ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Business improvement

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by Decky Boy »

Hundreds of hours per week could be saved by bagging CDV (Van Share Duties) loops into satchels rather than pouch bags :wink: It ain't rocket science and would save £thousands each week ??? It takes time to tip out a pouch and reload it into a satchel for delivery. Why load the god damm mail into nylon pouch bags... it doesn't make any sense to me... it certainly isn't the most efficient way of doing things ? ? ?
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by postslippete »

We need more van drivers!! Everybody should be able to drive and should therefore have access to their very own van. There will be no more problems doing any extra lapsing because we all work for ourselves.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by Decky Boy »

So an extra 10 or 20,000 vans on the street... REALLY ? ? ?
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by greengiant »

Decky Boy wrote:Hundreds of hours per week could be saved by bagging CDV (Van Share Duties) loops into satchels rather than pouch bags :wink: It ain't rocket science and would save £thousands each week ??? It takes time to tip out a pouch and reload it into a satchel for delivery. Why load the god damm mail into nylon pouch bags... it doesn't make any sense to me... it certainly isn't the most efficient way of doing things ? ? ?
A few duties I've worked on had the walk holders loading the mail into trays! Then spend time hunting in the back of the van for the right tray for the next loop...
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by rambo1 »

Decky Boy wrote:Hundreds of hours per week could be saved by bagging CDV (Van Share Duties) loops into satchels rather than pouch bags :wink: It ain't rocket science and would save £thousands each week ??? It takes time to tip out a pouch and reload it into a satchel for delivery. Why load the god damm mail into nylon pouch bags... it doesn't make any sense to me... it certainly isn't the most efficient way of doing things ? ? ?
Do the satchels fit on lwt's. I have no experience of them.
plaguelift
Posts: 133
Joined: 19 Apr 2011, 06:16
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by plaguelift »

Stop the van share. It just doesnt work in most cases. Bring back the bikes. People walking 8+ miles a day is just knackering the workforce.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Business improvement

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

rambo1 wrote:
Decky Boy wrote:Hundreds of hours per week could be saved by bagging CDV (Van Share Duties) loops into satchels rather than pouch bags :wink: It ain't rocket science and would save £thousands each week ??? It takes time to tip out a pouch and reload it into a satchel for delivery. Why load the god damm mail into nylon pouch bags... it doesn't make any sense to me... it certainly isn't the most efficient way of doing things ? ? ?
Do the satchels fit on lwt's. I have no experience of them.
Yes there are hooks on the trolley that fit into catches on the back of the Pouches.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

blackburn12 wrote:Hello everyone. Recently, like most people who work for RM I filled in the employee survey and I noticed a little section where you can fill in comments. Not entirely sure if the powers that be take on board what is written in that section and I hope they do. This brings me to my post. Currently I am writing a business improvement plan from the perspective of a postperson. Some people will say it's a waste of time as nothing ever gets done but I have secured a meeting with very high management within Royal Mail to listen to what the staff have to say. This has probably been attempted in the past but as staff members we need to voice our potential improvements. If anybody has any ideas of how the business can be improved please post a reply and if it's an idea that's positive I will add it. I have a degree in business management with honours so personally I can see and propose the way forward. Any negative posts will be ignored as well any derogatory comments. Let's get together and make our workplace great again.

Thanks

Good for you Blackburn for showing initiative. Predictably there will be those who scoff at you for having a business degree or ponder whether you are a CWU member or not. I am degree educated also - to Masters level in fact - and like yourself I can assess things objectively and see the bigger picture. All too often if you have a degree or two you are looked down upon by those who think being in the union entitles them to an easy life and somehow they deserve it.

As for suggestions for business improvement one of the little things that irritates me daily is the sight of colleagues rushing around pillaging the fittings in search of elastic bands. How hard is it to put the elastic bands from your bundles in your pocket as you are delivering so that you have a supply of bands available to you the next day?

I would also like to see EVERYONE working their contracted hours. What other business would allow their employees to bunk off an hour early? If people get back early then managers need to start making people put door to doors in fittings or other tasks to fill contracted hours.
houseoflords
Posts: 352
Joined: 06 Feb 2012, 22:25
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by houseoflords »

Why are you bothering Blackburn, they'll just use your ideas and get the credit for it, wouldn't waste my time if I was you, mine went in the bin not worth the effort
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by Acca Dacca »

SierraOscarBravo wrote:
blackburn12 wrote:Hello everyone. Recently, like most people who work for RM I filled in the employee survey and I noticed a little section where you can fill in comments. Not entirely sure if the powers that be take on board what is written in that section and I hope they do. This brings me to my post. Currently I am writing a business improvement plan from the perspective of a postperson. Some people will say it's a waste of time as nothing ever gets done but I have secured a meeting with very high management within Royal Mail to listen to what the staff have to say. This has probably been attempted in the past but as staff members we need to voice our potential improvements. If anybody has any ideas of how the business can be improved please post a reply and if it's an idea that's positive I will add it. I have a degree in business management with honours so personally I can see and propose the way forward. Any negative posts will be ignored as well any derogatory comments. Let's get together and make our workplace great again.

Thanks

Good for you Blackburn for showing initiative. Predictably there will be those who scoff at you for having a business degree or ponder whether you are a CWU member or not. I am degree educated also - to Masters level in fact - and like yourself I can assess things objectively and see the bigger picture. All too often if you have a degree or two you are looked down upon by those who think being in the union entitles them to an easy life and somehow they deserve it.

As for suggestions for business improvement one of the little things that irritates me daily is the sight of colleagues rushing around pillaging the fittings in search of elastic bands. How hard is it to put the elastic bands from your bundles in your pocket as you are delivering so that you have a supply of bands available to you the next day?

I would also like to see EVERYONE working their contracted hours. What other business would allow their employees to bunk off an hour early? If people get back early then managers need to start making people put door to doors in fittings or other tasks to fill contracted hours.
looking through your post history - you are one for the watching.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by postslippete »

Decky Boy wrote:So an extra 10 or 20,000 vans on the street... REALLY ? ? ?

We all said when they introduced park and loop with every pair going out in a shared van, that it must be costing the business money. The cost of the vans itself, petrol, tax, insurance, maintenance etc etc compared to how we used to do deliveries in our own private vehicle or using a post cycle. Yet, its been over 4 years doing things way and there have been no plans to revert back to the old methods as far as I am aware. The shared van idea could be considered inefficient in the sense that both posties don't always finish their loops at the same time. This is often the case when one person is the driver and is expected to deliver large parcels and the specials as well. I've seen many arguments take place between posties and those that don't want to work with someone simply because they are too fast or slow are quite common. So it might produce a happier and therefore more productive environment.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
teesdale
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 430
Joined: 24 Nov 2007, 16:31

Business improvement

Post by teesdale »

At Bristol Mail Centre it always seems to be about making things more inefficient and new ideas to make the work take longer to do. Add to this a dumbing down of everything with removing every last bit of responsibility and trust that the staff had, I now walk about totally switched off all day. I probably do about half of what I used to do. No manager listens to a word I say. I shall soon be so invisible I will work part time although I am full time.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by wacko74 »

teesdale wrote:At Bristol Mail Centre it always seems to be about making things more inefficient and new ideas to make the work take longer to do. Add to this a dumbing down of everything with removing every last bit of responsibility and trust that the staff had, I now walk about totally switched off all day. I probably do about half of what I used to do. No manager listens to a word I say. I shall soon be so invisible I will work part time although I am full time.
Seems to be about right from what I've seen and heard when it comes to MC work.

Just can't understand why the business is so obsessed with crucifying deliveries looking for more and more 'efficiency' that simply isn't achievable, whilst MC's still have working practices that are more akin to the 1970's
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Business improvement

Post by fb1969 »

A few simple things would help.

1. Stop treating delivery staff like dirt (being polite).

2. Employ managers who can manage people, not those whose only ability is bullying.

3. Listen to the people that do the job, not those who have never delivered anything in their life - but have a degree and a computer.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Business improvement

Post by lightningpostman »

business needs to focus on area's that are bleeding money and focus there attention on inefficient DO's/mc's.

not generalize the business as a whole.