivering till 10pm.....
wacko74 wrote:Even if the "capturing the next day delivery market" is a genuine reason, the later start time will have a major impact on our rate of "successful first time delivery"... I've done pkt duties most Christmases and you can get rid of most pkts between 7-10am, after that the number of people in tails off rapidly.
Cut off's will also sky rocket during the dark nights. And less will get done because we will be a lot slower in the dark and we will have to take into account rush hour traffic.
Edit they will also struggle to get stuff done with overtime because people won't do it at them times.
Sadly not true as you will "own" the walk.
So it's your responsibility to do all the work. Even if your out delivering till 10pm.....
I am hoping thats the part they will drop making you think your getting a good deal.
conman wrote:isn't it all about sorting the 2nd class at night in the mailcentres so they can make the whole of the early processing shift redundant
It's about getting us all what ever function in the business to do another persons job so you would be doing two job's for even less money as your pay rise is not a rise but a bribe this affects us all let's stand together vote together and vote YES!
wacko74 wrote:Even if the "capturing the next day delivery market" is a genuine reason, the later start time will have a major impact on our rate of "successful first time delivery"... I've done pkt duties most Christmases and you can get rid of most pkts between 7-10am, after that the number of people in tails off rapidly.
I don't doubt that this is the case. How many of the people who order online in the few hours before midnight 'for next day delivery' are actually at home when it is delivered? They won't know if their packet was put through the door 5 minutes after they went out the door, or 8 hours after FFS!
One thing puzzles me about changing the pipeline to accept later parcels. You would think that a pipeline as big as Royal Mail's which delivers to 30 million addresses in the UK (probably a few more now due to new builds) would be able to deliver parcels more efficiently than our competitors anyway?? And more to the point, why is it all suddenly about delivering/capturing parcels to customers quicker than anyone else??
Personally, on small and light parcels there isn't anyone else to beat Royal Mail. And as for other couriers I've find UPS to be the most expensive, I've claimed for damaged goods from FedEx - and its a minimum claim for the cost price of the goods of at least £20 - and I've had a parcel from myHermes that was just slung over the back gate!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.