Boris111 wrote:Phantom. ''Tis to be hoped that you are not I an office where the managers check. It is part of YOUR job to deliver to neighbour if possible!! We've had posties hauled in front of management on conduct when managers have subsequently discovered the lack of DTN attempt!!
Don't have the time, I would have to leave a loop or two everyday in order to do this. And if you don't feel its a safe place, you don't do it.
Claiming you don't have time to do it is a poor excuse. It can be quicker to deliver a parcel to a neighbour who is at their door offering to take the item in than the time taken to write out a P739 and deal with undelivered items on your return to the delivery office.
The only items that can be left in a designated safe place are tracked items but only if it is stated on the item and the safe place is secure. If it is not then you should try delivering to a neighbour.
so say i knock, start writing the basics on a 739 like date town, nobody is coming, fill in the personal details, 1 more knock and post 739
you say it's quicker to knock and wait, then walk to a neighbour, knock and wait again, either way you then must still go back to recipients house to leave whatever the outcome of the parcel?
miles quicker yes!
St1983 wrote:Is there an option on the the pda when u leave with neighbour?
Doesn't appear to be. For a signed for tracked, I put the house number & neighbours surname in the name box. At least that way when the customer does a track and trace, they can see where it's been delivered too (and I leave a card, saying item is with neighbour, obviously)
St1983 wrote:Is there an option on the the pda when u leave with neighbour?
Doesn't appear to be. For a signed for tracked, I put the house number & neighbours surname in the name box. At least that way when the customer does a track and trace, they can see where it's been delivered too (and I leave a card, saying item is with neighbour, obviously)
The whole procedure has holes in it you could drive a bus through - if it's not your route do you actually know the name
that the neighbour has given is actually their name? Is that spider squiggle on the PDA actually the neighbours signature?
Did you rescan the item at the neigbours doorstep to show you actually went there or did you only scan at the original doorstep
(where the GPS reading is taken) and then walk to neigbours house with the original scan still open?
Perhaps someone in the know could clarify if a second GPS reading is taken when/where the signature is submitted....
Are we supposed to scan it first as 'Not Delivered - No Answer' then make a second scan at the neighbours house for DTN
so the GPS is accurate?
Of course it's got holes in the plan, it was devised by a Royal Mail,manager clown.
Firstly,it may well by a Royal Mail standard,however it is still my udgement, therefore I don't attempt it, if it goes missing,then homdo they come to first? Me of course. Secondly if I am a reserve, how am I supposed to know who,gets on with who,neighbourly wise, I don't and I am not getting involved in any disputes,there is enough aggro in this job, inside without it being outside as eell.
If Royal Mail had confidence in us delivering to neighbours there would be a "Delivered to Neighbour" option on the PDA.
There isn't so I don't and to my knowledge that has never caused anyone a problem.
I was told by a customer to deliver next door if out. When I tried the person stuck his head out of the upstairs window and yelled "what do you want?" When I said could I leave his neighbours parcel , he said I'll not coming down the stairs for that!
Wont waste my time in future!
And who hasn't knocked on neighbours doors only to be grumbled that they are shift workers and you woke them up! So I now never deliver to neighbour unless the neighbour actually comes out and said they will take it.
Nickvilla20 wrote:Think SOB actually sounds like a Parody account to be honest most managers don't talk all the drivel
At our office we now have managers checking our tracked to see if we bought any back and why we didn't try up to ten neighbours
Not sure where I'm supposed to find the time from.
TEN neighbours My partner and I regularly take back 5 or 6 Tracked in a day. If you haven't got the time, you haven't got the time and it's that simple.
Nickvilla20 wrote:Think SOB actually sounds like a Parody account to be honest most managers don't talk all the drivel
At our office we now have managers checking our tracked to see if we bought any back and why we didn't try up to ten neighbours
Not sure where I'm supposed to find the time from.
so if you have just say 5 tracked 739s on a day, how long to attempt to each of up to 10 neighbours ? id imagine at least 1 minute per neighbour -30 seconds to walk to their door, 30 seconds to wait for response. so potentially 5 packages x 1 minute x 10 neighbours = 50 minutes, and thats just on 5 tracked !
Nickvilla20 wrote:Think SOB actually sounds like a Parody account to be honest most managers don't talk all the drivel
At our office we now have managers checking our tracked to see if we bought any back and why we didn't try up to ten neighbours
Not sure where I'm supposed to find the time from.
so if you have just say 5 tracked 739s on a day, how long to attempt to each of up to 10 neighbours ? id imagine at least 1 minute per neighbour -30 seconds to walk to their door, 30 seconds to wait for response. so potentially 5 packages x 1 minute x 10 neighbours = 50 minutes, and thats just on 5 tracked !
Just means larger cut-offs for the DOM to deal with
If you have time within your duty then fair enough try a neighbour but can only imagine the employment tribunal for unfair dismissal
"so you didn't have any extra allocated time within your contracted hours to try a neighbour? Also you didn't feel it was safe to leave in the blue bin so protected the mails integrity and followed the correct procedures"
Royal Mail had better ring o.j simpsons legal team with that 1
St1983 wrote:Is there an option on the the pda when u leave with neighbour?
No, but there should be. At the moment if you scan a tracked item and tap delivered the notification on track and trace reads something along of the lines of "your parcel has been delivered to you or a neighbour". I suspect that this could be the reason for why so many complaints in our office are denial of receipt. I imagine there'll be some customers who will 'try it on' by picking their parcel up from their neighbour then claiming they didn't receive the parcel or that no card was left to let them know where their parcel is.
Momo90210 wrote:If you have time within your duty then fair enough try a neighbour but can only imagine the employment tribunal for unfair dismissal
"so you didn't have any extra allocated time within your contracted hours to try a neighbour? Also you didn't feel it was safe to leave in the blue bin so protected the mails integrity and followed the correct procedures"
Royal Mail had better ring o.j simpsons legal team with that 1
We have been instructed by management that even if a parcel specifies a safe place as 'leave in x bin' not to leave in said bin. Our office is defying what the customer wants which equals complaints. In the same way that if the postie leave the parcel in bin as specified on safe place and then bin gets emptied that is also the posties fault which equals complaints. Can't win.
We've had people get suspended for leaving parcels in bins so if a manager tells me to leave in a safe place that i think isnt secure then unfortunately I'll be telling them no and if they would kindly like to suspend me and sack me I'll be dusting off my suit and seeing them at the tribunal because there is zero chance these uneducated unqualified morons will win as you have protected the mail and worked your contracted hours
Try a neighbor? I battered a neighbour's door and the fellah across the street said the guy was on nightshift. Is RM going to back up a postie who was waylaid for disturbing a man's sleep. In the old days this would be like waking people up at 4 in the morning to ask if they'd take a packet for their neighbour. Where I deliver people are on c***able shifts, so now I don't rap neighbour's doors, if they ordred something then they know it's coming. We have to sign off from our DO at the end of our shift so have to go back whether we need to or not, so everything does back. Is this the case for elsewhere?