one problem i have with that is the OT rate is pretty poor, "ghost" overtime has been the way managers have dealt with this with many posties not seeing the OT rate as worthwhile.Judgee wrote:Ghost overtime is becoming a thing of the past and it's time some people woke up to that fact. If you got three hours for it, completed it within three hours or less and are happy with it just ignore the idiots.
There will come a day (and it won't be long) when there will be zero ghost overtime, enjoy every minutes free pay now while you can! :crazy:
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Packets per hour
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Packets per hour
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Packets per hour
Postie45 wrote:one problem i have with that is the OT rate is pretty poor, "ghost" overtime has been the way managers have dealt with this with many posties not seeing the OT rate as worthwhile.Judgee wrote:Ghost overtime is becoming a thing of the past and it's time some people woke up to that fact. If you got three hours for it, completed it within three hours or less and are happy with it just ignore the idiots.
There will come a day (and it won't be long) when there will be zero ghost overtime, enjoy every minutes free pay now while you can!
It's not worth while and hasn't been for some time. But people with families and bills to pay have no choice and they will have no choice when ghost overtime stops for good. Basically the management knows that there are many that need every penny they can get and will still do o/t even if it's only paid to the exact minute that has been worked!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Packets per hour
A few years ago we used to get 2 hours docket before you even lifted a finger. Those days have goneJudgee wrote:Ghost overtime is becoming a thing of the past and it's time some people woke up to that fact. If you got three hours for it, completed it within three hours or less and are happy with it just ignore the idiots.
There will come a day (and it won't be long) when there will be zero ghost overtime, enjoy every minutes free pay now while you can!
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
Kings Norton
- Posts: 320
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
- Gender: Male
Packets per hour
Firstly pressure does not start till Dec 5th.. Packets per hour does not exist don't let the DOM give you crap over that depending on the area you cover. Myself personally would do 12 per hour that's allowing me 5 mins per packet plus travel time.ScousePostie wrote:Hi,
Today was the first day of pressure in our office, officially. I was asked did I want to do 43 packets on overtime which DOM put in 3 hours for, I was pretty happy with this myself. Colleagues told me that this was not enough hours for the amount of packets I was doing. I've worked at Royal Mail for two years this month and ever since I started doing overtime on a regular basis, I've been told many different figures on how many packets we are expected to attempt to deliver per hour.
I was told by a senior colleague that the rate of packets per hour is 16, but I have been told many figures. By my calculation, if packets per hour is 16, times by 3 hours is 48, so 43 packets for 3 hours I still think it quite fair. I was wondering if anyone could clarify what the rate of packets per hour is, is there a national agreement with the union on this, for example?
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Packets per hour
Call it what you want but if you don't get an enhanced pay rate I won't be working over
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Packets per hour
Whatever your packet delivery rate per hour is, it will most likely drop significantly if you are delivering after dark, so don't forget to factor that into any agreement you make with your lino 
-
carpathia_kuja
- Posts: 86
- Joined: 19 Apr 2009, 20:24
- Gender: Male
- Location: Toon
Packets per hour
I did 91 in five hours recently and that included waiting in traffic and in the dark, still had to take packets back too. Many things come into play such as, how well you know the area/s, rush hour traffic, the dark, how long people take to come to the door (very annoying when you do packets at abnormal royal mail times because they creep to the door wondering who it is, and then begin saying "you're out late aren't you" & when you walk away after handing them a packet they say "do I not need to sign?" That wastes time too, I mean why would you start walking away if they needed to sign.), also packets may slide all over the van so re arranging them takes time, and as normal whether you have to knock on neighbours should they not answer, or leave in a safe place, or simply dispatching then doing all of those take up extra time anyways. I can understand why there is no national agreed limit so use your own intuition.
-
GT750rider
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 216
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
- Gender: Male
Packets per hour
Anyone been in the job long enough to remember " booking through " ? An example is when you were on delivery ,i.e. 0500-1310, and you had overtime in the afternoon but that didn't start till 1500, you'd be booked through from 1310-1500. You'd scrape around looking for something to do, but like as not there wouldn't be.Pompey Boy wrote:A few years ago we used to get 2 hours docket before you even lifted a finger. Those days have goneJudgee wrote:Ghost overtime is becoming a thing of the past and it's time some people woke up to that fact. If you got three hours for it, completed it within three hours or less and are happy with it just ignore the idiots.
There will come a day (and it won't be long) when there will be zero ghost overtime, enjoy every minutes free pay now while you can!
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Packets per hour
It all depends on the time of day as well. Im currently doing packets from 2pm til 7pm and I can quite easily do 23-25 calls per hour in the same area on a duty I know really well. That drops to around 15 per hour when it's getting dark, can't see the numbers properly,and I have to sit in school traffic. I would consider myself fairly quick when it comes to packets although I do know some areas better than others so I would say over a 5 hour period which includes 3 trips back to the office to unload and load up I can shift 75 packets in 5 hours and that is not taking a break. I have agreed to take my break at the end of the shift as overtime. Any advise for people doing packets is to ask to management or Dom Support to print off sheets with every street name on per walk so that when you load up you can write house numbers next to the streets which does save 5 to 10 minutes when loading up.
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Packets per hour
Book through - those were the daysGT750rider wrote:Anyone been in the job long enough to remember " booking through " ? An example is when you were on delivery ,i.e. 0500-1310, and you had overtime in the afternoon but that didn't start till 1500, you'd be booked through from 1310-1500. You'd scrape around looking for something to do, but like as not there wouldn't be.Pompey Boy wrote:A few years ago we used to get 2 hours docket before you even lifted a finger. Those days have goneJudgee wrote:Ghost overtime is becoming a thing of the past and it's time some people woke up to that fact. If you got three hours for it, completed it within three hours or less and are happy with it just ignore the idiots.
There will come a day (and it won't be long) when there will be zero ghost overtime, enjoy every minutes free pay now while you can!
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
Northblue82
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 28 Sep 2015, 19:01
- Gender: Male
Packets per hour
Union rep told us it had been agreed that it would be 15 packets per hour for the lad's on the packet runs.