Well the job is unskilled work, but even in unskilled work you still need to receive some training, casuals & new starts just don't receive good enough training. When I started I did 1 weeks training on a duty with the duty holder, then the following 3 weeks after that I covered the duty while he was on leave, this was before all this vans & van sharing nonsense though. Now it seems like the training is done on the spot with it being left to the partnered walk to explain things while trying to do the same amount of work that is supposed to fill up 2 regulars day.wacko74 wrote:Exactly.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:I really feel for new starters these days, who often have no clue how physically and mentally challenging being an OPG is until they start. Hopefully they are taking their paid meal relief, or taking account of any untaken, depending upon any local agreements about not taking the outdoor element.
It's quite laughable that our job is classed as ''unskilled''... I've seen quite a few people come in to the job from skilled and professional backgrounds and they've all admitted (those that have actually lasted at least!) that the job is far more involved, high pressure and mentally challenging than they ever expected it to be, not to mention far more physically demanding as well.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
how can I solve this?
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
how can I solve this?
The way I would solve it would be quite simple, I'd tell him it's not my job nor place to tell anyone you partner with me that is unfamiliar with the route to 'hurry up', it's a management issue. I would then say it's quite simple, if you want me to complete the duty & deliver all items, there will be OT claimed more than likely everyday. If you don't want me to claim OT, I can return to the office on time & place any undelivered items on your desk on my way home.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
how can I solve this?
The problem is Plumb..... Wacko is only Part Time, and on Probation. We know what we're entitled to, and what the DOM should be doing. If we're lucky enough to have a permanent Full Time Duty we're in a much stronger position than those Part Timers. I know enough Full Timers who don't have the confidence to confront a Bullying Manager, and an equal number who work on the "I'm alright Jack , Stuff you" principle.ThatsNotPlumb wrote:The way I would solve it would be quite simple, I'd tell him it's not my job nor place to tell anyone you partner with me that is unfamiliar with the route to 'hurry up', it's a management issue. I would then say it's quite simple, if you want me to complete the duty & deliver all items, there will be OT claimed more than likely everyday. If you don't want me to claim OT, I can return to the office on time & place any undelivered items on your desk on my way home.
demanding as well.
It's easy for us to say "Grow a Pair" or "Tell the DOM to stick it"but not everyone's got the confidence to do it. At least this site helps in letting Posties know how it should be working, and what they're expected to do!