ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Scan-dal

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12202
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by SpacePhoenix »

I think it's intend atm so that when an office dispatches stuff to another office, the receiving office can in theory se exactly how many items they've got coming in
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by Zicomurphy »

One colleague of mine reckons the main reason for scanning 2D barcodes, with all the additional information they contain, is to turn that info into mailing lists they can then sell to potential advertisers. For example a scan may contain the info the parcel was sent by a clothing company and the name and address where it was sent, that info can then be sold to similar clothing companies.
BB brother
Posts: 193
Joined: 19 May 2007, 01:41

Scan-dal

Post by BB brother »

Shaders wrote:
BB brother wrote:Has anyone else had one of those letters on Scanning sent to their house today ?

What a nerve !!

I didn't realise we were doing worktime briefings in our own homes now !
If RM send me any more of these I will personally roll it up and shove it up Moyas' Pension Hole. I'm booking 3 hours overtime tomorrow. 5 minutes for reading it and 2 hours 55 for the anger and incredulity !!

You should have read it, it would have been much quicker than to go to the time and effort to come on here and tell us all how unhappy you were.
Good to know your thinking of the company in you own time :left:

I did read it you burk !
Il do what I want on my own time thank you very much.

It was so lame I think it should be classed as door2door so at least I get paid for delivering it to myself.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by aiden01 »

BB brother wrote:
Shaders wrote:
BB brother wrote:Has anyone else had one of those letters on Scanning sent to their house today ?

What a nerve !!

I didn't realise we were doing worktime briefings in our own homes now !
If RM send me any more of these I will personally roll it up and shove it up Moyas' Pension Hole. I'm booking 3 hours overtime tomorrow. 5 minutes for reading it and 2 hours 55 for the anger and incredulity !!

You should have read it, it would have been much quicker than to go to the time and effort to come on here and tell us all how unhappy you were.
Good to know your thinking of the company in you own time :left:

I did read it you burk !
Il do what I want on my own time thank you very much.

It was so lame I think it should be classed as door2door so at least I get paid for delivering it to myself.
You dont get paid for delivering d2d anymore :Very Happy
BB brother
Posts: 193
Joined: 19 May 2007, 01:41

Scan-dal

Post by BB brother »

aiden01 wrote:
BB brother wrote:
Shaders wrote:
BB brother wrote:Has anyone else had one of those letters on Scanning sent to their house today ?

What a nerve !!

I didn't realise we were doing worktime briefings in our own homes now !
If RM send me any more of these I will personally roll it up and shove it up Moyas' Pension Hole. I'm booking 3 hours overtime tomorrow. 5 minutes for reading it and 2 hours 55 for the anger and incredulity !!

You should have read it, it would have been much quicker than to go to the time and effort to come on here and tell us all how unhappy you were.
Good to know your thinking of the company in you own time :left:

I did read it you burk !
Il do what I want on my own time thank you very much.

It was so lame I think it should be classed as door2door so at least I get paid for delivering it to myself.
You dont get paid for delivering d2d anymore :Very Happy
I don't get paid anyway.. I'm Collections :)
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by aiden01 »

BB brother wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
BB brother wrote:
Shaders wrote:
BB brother wrote:Has anyone else had one of those letters on Scanning sent to their house today ?

What a nerve !!

I didn't realise we were doing worktime briefings in our own homes now !
If RM send me any more of these I will personally roll it up and shove it up Moyas' Pension Hole. I'm booking 3 hours overtime tomorrow. 5 minutes for reading it and 2 hours 55 for the anger and incredulity !!

You should have read it, it would have been much quicker than to go to the time and effort to come on here and tell us all how unhappy you were.
Good to know your thinking of the company in you own time :left:

I did read it you burk !
Il do what I want on my own time thank you very much.

It was so lame I think it should be classed as door2door so at least I get paid for delivering it to myself.
You dont get paid for delivering d2d anymore :Very Happy
I don't get paid anyway.. I'm Collections :)
so why ask to get paid for delivering it yourself :crazy:
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by fly-catchers »

On holiday when it arrived. Torn up before it even hit the floor!! :nana
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by datasaint »

Zicomurphy wrote: For example a scan may contain the info the parcel was sent by a clothing company and the name and address where it was sent, that info can then be sold to similar clothing companies.
Be easier for the company to simply share the address with the other company, don't need a scan for that.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by CharlesSpooner »

I had a quick look as there's always some useful snippet that can really annoy your DOM. Ours for instance would prefer we ignore "Do Not Deliver To Neighbour" and instead get rid of the item so he can save hours in the locker and get his 1st time del stats up. This little leaflet quite explicitly states that we should NOT deliver Tracked to a neighbour if the item's label states so.

I'll be sure to let him know he's completely wrong. :dance
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by Anonymouse »

Didn't open it. Got in just as the bins were getting emptied so popped it in there.
HarryPoorer
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by HarryPoorer »

Scanning is ok for the number crunchers but it adds time to our duties, time we don't have, also it's about time the Post Office counters were told to apply them correctly and how important they are. 100,000 leaflets and envelopes about scanning is defo bad for the environment.
Perfecto
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Feb 2016, 16:18
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by Perfecto »

BeamishStout wrote:But still no info given as to the continuing saga re 2D bar codes. AFAIK the only users of these 2D tracks are RM themselves. Neither the sender nor the receiver sees the information given each time we scan the 2D bar codes. Whenever our office dips below 90% of these test scans then it is woe, woe and thrice woe in WTL. Really RM....Even had a LINO come to our paired duty to let us know that we had missed 1 of these 2D codes otherwise we would have got 100%. Wow the disappointment of it all was too hard to bear. :crazy:

I sent a load of parcels from the post office and saw that they had printed a 2d barcode on them but nothing was said about them being trackable. As a customer I have no way of tracking these parcels or being notified that they have been delivered even though DOM tells us daily that this is the case. A colleague with info from a big mail centre nearby says that it is just a way of RM to get statistics of how many parcels are not being delivered first time. Our office is a leased building, RM do not own it, and the idea according to him is that with the push to get all 2d barcoded items delivered first time (which includes pretty much includes all items like tracked, signed and specials) is that when the lease on the building expires RM can move us into a bigger mail centre thus saving RM the cost of leasing our current delivery office. After all 100% delivery of these items means no customers need to collect anything.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by ScousePostie »

We'll never get 100% delivery rate unless we are allowed to start throwing parcels over fences and stuffing parcels in bins (only for them to be emptied an hour later) like our 'competition' do. It's no wonder the competition have high first time delivery rate when their staff are told 'get rid of them all, by any means', and that is exactly what they do.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Scan-dal

Post by 2pints »

You get angry over these postings? :arrrghhh :crazy:

My manager told me that only 2 companys use the 2d tracking tech at the moment,one of those being amazon.So unless it is an amazon parcel we are probably wasting our time.